Evangelicals Have Always Blamed Eve

GOP Coat hangers

Trump’s Supreme Court pick Amy Coney Barrett leaves her Indiana home with her husband and children to fly to D.C. where she is set to be officially announced as the nominee to replace RBG

One of the comments I remember in the Reagan Years was the cynical hope that Roe would never be overturned, because it would be the end of Republican fund raising. It was always about fleecing the rubes, previously.

And so here we are. The Justice from Gilead will outlaw abortion and it will come to pass that the mistresses, wives, and daughters of the rich and powerful will still have access to abortion, and everyone else, well… tough.

I know, I know, this is always supposed to be about powerful men controlling what women do with their bodies, but these powerful men are also the ones who tell their mistresses to get the abortion. It’s never made sense to me why it would be in their own interests to outlaw abortion. And these men rarely do anything that is not in their own interest.

But the evangelicals have blamed Eve for the fall of mankind from the Garden of Eden, and so women must be punished.

The Debutants of the Magnolia Ball, the perky sorority sisters of Ole Miss after entertaining the football team, and the CEO’s secret eff-bunnies will still be able to have their weekend shopping trips to Atlanta, but what is not so clear to me is what is in this for Possum Hollar? What’s going to happen to Ellie Mae when she has to drive 3 states away, or her kid sister who cannot get the permission slip signed? What’s their future

Driving abortion underground is not ending it, it’s making criminals of people who need services.  This solves nothing, but it makes life miserable and dangerous for the people who are already miserable and in danger.

This entry was posted in Choice, Forced Birth, sexism, Theocrats, War on Women, Y'all Qaeda. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Evangelicals Have Always Blamed Eve

1. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

These creeps are pro-abortion but anti-choice if the pregnancy would impact them in any way.

2. Diane says:

I predict there will be clothes hanger abortions/self mutilations on the steps of the SC and Capitol. The republicans love their shock and awe? They’ll get it.

3. Infidel753 says:

Don’t forget that even overturning Roe v Wade would not mean outlawing abortion. It would mean giving the states the power to do so. Only the “shithole” states would actually outlaw it, and most 1%-ers don’t live in Mississippi or South Dakota. Even in those states, it might result in a few more women’s votes shifting to the Democrats.

In any case, it’s not a done deal yet. Even a fully wingnutized Supreme Court can’t do anything to Roe until a relevant case is brought before it to rule on. Hopefully, before then, we can bring legislation to enlarge the Court.

• ali redford says:

We also need a serious law to protect the right to medical privacy of women, so we don’t have to rely on this SC ruling that’s been chipped away for decades, now. I think I recall that we have legislatures to do such things…

• Infidel753 says:

Exactly. If you look at the Constitution, the founders intended that the country basically be run by Congress — the presidency and the courts have usurped far more power over time than they were originally meant to have. Congress should be able to protect abortion rights nationally even if Roe falls. That’s assuming, of course, that Democrats win the Senate.

How is Ceramic Shards coming along?

This is what always frosts my cookies: So the Supreme Court rules on something, and everyone drops the ball.

CODIFY THAT MERDE INTO LAW WHEN THEY GIVE US A RULING!!!

4. laura says:

There’s going to be a whole new generation of Becky Bells who will die needlessly so that the hatred of women can continue apace. And there will always be enough ladies who hate women to assist as needed.

5. Dennis Cole says:

They’re so “Pro-life” in TX that last year the legislature considered imposing the death penalty for abortion: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/death-penalty-abortion-texas/

RBG was actually NOT in favor of abortion, but she realized it had to be The Woman’s Choice. And that it IS a “State’s Issue,” but that some Federal regulations had to apply, to ensure equality nationwide. Now, I’m not in favor of abortion, I’ve never had one, or been involved in needing one, nor will I ever need one, so therefore I really have no valid opinion on it.

But I’m sure if it HAD affected me earlier in life, I would have undergone the same angst that every to-be or could-be parent feels at the loss, however justified.

6. This solves nothing, but it makes life miserable and dangerous for the people who are already miserable and in danger

This is the problem with Rule by Team Evil: the cruelty is the point, not some sort of accidental consequence.

They’re not “pro-life*, they’re pro-control.

7. tengrain says:

I want to urge everyone to be cautious about Catholic-bashing. Twitter is having a moment, so be careful:

Don’t give fools like Li’l Marco an opening to strawman the issue elsewhere. I’m glad no Scissorhead has fallen into the trap.

Justice Gilead’s problems are many but Catholicism is not one of ’em. I’ve known plenty of catholics who use birth control, and I’ve even known catholics who’ve had abortions. I’ve also known a lot of preachers’ sons who have driven their girlfriends to the clinic. Hypocrisy over abortion is universal.

• Justice Gilead is a theocrat and it doesn’t matter what the flavor is. She wants to use authority to bring the Kingdom of Gawd to earth, and THAT is the issue.

Well her “Gawd” at least.

The founders of our country were separated from the endless wars over Christian religions that devastated Europe by less time between us and WWI.

There’s a reason they abhorred religious interference on government.

8. osirisopto says:

Maybe the virgin prince will meet up with justice Gilman and have a Kegley?

9. ali redford says:

Infidel753, Ceramic Shards is no more, as things stand. Maybe a little later in life I’ll have enough time, Thanks for asking-I had no idea that was even visible!

10. CalicoJack says:

Howdy y’all!

Making abortion illegal for the masses helps the elite GOP because it satisfies the sadistic value voters’ blood lust. As long as the marginalized rural conservative Christian white voter believes that everyone they hate is being held beneath their social rank and not promoted ahead of them as the Dems and progressive do-gooders want to do, they are happy to live in Cancer Alley, drink Flint water, and die young, quietly, and quickly. It is worth it to them as long as PoC’s and women are kept in their place — on the rung below them. This is the best explanation that I have been able to find for the phenomenon:

Huzzah!
    Jack

11. I was watching Ken Burns “County” & in the first two episodes (especially), most of the performers come from dirt-poor families with upwards of fourteen kids in the family. This is what they want. & if you die in the process, well, that’s life isn’t it. Praise the Lord.

12. donnah says:

Ohio will flat out criminalize abortion. They’ve already forced clinics to shut down and they have had powerful Right to Life reps in government positions for years. They have countless bills lined up to be sent to the Supreme Court. Most have been shot down, but versions of the Heartbeat Bill have been considered. It’s no idle threat that this state will be barred from having any clinics open if they overturn Roe.

I don’t think anything’s gained by going after the nominee’s religion. Her record speaks for itself. We have to focus on winning back the presidency and the Senate. We have to be in power so we can affect change, and that includes life and death.

Donnah –

I know that True Believer Janet Porter (née Folger) is from there and has made Ohio her personal dominion for the End Times. She has all the subtlety of a run-away train, so I’m pretty sure you are right. Stock-up on birth control, it’s next on the theocrat’s agenda.