Housekeeping Note

I’m removing the share on Facebook button. I cannot keep ragging on them and then leave that.

Also, I think that there is a privacy issue with that widget that I did not know about, that it gives FB yet more data about where you visit and what you like… even if you never clicked on the FB button.

I don’t want MPS to be part of selling your data.

This entry was posted in Facebook or Faceberg, Social Media. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Housekeeping Note

1. antiscience says:

Thank you, Tengrain. I don’t have an FB account, but still, I’m glad that you’re doing this, b/c every little bit helps. Think globally, act locally.

2. Karla says:

Thank you thank you thank you.

3. I started a Mybook/Facespace account just for this election (to slam timelines with pro-Biden & anti-Dolt45 messaging) and am dumping it right afterwards.
    Sadly, it’s a powerful tool of communication. Okay, maybe not powerful but I am irritating the piss out of a lot of folks and it does my heart good to know the bad guys aren’t going unshamed or without a pointed and wagging finger (we’re so soft).
    I can’t wait to see it all go the way of Myspace (makes fart noise) and there are signs that Zhmuck-o is afraid it might be headed that way as they just copied Twitter’s format, colors, etc.,.

4. donnah says:

Thanks for doing that. I have a facebook page for my business but I never go there. I’m glad you’re making smart choices that could help all of us.

5. Oneofthebobs says:

Thank you. It seems like everyone I know bashes Facebook, but has some excuse for using it. Glad I never used it; seems easier to quit smoking.

6. paul fredine says:

gotta admit i have the sads at this news. as a senior on limited funds i have a a pay-as-you-go phone so keeping in touch with family and friends, facebook is the one economic way i have of keeping in touch and i loved sharing your posts with them.

• antiscience says:

There’s always email, yes?

I’m really sorry, Paul, and I appreciate that you wanted to share this old thunderbolt grease-slapper with your community. Thank you! We do get a good amount of hits from Facebook, daily. I know many people are in your shoes and I understand the potential good in social media. This decision to get rid of that button does not reflect on the FB users, it reflects on FB itself.

I’ve never tried to make a dime off of the blog, and it does cost something to keep running without advertising. When I learned that little snippet of FB code was harvesting data to give them a fuller picture of scissorhead data that they collect, package, and re-sell to their advertisers, I wanted nothing more to do with it.

Best regards,

7. julesmomcat says:

Bravo! I dumped FB 4 years ago. I found it to be a classic PITA (Pain-In-The-Ass), and haven’t wasted a minute regretting my action.