Not a SNL Skit

Another ad, not hard hitting, but a funny premise: Lord Damp Nut is looking for a job and visits a recruiter somewhere.

The funniest moment is when the recruiter is putting on hand sanitizer after reading about sexual assault, and I don’t really think that’s a subject to make fun of.

I’m not sure who it is targeted to, but I would have to guess white professionals with a college education… in other words, Biden voters.

So excellent premise, good execution; the actress is top notch. That said, it has an offensive moment that will disturb some members of its target demographic, and whatever market analysis they did for who they need to reach this late in the game is way off.

I’d give it a C to C-minus.

(H/T Scissorhead Purplehead)

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Not a SNL Skit

1. MDavis says:

I’m not sure what the offensive moment is… Do you mean the accusations of sexual assault? “Twenty-six?” (drops paper, sanitizes)
    Those accusations LDN dismisses with a “Never happened. She’s not my type. She’s too old, She’s to skinny. She’s too ugly.” deserve to be mentioned somewhere.

“I’m not sure who it is targeted to…”
    Could be the millions of people out of work due to COVID-19 and wishing the even had the opportunity for a job interview. Compare with any resume you have ever written or read.

MDavis –

Sexual assault does need to be talked about, but not as a joke.

As I said, it’s an excellent premise Trump applying for a job like the rest of us and being profoundly unqualified. It comes late in the cycle for the target demo who probably already have made up their minds and voted. 6 months ago, maybe it would have been timelier as everyone was being fired.

2. ming says:

I must be the target demographic. Works for me.

So… you had not made up your mind before this?

That’s the problem, it’s reaching the people already committed to Biden. 6 months ago, it would be a different story.

• ming says:

T.G. – Not everything is or should be directed at those magical unicorns, the undecided voter. I think the ad does what is likely intended, reinforce potential independent, centrist, and Republican never-Trumpers that have made up their minds to vote for Biden and help ensure that they make it to the polls. The ad also may help keep home Republicans that can’t stand Trump, but cant bring themselves to vote for a Democrat. So, I guess what I’m saying is that it takes a broad approach to appeal to a wide segment of the public. The ad is well done, widely shared on the intertubes including my favorite hangouts, and although it may be preaching to the choir, preaching to the choir is an absolute necessity because the choir is carrying the message to the wider community.

As for those magical unicorns, they are most ridiculous segment of the voting public. I’m not sure anything cuts through the din of the voices in their heads.

Ming –

There is nothing wrong, per se, about reinforcing people’s belief in a product; that’s branding’s purpose. I think if this ad had been shown really early in the campaign it would be an A+ for defining your opponent. At this late date, ads should be about convincing the cynical that their vote counts. This doesn’t touch on it.

I agree with you about the Unicorn sitting on the fence.

My unscientific proof that this ad appeals to people already committed: my friends who had seen it already had voted. They passed it on to their circle of friends… who had already voted.

• purplehead says:

I sent it to people I know, who have all voted. I just don’t know any fence-sitters or wingers. Guess I’m in a “bubble,” no? The thing is, who is this for? Who would be swayed by it who hasn’t already been in outrage for four years? Preaching to the choir, as they say. I have a good friend whose older sister is a Trumper (ugh), lives in Trump country (Coeur d’Alene). But she won’t send this to her sister because nothing ever has made a difference, and usually it just makes things worse for them being able to have any conversations at all. So she never brings up anything political, tries to keep peace, because they are “family,” dontcha know. Her sister baits, though, and constantly tries to push buttons. Trumpers be Trumpers be white supremacists be damaged people.

The interviewer is wonderful. I wish there were a credit for her and her acting.

• MDavis says:

Sometimes “but they are family” just isn’t enough to continue communications.

3. Czippie L'Shimp says:

No need to tell us it isn’t SNL. If’s funny, ispo facto…
    Ever since SNL went out of their way to normalize Trump before the last election, I’ve pretty much taken the “Fuck SNL” position pretty hard. Though their distinct lack of quality kind of makes that a hat on a hat.

As to this ad, I thought it was done quite well. Intelligent, subtle; all the things that’ll go sailing over a Trumpist’s head.

4. annieasksyou says:

Greetings—
    I came here via a link on Infidel’s blog. I had included the job interview ad on my blog
    (followed by a plea to vote and last-minute information) because: a) I thought it was funny and clever: b) I felt it was worthwhile to give Biden voters some reinforcement; and c) I hoped that maybe, just maybe, it would encourage a couple of voters that they really should get out there and help banish this guy.

Though I consider myself sensitive to anything related to sexual assault, I thought that gentle poke was a powerful reminder of the skin-crawling impact of the Access Hollywood tape.

Welcome Annie –

I’m a little pedantic about advertising: I used to work for one of the big agencies.

While all of those things you said are true, I still maintain that this ad would be A+ if it had been released at the beginning of the election cycle to define your opponent before he can define himself. As it came at the end of the cycle, though clever, it is not likely to persuade the reluctant voter to come to the polls, and at this late date that is the only sort of ad to run: convince the cynical that their vote does matter.

Tengrain

PS – I love your blog; I think I’ve linked to you before from Crooks and Liars!

• annieasksyou says:

Well, that’s lovely to hear! Thanks so much. I’m now checking “Notify me of new posts,” which I had intended to do earlier.

I didn’t realize your blog was WP, so AnnieAsksYou has been in my RSS reader (which does the heavy lifting for me, anyway), but it is nice to get notifications.

• MDavis says:

I appreciate your comment. It’s a better articulation of what I was trying to say.
      Tengrain’s point still holds true, though. I guess liberals and democrats tend to be a little slow of the mark. Down with consensus. It never happens.
      By the way, “Twenty-six?” holds a new meaning for me since this video.