Meanwhile, In Possum Hollar

Possum Hollar Town Square (h/t Scissorhead @NamelessCynic)

The Daily Yonder:

Rural Infections Break Record for Fourth Week. Total of Rural Cases Breaks 1 Million.

Covid-19 spread in rural America at a record-breaking pace again last week, adding 160 counties to the red-zone list and bringing the total number of rural Americans who have tested positive for the coronavirus to more than 1 million.

Nearly 70% of the nation’s 1,976 rural (nonmetropolitan) counties are now in the red zone, a term used by the White House Coronavirus Task Force to designate localities where the spread of the virus is out of control. Red-zone counties have a rate of at least 100 new infections per 100,000 in population.

How do you reach the people who don’t believe in science and do believe in Prznint Stupid when he lies to their faces?

This is a catastrophe.

This entry was posted in Lord Damp Nut, The Russian Usurper, Pandemics. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Meanwhile, In Possum Hollar

How do you reach these people? You can’t so don’t bother. I live in one of those red-zone counties and they are reclosing the bars and restaurants in two days. Meanwhile, our republican representatives are howling at the moon and the rubes are demanding that businesses defy the orders and remain open. Therefore, corporations are more important than people. The spice must flow even in bumfuck Egypt.

• The held a maggot rally here in Baja AZ and our mayor Reminded the that there’s a mask mandate in force, and oh, yeas, you fuckers still owe us $86,000 from 2016.

She got the expected trumpian response…fuck you! on both counts.

Mrs BDR and I briefly entertained placing a mechanics lien on AF1…

• ali redford says:

Exactly. I live in a similar place, and there is even an official outbreak. Dumb ones keep saying things like, “Yawn.” “People get sick, and some die. Circle of life.” They’ve all gone sociopathic.

2. Sirius Lunacy says:

Obviously you can reach them at Hooter’s. But after you do so you’d better go across the street and get tested.

3. Dennis Cole says:

Only tRump can reach these people, his is the only voice they’ll even consider listening to, and if he performed an abrupt about-face, began giving sciency advice, and continued in that vein, they would suspect QAnon finally took control of Dear Leader.

4. w3ski4me says:

I can attest to the current and rampant stupidity. I live in a rural county of Blue Ca. The post office customers never seem to wear a mask though the Post Mistress does use one for a chin strap. The local store owner’s son wears a mask but most of his customers don’t. In the nearest actual town of 4000 people, it’s about a tossup. Many stores require a mask but some don’t bother to enforce it. The Hospital now makes you take a fresh mask to enter, I like that idea, no bandanas.
    It’s not a surprise at all that rural ignorance is causing a large spread of the Virus. Perhaps after the election, we can begin to enforce common safety protocols universally.
    Also, after the election, there will be a huge additional need for psychological services for the politically/medically insane.
    w3ski

• Dennis Cole says:

w3 – Hey, I’ve got an idea! Howzabout some fine re-education camps? Only, we’ll call them something else, something soothing yet delight-filled, something like “Happy-Time Adult Day Camps.” With FREE MAGA merch!
      I’m sure there will be lotsa leftover red hats and shits, and even some discards, enough to accomodate any takers.

• w3ski4me says:

Yes, reeducation camps are the idea, the problem seems to be renaming it to something they’d accept.
        w3ski

• Dennis Cole says:

w3 – and the free MAGA merch is just to draw them in. Part of their reeducation will be to wean them off it slowly, using words of just one or two syllables, and short, simple phrases they can understand.
        Sadly, most Recovery-from-addiction centers will admit they have only about a 5% success rate. But if we can get the rubes to pay each time they pass through, we just might be able to retire the National Debt.

5. Sirius Lunacy says:

One of my co-workers was lamenting that even if Biden wins in the biggest landslide ever that 30% of the people will believe the election was rigged. Bit I think that we will have about 10% who the the election was rigged and another 20% who despite knowing it wasn’t will carry on, rant and rave as if it was.

• T_Reg says:

Actually, I consider the election to be rigged no matter who wins. It takes a great deal of faith to believe that voting machines and tabulators will be honest, in the face of repeated instances of statistically impossible events and the failure to verify results with a public hand count. In this area, I’m an atheist. Not “show me the money!”, but “show me the ballots!”.

6. MJG says:

I disagree – this is not a catastrophe, This is the predictable result of the trump’s CoronaPalooza tour 2020.