And with that, all of the Tax Cheating moved off the front page. Hard to ignore that this could be a ploy, but…
In a letter, White House physician Sean P. Conley said the president and first lady “are both well at this time and plan to remain at home within the White House during their convalescence.” He added that he expects Trump to continue the duties of his job as president “without disruption.”
The announcement that Prznint Stupid has contracted the Trump-Virus has personal, political, medical, financial and national security implications. Election Day is 32 days away. The Stock Market (which is not the economy) is falling.
First the personal, as I am generally a decent human being, I wish for Lord Damp Nut everything he wished for me.
What Maddow says:
Handsome Joe Biden:
Political is a little tougher to suss out, but nothing changed… yet. Tiger Beat:
1) EVERY MOVE MADE, every word uttered and tweet published by the White House will be under a microscope as the world tries to understand the health of the most powerful man in the world. We will be looking this morning for test results and assurance from VP MIKE PENCE and Speaker NANCY PELOSI.
2) THE WHITE HOUSE does not have the public’s trust, and at a time like this, that’s important.
3) THE PRESIDENT will be quarantined for some time, so the 2020 CAMPAIGN as we knew it will be effectively paused in its final stretch. How can they allow TRUMP in a room with the 77-year-old JOE BIDEN for another debate at this point? How can TRUMP hold another in-person rally? It seems extremely unlikely.
THE ENTIRETY of the president’s political message was that he handled the coronavirus pandemic well, the end was in sight, and people should think back to before the onset of the virus when they consider their vote. TRUMP’S diagnosis will make that quite tricky.
- Debates: I hope that they do get cancelled. They were changing format, regardless, and so if they have them in separate places (zoom!), they can easily cut the mic on the gibbering shitgibbon. –WaPo: “As debate commission considers rule changes, Trump signals he’ll reject them”
- Unless he relinquishes “power” to Mike Pence, Lord Damp Nut is still running the country. (I also think it shows how unimportant Pence is that he was not in any of the inner circles that caught this thing! He’s only there for the Jeebusland people.)
- If Lord Damp Nut gets seriously ill, there is the 25th Amendment that makes Pence the President, who then needs to select a VP, which has to be confirmed by the House and Senate, and good luck with that.
- If LDN goes home to Satan (given his age, his weight, and any other comorbidities that we do not know this is not much of a hypothetical), same thing happens.
- What if Pence gets it, well, then say hello to President Pelosi, whose first words will be that she is withdrawing the nomination of Justice Coathanger. Only guessing, of course.
- What if LDN dies before the election? The votes are already being cast. But remember, your vote is actually for your state’s Electors. The EC rules do not change, so the ticket is elected.
- LDN’s base is baked-in, I don’t see them breaking, and I cannot imagine anyone opposed to him suddenly changing sides. We still need to vote like our lives are on the line, as they actually are.
- Can LDN cancel the elections until he is well? No. As we’ve noted before, the date of the election is set by Federal Statute. Nancy ain’t changing it.
Medical: I really hope Prznint Stupid takes his own advice and chugs fish tank cleaner.
Financial: The markets are already sinking, despite what the voodoo economists say, markets are not rational.
National Security: I don’t think much changes if the puppet is sick. Putin might act with slightly more impunity, but essentially he was calling the shots anyway. Same with Kim. Same with Ping.
Social (Axios added social, which seems right to me): So many Americans had gotten lazy about virus protection, in part because huge swaths of the public felt untouched by it.
- That’s gone. The virus penetrated the most secure house in the world. Anyone who feels safe from the virus is foolish.
- Any stigma that went with masks — always unfounded — should vanish.
- Putin Sends his regards: “I am certain that your inherent vitality, good spirits and optimism will help you cope with this dangerous virus.”
- Vice President Mike Pence’s office says he has tested negative for the novel coronavirus.
- Joe Biden is expected to get tested for coronavirus this morning.
- The Daily Beast: “Just hours before President Trump announced that he had tested positive for COVID-19, he was mingling with fundraisers at an event held at his New Jersey golf club—and even posed for personal photo-ops with supporters.”
- The WaPo: “After White House officials learned of Hicks’s symptoms, Trump and his entourage flew Thursday to New Jersey, where he attended a fundraiser at his golf club in Bedminster and delivered a speech. Trump was in close contact with dozens of other people, including campaign supporters, at a roundtable event.”
- The NYTimes: RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel tested positive for the novel coronavirus on Wednesday.
- The NYTimes: “On Tuesday Mr. Trump was accompanied by all of his adult children and senior members of his White House and campaign staff on Air Force One en route to Cleveland for the first presidential debate. None of them wore masks as they were seen boarding and deplaning. Bill Stepien, the president’s campaign manager, was seen on board without a mask and then was spotted getting into a staff van with Ms. Hicks.”
- Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) announced he has tested positive for the novel coronavirus. He was photographed, maskless, meeting with would-be Justice Coathanger.
- Biden tests negative for COVID-19
[We’ll keep this on top today and update it as needed. Fresher posts, if any, will be below.