Axios tells us sumpin’ we already know: Hair Füror is planning on hideous revenge for the disloyal:
If President Trump wins re-election, he’ll move to immediately fire FBI Director Christopher Wray and also expects to replace CIA Director Gina Haspel and Defense Secretary Mark Esper, two people who’ve discussed these officials’ fates with the president tell Axios’ Jonathan Swan and me.
The big picture: The list of planned replacements is much longer, but these are Trump’s priorities, starting with Wray.
- Wray and Haspel are despised and distrusted almost universally in Trump’s inner circle. He would have fired both already, one official said, if not for the political headaches of acting before Nov. 3.
The emboldening in the next para is mine, not Axios’ — and let’s not forget that after the impeachment this is EXACTLY what Hair Füror did, destroying lives, careers, and reputations:
Why it matters: A win, no matter the margin, will embolden Trump to ax anyone he sees as constraining him from enacting desired policies or going after perceived enemies.
- Trump last week signed an executive order that set off alarm bells as a means to politicize the civil service. An administration official said the order “is a really big deal” that would make it easier for presidents to get rid of career government officials.
- There could be shake-ups across other departments. The president has never been impressed with Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, for example. But that doesn’t carry the urgency of replacing Wray or Haspel.
The article even speculates the Low Barr might be on the list because he has not moved to investigate Lord Damp Nut’s political enemies.
And now for the loyalty tests:
Chris Liddell, Trump’s deputy chief of staff for policy coordination, is heading the White House’s transition effort, including vetting potential new Cabinet officials, two White House officials told Axios.
- He’s working closely with White House counsel Pat Cipollone and Johnny McEntee, who runs the Office of Presidential Personnel and has been conducting “loyalty tests” to weed out “Never Trumpers” from the administration.
- In 2016, Trump famously blew up his own transition process. The officials said Liddell is determined to avoid a repeat. Liddell declined to comment.
Pure speculation here, but these political appointment types are not in this for the money (they worked for lobbyists before or are otherwise independently wealthy), they are in it for the glory. Let’s be blunt: these people will be damaged goods no matter when this nightmare ends. They should look forward to getting out of the 4th Reich and trying to rehab themselves.
Being You’re Fired’ed by the orange moron should be like being knighted.