We’ve been lulled into a false sense of democracy

Trump isn’t joking about an executive order to stop Biden from running. Trump isn’t trying out new material when he threatens to cut federal funding for what he deems, ‘Anarchist Jurisdictions,’ including, but not limited to, Seattle, Portland, New York, and Washington, D.C. I suspect Kentucky just made the short list. Barr, Trump’s personal attorney was quite serious when he suggested that prosecutor’s charge  the mayor of Seattle. Trump isn’t cracking wise when he says there will be no peaceful transfer of power. It’s not a drill when Trump repetitively states that he will contest the results IF mail-in-ballots are counted. Trump and Miller aren’t seeing what will land with audiences by sterilizing women in migrant camps. And on, and on, and on, the horror show goes.

Since the day that food poisoned diarrhea face descended the escalator, America has radically changed. Between Putin, other dictators, Trump’s love affair with racism, and erasing the first African American president’s historical progress made to this country, we’ve been under siege by a regime determined to drag us back to Hitler’s reign and into Putin’s autocracy. Divisive hate, scapegoating others, and literally killing anyone who gets in their way.

We cannot afford the luxury of believing that we’re operating in a democracy, or that our democratic fail-safes will work. They will not. They have failed us under Trump and his loyalists. Democracy is more fragile than toilet paper- a pandemic hot commodity. Democracy, I’ve learned, is a gift I must fight for daily. Vigilance to preserve and defend the constitution and rule of law can never be taken for granted. Never in my life did I think my country was in danger of becoming a dictatorship or that white supremacists would be deified by a (stand-in) “president” and his cohorts.

At his core, Trump is a dictator, a psychopath, and a sadistic narcissist. He does not feel human emotions. Rather, he mimics them, ONLY when it serves him, and not very well, because he’s lazy, ignorant, and easily manipulated. One compliment buys you the moniker, ‘very loyal,’ and ‘says nice things about me.’

The avoidable, unforgivable pandemic, that’s consumed 200,000 Americans so far, is something Trump is proud of. Every death is a badge of honor for him. Knowing that millions of Americans are losing everything because of COVID-19 gives him a chipped fingernail sized chubby- it’s legit spank bank material (for his handler, obviously). Tangerine comb over is dazzled by food shortages, enthralled by steep job losses, and chuckling about increased homelessness because of the vid. White hate groups, especially militia groups who infiltrate Black Lives Matter protests, and kill people in his name, are his heroes.

Everything about this regime is grotesque and wholly abnormal. It doesn’t help that too many anchors and reporters in the MSM are shocked by Trump’s behavior. When they are, I want to scream, ‘STOP IT!’ Stop being shocked. Doing so is a proclamation that our democracy is still intact, and by extension downplays the severity of our constitutional crisis.

Why are we shocked by Trump’s behavior? How does that serve us? Even though the MSM’s coverage has improved since 2016. We need more clarity. The MSM must cover Trump more accurately. “Trump said, “X” to create “Y” result. What Trump is saying is a lie. Here is the truth. Here’s why it matters.” We also need them to stop drawing false equivalencies to Biden.

Should we continue being shocked by Trump’s behavior or his tax returns, or anything else he says or does? We know he’s a con-man, a thief, and a liar. Those are facts. He will twist and distort them at every turn. He’ll demonize everyone to get his way.

With all the terrible things happening in this country, including the loss of democracy and democratic norms, like everyone, I am overwhelmed and scared. I am also deeply ashamed to be American. Though I’ve lived abroad a few times, I always loved my country. Now, it’s a fucking punchline- didn’t see that coming. No matter what, I’m going to vote, terrified it’s the last time I’ll ever be able to. Trump is banking on my fear of voting by undermining mail-in-ballots. Let’s face it, he’ll litigate the shit out of election results no matter the outcome.

Save our country. Please vote…

This entry was posted in Get Out The Vote, Hair Führer Donald Trump and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to We’ve been lulled into a false sense of democracy

1. beckymaenot says:

From the post: We cannot afford the luxury of believing that we’re operating in a democracy, or that our democratic fail-safes will work.
    THIS IS IT. The fail-safes did not work. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. FAILED.

And now- well, now we MUST save ourselves. Talk to your neighbors, talk to your friends, talk to anyone that you have any influence with and find out their voting plan, help them develop a voting plan, encourage them to vote, help them in anyway to see that this really is the most important election of their lives.

• Becky,

You are absolutely right, we must save ourselves. Nobody will save us.

I love your ideas.

This election is the most important election of our lives. Scissorheads and others know that, but I don’t know if the majority of Americans know that. What do you think?

Thanks for reading and commenting.
      Katie

• beckymaenot says:

HI Katie-
        It’s hard for me to say what the majority of Americans may or may not know. All the people I talk to these days know what’s going on. Conversations with true conservatives, (not GOP true believers), real Christians (not the fake kind from teevee) and long time Republican voters have approached me to say they aren’t voting for Trump. I’m the out-loud liberal in my neighborhood- complete with yard signs- so they know where I stand and have gone out of their way to tell me they are not with Trump. And I have found some encouragement there. But…

I feel like it’s pretty obvious now what Trump is and what he is not. I think it is also pretty obvious that there is a solid block of American citizens that also know what Trump is and they want him to destroy our democracy. The people that are still full on Trump supporters don’t like the kind of democracy America is (or wanted to be) and they don’t like most Americans. They are “all in” for the fascist. They are the Americans who want a strongman-authoritarian government that will keep the power white and male.

These are the people we need to out vote. The only way we get to keep our idea of America is if we all show up and vote together. Otherwise- we give up the idea of America as a true democracy and will have to live with the America that Trump supporters want. One that does not even pretend to include freedom and justice for everyone. One that does not care about all of its citizens. One that will let citizens die so that the economy can remain healthy. One that will allow black and brown citizens to die at the hands of white police. One that will allow the most vulnerable among us to fall through the cracks because they do not believe in society, community or the humanity of individuals.

• Becky,

You’re absolutely right. I especially love this paragraph: “It is not enough to care about the election. We must do as much as we can to encourage everyone we know to care. And when this is all over- we mush continue to do as much as we can- because the ones who support Donald Trump and the authoritarian government he represents will not give up seeking power. They will keep coming and we will have to keep beating them at the polls if we want our democracy to thrive. This is the challenge of the self-governed. You can not be complacent. You can not stop paying attention. You have to participate.”

There can never be complacency. Democracy is far too fragile. These militia white supremacists will remain emboldened. They will not accept the results, even if Trump steals the election (saying that makes me want to vomit). Trump and his cronies want a civil war, I think.

I’ve met a few closet Trumpers who came out to me. I was so shocked. I’m a proud democrat and quite liberal. Trump has been the most polarizing person I’ve seen in my lifetime.

I still know people who are shocked by Trump and the republicans behavior. I can’t figure it out. The thing is, you summed it up quite perfectly regarding wanting authoritarianism and a strongman.

Great points. Thanks so much for chatting with me.

Katie

2. GranDude says:

What does it take to hold him accountable? Tax fraud or does he have that deck stacked too?

• To our detriment, the rich (their lobbyists) write all the tax laws, and laugh all the way to their off-shore banks. That said, you just know, given Trump’s behavior his entire life, he will likely be found to have maintained two sets of books and committed bank fraud as well as tax fraud. He has lived his entire life pushing way beyond acceptable boundaries and getting away with it, using other people’s money to bail himself out of a jam brought on by his own greed and incompetence. Claiming that all rich people do that doesn’t make it right or acceptable. The IRS would rather pursue low hanging fruit, like some working stiff claiming a head of household deduction. The IRS rarely goes after really rich goniffs who will fight back for years with tax deductible well paid accountants and lawyers.

My wife and I voted today.

• MAZEL TOV ON VOTING yesterday, Yom Kipput!

Branches of government have failed us for years. Trump has destroyed everything and sent us back decades. I’m terrified of his supreme court nominee.

I wish the IRS would go after the big debtors over smaller ones. It’s all very frustrating.

I agree with you.

Thanks for reading and sharing.

• I KNOW. I can’t believe it. He gets away with murder. What will it take?

Thank you for reading and commenting.

• DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE, I cannot figure out why he’s never been accountable for anything a day in his disgusting life. I don’t fucking get it, man.

3. Infidel753 says:

Certainly the Founders never anticipated a situation where a whole political party would become so corrupted and cowardly as to serve as enablers to a would-be dictator. The whole Republican party needs to be crushed in this election, not only Trump.

Trump gets away with anything, absolutely anything, in the eyes of his cultists, because they can’t endure to recognize that they were wrong about him and that the people they hate — liberals, experts, the “smart people” — were right all along. They cannot allow the fever dream to break and plunge them back into cold, harsh reality. But they are a minority, even if a large one. It’s up to the rest of us to wrestle the country away from them.

I haven’t voted yet — my state doesn’t send out ballots for another couple of weeks — but once I get mine, nothing will stop me!

• beckymaenot says:

I agree with you I753- we must vote out any and all who supported and allowed Trump to run rampant.

The only thing I disagree with you about is the mind set of the people who are still Trump supporters. The cultists- the ones still supporting Trump today do so no because they don’t want to be wrong. But because they weren’t wrong about him. They were right about him . They recognized him for exactly who he was out of the gate and that is why they will not let go. They want the dictator. They always have.

4. c u n d gulag says:

Preach, Sister Katie, PREACH!!!

Those of us from NYC tried to warn people, but they didn’t listen.
    The Reich-Wingers had – successfully – spent almost three decades vilifying Hillary with misogynistic bullshit, and as a result, too many people hated her without even the grace to listen to her.

Tragically, one way or the other, regardless of who wins, there will be blood.