About Last Night…

(H/T Skinny-D)

Dana Bash described it thusly: “What a shitshow,” and I cannot come up with any refinement on that. Someone on Twitter: “Biden came prepared for a debate. Trump came in determined to prevent one.” — It sounds a lot like the famous Ray Bradbury quote (“I don’t try to describe the future. I try to prevent it.”), which seems darkly appropriate.

The only thing you really need to know is that Prznint Stupid was as frantic as a pack of Beagles in a vacuum cleaner factory, and probably Adderall’ed to his $70,000 haircut.

Politico tells us about Ruthie, an undecided voter from Pennsylvania who described  the challenge Joe Biden faced as trying to win an argument with a crackhead.

Also Politico:

“Those who did persist in watching were rewarded, in a perverse way: They witnessed history in the making. The proceeding was an epic spectacle, a new low in presidential politics, a new high watermark in national shame.

I’m betting the most talked about moment, the one with some media legs is going to be:

Oddly, that shout-out to The Proud Boys was noticed:

Proud Boys celebrate after Trump’s debate callout

It’s not unfair to say that the winner of the debate was White Supremacy. Also gonna say the loser was Hair Füror, because the only soundbite is gonna be his Proud Boys moment. That he could lose the suburbs even more, that soundbite will be cited as why.

Frothy Santorum told CNN:

“…I think that was a huge gaffe. And it’s been typical of the president when he gets backed into a corner he doesn’t like to be forced to say something. He made a huge mistake.”

People are probably going to say that Chris Wallace lost control of the debate, which is true, but that was by design. Wallace selected six general topics: the candidates’ records, the Supreme Court, the coronavirus, the economy, race and violence in cities, and election integrity. “Race and violence” plays straight into Hair Füror’s campaign theme,  but at least Wallace promised not to fact-check any of Trump’s lies. Wallace also didn’t hold Trump to the agreed-upon rules.

Eric Boehlert argues that the next two debates should be cancelled, and I fully endorse that. These events are not debates (and have not been since The League of Women Voters were shoved out so our failed political press could preen) and I don’t think anyone would miss them.

The full transcript is here. The horror, the horror.

UPDATE 1: The White House brags:

(Hat tip: Crooks and Liars)

UPDATE 2:

UPDATE 3: A really good reminder that this is more than just Hair Füror, this all the Republicans now:

UPDATE 4: Scissorhead Baron vonBeavis reports from The Guardian that the Mango-hued Shitgibbon is getting rave reviews from the UK:

“Debating Donald Trump is like debating a chimpanzee: he is less likely to deliver a thoughtful and substantive answer than he is to throw his own feces at you.”

UPDATE 5:

Commission on Presidential Debates wants “additional structure” for remaining debates

This entry was posted in 2020 Goat Rodeo, Fox News, Joe Biden, Lord Damp Nut, The Russian Usurper. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to About Last Night…

1. purplehead says:

I agree. It shouldn’t be up to Biden to refuse to have another “debate” like that one. It should be up to the election commission, or whoever puts on those shows. (They aren’t debates.) They should just say, “Fuck that shit. No more three-year olds having tantrums behind a lectern. We’ll move on. Oh, and we’ll bring back the League of Women Voters, for the shit-show four years from now.”

2. Buttermilk Sky says:

America’s Black Shirts. He really is Metamucilini.

3. Also, while I was in the kitchen making dinner, Mrs BDR was watching twitter. She sent me a screen cap of this page on the Biden campaign website at 7:29 PM AZ time https://store.joebiden.com/will-you-shut-up-man-black-t-shirt/

( cue “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” ‘wa WAAH waaa’ kicker music with the ricochet)

4. beckymaenot says:

I agree- Biden shouldn’t have to cancel. But they won’t cancel the remaining scheduled debates because that would take integrity from our media and I think it’s clear- our failed press has forsaken any semblance of being fair. The false equivalencies and bothersoderisms have become ridiculous. If Biden politely bows out now- Team Evil will just say he’s scared to face Trump again. Biden is in a tough spot now. Going forward- Biden should just ignore Trump completely- answer any and all questions in as short a way as possible- bluntly with no nuance- and then pivot to a prepared statement that calls Trump out for the lying, cheating racist that he is and ask America to vote for the only adult running.

• beckymaenot says:

Both sider isms- not bothersoderism. argh.

• ali redford says:

Exactly on the bothsiderism. Sheesh. I told DH last night that when he starts getting ribbed at work, he should only say, “I watched and heard every word.”, and nothing else (we live in a Trumpeter town.) But it’s just so nauseating, even after all these years, that we continue to get the bothsiderisms, no matter what actually happens. Ah, if only you were Supreme Commander of the Universe, Beckymaenot, and I could be your assistant! 🖖

I especially like the comments coming from mothers who allowed their children to watch the debate. Let’s just say it was not the learning experience they were expecting. There are reports of children running from the room screaming and crying. Children (and animals) are always the best judges of character.

• ali redford says:

Yes they are! I recall before the ’16 election, listening to my latchkey kids talk about the election. One little girl said her minister told them that “the lady kills babies, and that sounds really bad. But she seemed more like she’d hug babies, and that man is so mean!” I couldn’t ever address those conversations at work unless I needed to make peace (never needed to,) but my heart sang!

6. MDavis says:

Here’s some cruelty with a purpose.

7. StringOnAStick says:

The next debate is a town hall format when ordinary citizens get to ask the questions; tRump has already shown he sucks at this kind of format.

8. donnah says:

I watched the whole thing. I’m not watching any more of them and I don’t care if they have a musical intro by REM. Trump was abysmal and out of control. Anyone who claims to be undecided after that should go to jail. Biden was as calm as a person could be under those circumstances, but I wouldn’t have cared if he strode across the stage and punched Trump in the throat.

No more. This is frightening and dangerous. We have to vote these monsters out in a wave.

• beckymaenot says:

Talk to everyone you know. Make sure they know. That’s all we can do. Vote. Get everyone you know to vote. Help whoever you can get the job done.