What’s the Deal with Vitamin D and COVID?

I never thought vitamin D would be as hot as TikTok’s most viral clips. Then again, I didn’t think going viral would be an aspiration. Yet, here we are.

I’m sure you’ve heard a lot about vitamin D and COVID. Legions of Americans are inhaling vitamin D faster than disinfectant ANYTHING, because they think that it will cure or stave off COVID-19. If vitamin D cured Coronavirus, Merck would’ve made an insanely priced vaccine that nobody’s insurance would cover.

Encouraging the public to consume mass quantities of vitamin D, is as perilous as Trump begging us to shoot up Clorox. We expect nothing but ignorant, dangerous lies from that shit stain. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your purview, we assume doctors are the gold standard for disseminating credible information.

Not all doctors are cut from the same cloth. Speaking for myself, I only trust three doctors. They always tell me the truth and when they’re wrong, they tell me.

Vitamin D is billed as curative to some degree, and a supplement that can ward off our risk of how sick we might get if we contract COVID-19. Without context, doesn’t that strike you as irresponsible?

I am fucking enraged by doctors, scientists, and respected medical institutions for not giving people comprehensive information about vitamin D, including, but not limited to, getting blood-work before taking vitamin D. Malabsorption issues. Though rare, overdosing on vitamin D and vitamin D toxicity. Taking the wrong type of vitamin D. People with autoimmune and other diseases that are notoriously Vit-D deficient. Equally important, African Americans are the highest ethnic group to be vitamin D deficient because of their skin pigmentation. Sidebar: I’m still researching this. Historically, African Americans are grotesquely abused, misdiagnosed and mistreated. They’re also the highest demographic acquiring COVID-19.Here are some stats to review: State by state COVID demographics and CDC rate of illness and deaths in African Americans, Latinos, Asians, and Caucasians. Personally, I am struggling to trust the CDC under tangerine Hitler.

I read this from the Mayo Clinic, “For most adults, vitamin D deficiency is not a concern. However, some groups — particularly people who are obese, who have dark skin and who are older than age 65 — may have lower levels of vitamin D due to their diets, little sun exposure or other factors.”

Are you fucking kidding me, Condiment Clinic?! Why omit the aforementioned issues I raised above? Doctors take the Hippocratic Oath, which states, in part, “First do no harm.” By withholding facts and omitting information, they’re causing harm.

If a doctor said to me, “Katie, I’d like you to take a 10-day course of antibiotics” without explanation, would I take it? Fuck no! I’d ask why they were prescribing them and what it was supposed to treat. If they didn’t give me a credible reason and had no blood-work to corroborate their treatment plan, I’d tell them to take their prescription and shove each pill up their ass for ten consecutive days.

When it comes to supplements, why don’t we follow the same logic? Why are we so eager to believe that vitamins and supplements, and in this case, any type of Vit-D we choose, is safe to take? Vitamins and supplements can be as risky as any prescription medication, street drug, or sucking on a Lysol wipe. Frankly, I don’t understand why vitamins and supplements aren’t prescribed. Perhaps it’s because they fall under the umbrella of homeopathy, which sits neatly between organic and natural, and is an absolute LIE. Vitamins and supplements aren’t natural or organic. Shit, they aren’t even FDA approved. Something made in a factory that’s FDA approved doesn’t mean the product itself is FDA approved. Props for slick AF marketing.

As someone with Graves’ disease, more often than not, I’m Vit-D deficient. I know this because I get blood-work every three months. My doctor shows me my blood-work and tells me what type of vitamin D to take. If I’m really low, then I need a high dose of prescription Vit-D. If I’m not so low, I can take a specific over the counter Vit-D. The moment I’m tanked up, my doctor tells me I can stop taking it.

I know we’re in the middle of a pandemic. Going to the doctor is terrifying. That said, I am deeply concerned that people are free-balling their vitamin D intake. I worry about the consequences of that.

A recent article claimed, “There’s Only Weak Evidence For Vitamin-D As a COVID-19 Preventative—But Scientists Are Trying to Learn More: Just don’t overdo it, because too much can be toxic.”

What are your thoughts, Scissorheads?

Thanks for having me, Tengrain!

This entry was posted in Coronavirus and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to What’s the Deal with Vitamin D and COVID?

1. keith says:

Excessive vitamin D too quickly to catch up can give you kidney stones, as I found out.

2. Lauren Romeo says:

As a physician, I recommend getting a Vit D 25-OH test and is deficient supplement with a combo of D3 and K2. Yes, malabsorption is a problem but you can overcome that with doses 2000 – 5000IU. Look that up there are many resources.

• Hi Lauren,

Thank you for sharing this. Question, do you think that people should get their blood tested before taking vitamin D?

Thanks,
      Katie

• Lauren Romeo says:

Yes, the test is Vitamin D-25-0H, as I stated. I was deficient myself and it effected my bone density, so ask your own doc about it.

• Lauren,

I appreciate you responding and letting all of us know that you test for Vit-D before dispensing. As mentioned, my internist checks my blood every 90-days and part of that blood-work includes checking my Vit-D levels.

In my opinion, and I’d love to know yours if you’re comfortable sharing it, is that taking vitamins and supplements shouldn’t be done blindly. Rather, it should be done under a physician’s care.

thanks,
      Katie-

• StringOnAStick says:

I’m one of those mal absorption people, maybe because I’ve had my gall bladder removed (Vit D is fat soluble, which is why you can overdo it, unlike water soluble ones where you pee out the excess). I am not obese and I’m outside in the CO sunshine at least 5 days/week for many hours, and I have no autoimmune diseases. My blood level was down to 12, which the doctor above will tell you is very bad; the vertigo and soul crushing exhaustion was my doc’s hint to test my D level. Too much lower than that and you’re in heart attack territory. We monitor my D level annually, currently 5,000 iu does The job.

The Canadian Cancer Society recommends 2,000 iu/day for everyone. Granted they are further North with tough winters, but low levels of D are implicated in colon cancer as well as reduced ability to fight viral infection. This info is easy to find and verify, but since our health insurance system is a total clusterfuck, we end up with situations like you describe.

• String on a Stick, I couldn’t respond to your comment directly. You’re absolutely right about the issues vitamin D deficiency can cause, among others. For clarity, I said autoimmune and other diseases. If that wasn’t clear, I apologize.

You really feel it mentally and physically when your Vit D is dangerously low. I’m glad that you’re so on top of it. My greater point was the importance of blood tests before taking Vit-D or any other supplement.

I love this point you made and agree, “low levels of D are implicated in colon cancer as well as reduced ability to fight viral infection. This info is easy to find and verify, but since our health insurance system is a total clusterfuck, we end up with situations like you describe.”

I’m glad you monitor your Vit-D. I think it’s important, especially before taking it.

Thanks for sharing.

3. Thank you for this Katie Schwartz who I love so much. There is so much stupid information and damn the doctors that push it. I used to have to take high dose D years back, because I had the blood test that Lauren Romeo spoke of. When my levels normalized I got off of it – and they have stayed normal.

• I love you, Franny girl, always have and always will.

Though I’m sorry you were dangerously low on vitamin D, I’m really glad you got blood-work to see how much you needed. I’m thrilled you don’t need it anymore. xoK

I’m glad that Lauren Romeo was willing to jump into this conversation a bit.

• Lauren Romeo says:

Unfortunately, I have to continue to supplement due to my Celiac Disease, but I went from 23 to 69 nmol/L in three years and have no bone loss, now. I hope the best for anyone dealing with this, it can be daunting. Other things that can be helpful: GF diet, low carb and eating meat, eggs or fish.

• Hi Lauren,

First, I want to thank you so much for jumping into this conversation. Being a physician, I really appreciate your insight and willingness to discuss.

That said…. I am really sorry you have to deal with Celiac Disease, it’s a really challenging disease. Diets are incredibly restrictive. I can’t believe how many things have gluten in them. What appears “safe,” isn’t always the case.

I am very glad to know that you’re not dealing with bone loss at present.

Be safe. Stay well. Thanks again.
        Katie

4. keith says:

Alas! The blood thinner ruins that idea.

• Hi Keith, that’s what I mean when I say autoimmune and other diseases, etc. There are so many people with Vitamin D issues. In my opinion, I think it’s really important to get vit D blood-work before taking it and making sure you take the one that’s right for you. What do you think about that?