To Mask, Or Not To Mask

(Hat tip: Scissorhead @NamelessCynic of the electronic Tweeter)

Yesterday, CDC Director Robert Redfield told senators that masks are the most powerful public-health tool the U.S. has against coronavirus, and might even provide more guaranteed protection than an eventual vaccine:

I will continue to appeal for all Americans, all individuals in our country, to embrace these face coverings. … [I]f we did it for six, eight, 10, 12 weeks, we’d bring this pandemic under control. …

[W]e have clear scientific evidence they work, and they are our best defense. I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against COVID than when I take a COVID vaccine.

Redfield predicted that the country would have enough vaccine doses to actually return to “regular life” (whatever that means) by the third quarter of 2021. And you can probably see where this is going!

No one puts Baby in the corner. Noted herd mentality enthusiast Prznint Stupid said Redfield had been confused about the vaccine timeline he gave senators:

“I called him … ‘Why did you say that long?'”

The LATimes email thingie:

President Trump contradicted the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Robert Redfield, and announced that widespread distribution of a coronavirus vaccine would begin as early as next month, further rattling the scientific and public health communities and stoking rival Joe Biden’s claim that Trump can’t be trusted to oversee development of a safe vaccine.

Lord Damp Nut, besides the implied Mafiosi threat against Redfield,  also undermined Redfield’s mask advice:

“[T]he mask is a mixed bag. There are some people — professionals — … that don’t like the mask, because of the touchiness and the touching and then you’re touching everything else.”

Those professionals? Waiters.

I’ll tell you who those people are — waiters. They come over and they serve you, and they have a mask. And I saw it the other day where they were serving me, and they’re playing with the mask — I’m not blaming them — I’m just saying what happens. They’re playing with the mask, so the mask is over, and they’re touching it, and then they’re touching the plate.

So, when in doubt, follow your instinct: Don’t listen to anything Lord Damp Nut says. He’s probably lying because: why not.

This entry was posted in Distancing, Flush The Toilet Properly, masks, Pandemics, Shut Yo Mouth Fools, Vaccine, Wash Yo Hands Fools. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to To Mask, Or Not To Mask

1. Spocko says:

Here’s my view of one possible timeline.
    Trump WILL have a vaccine ready in October.
    One DOES exist. it will have already been given to 30,000 people. That will be the people in the trial, NOT new people.
    He will claim that they count because technically they DID get the Vaccine! (If it is a double blind then 15K didn’t get it but I digress)
    Then he will say “It’s distributed everywhere, to millions” It won’t be. It will go to DONORS with Millions and It will go to a handful of people in states he wants to win. (“Our brave First Responders in Wisconsin and Ohio have received vaccinations for this China plague.”
    He’ll make the people around him take it (He might too if they don’t die instantly)
    He’ll tell the press he sent “millions of doses” to states but the STATES screwed up distributing them.
    Any contradicting of this information will be FAKE NEWS because the media doesn’t want him to win the election.

Yeah, I think we all are on the same page for the October surprise. He’s been broadcasting this for a while, so I’m not sure how surprised we will actually be.

My bet: The Media will totally fall in line. That’s who is easy to surprise.

• beckymaenot says:

Yep- that sounds about right. Fuck that guy.

Yesterday, FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen M. Hahn was on our local Public Radio show called Closer Look with Rose Scott (WABE Atlanta) and he did a great job of explaining the expedited process for the covid vaccine. He came across as a serious, science based, medical professional and even addressed the difficulty in combating bad information out there. Rose pressed him about the idiot in the WH and he didn’t take the bait. But he did – strenuously- recommend masks, hand washing, social distancing and science. He also strongly underlined that the FDA will NOT approve a vaccine that is unsafe or ineffective. He was very clear that the expedited process does NOT include cutting corners. You can google the show- but it’s not available yet online. Probably tomorrow. It did make me feel better about the vaccine we will eventually end up with.

2. Spocko says:

Dr. R.M. Renfield dealing with Lord Damp Nut

3. Dimitrios says:

Why is it that these asshats can walk around maskless, cheek-by-jowl, uninfected, while others can follow every rule to avoid coronavirus contagion and still fall to its symptoms and outcome? Are the asshats perhaps provided with Covid-19 survivor plasma?. Or are they truly from another planet who are impervious to our diseases and reality? Or are they merely asshats who are too stupid to realize they are running up their luck for a harder fall.

In the meantime, remember that science—although not as flashy as religious magic nor charismatic-if-oily charlatans—are our best chance for surviving the challenges of our real world.

• sos says:

I doubt they would try convalescent plasma as a prophylactic. There are “live” virus particles in plasma (by definition), injecting that into a healthy patient wouldn’t be ethical. This is one reason why CP needs to be thoroughly tested in clinical trials. It’s unknown in this use, it could make the patient worse if given at the wrong time of the disease progression.

However I heartily support experimentation on LDN, the riskier the better.

4. Dennis Cole says:

Oh, dear; I’ve got R. Renfield on my “You’re Fired’ed” Bingo card…

5. sos says:

I did read an interesting theory that masks could be performing as a primitive vaccine. It is known that there is a ‘dose response’ with COVID2. It is speculated that since masks are not 100% effective; the “small amount” of viral particles that are inhaled may be too few to overwhelm the initial response of “innate response” interferons and lymphocytes. However there is enough to stimulate the “adaptive immune response” which would be specific to the invading virus. This “training up” of virus-specific antibodies is effectively the function of vaccines. It would be kind of analogous to the original small-pox vaccines composed of live cow-pox.

6. Sirius Lunacy says:

• Dennis Cole says:

Sirius – this is a song I sing along to, to help my lungs cope with the COPD, as it fits my range, and I can really belt it out. It’s also my favorite version of the B-G’s hit, so I may as well confess to liking them also, besides.

“No one ever told us about the sorrow…” indeed.

7. MDavis says:

Here are a couple of head-banging responses to this, showing what scienceis up against.
    Kevin McCarthy
    “If I just take the words of the CDC and the president, the president is right,” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said at a news conference, pledging that the U.S. would “have a safe and effective vaccine this year.”
    Mark Meadows
    “If I were a betting man, I’d bet on President Trump,” White House chief of staff Mark Meadows added in an interview on Fox News — saying his conclusion was “based on what I know behind the scenes [and] how quickly we are moving on the clinical trials.”
    and “So I’m not sure where Dr. Redfield got his particular timetable,” Meadows said, “but it’s not based on those that are closest to the process.”

8. Dennis Cole says:

“And we will continue to stand at this podium and lie our flapping lips off, in a sorry attempt to salvage our position of power…” he didn’t mutter at the end.