Hi From Scissorhead DC

Scissorhead DC

Dennis writes,

TG – this was last week, the last time I got out on my bike, before the air got too crappy. Yes, that’s an oxygen tank strapped to the back, on the rack, and it takes me like 15 mins. to put all those pads on, get the oxy line in, the mask and then the brain bucket, but I promised all you Scissorheads some pics (or there’s no proof!), so go ahead and post them if it’s OK.

I’m only posting this one picture because: 1) I like his smile in it best and B) the other pictures if you put them all together include enough info that people with bad intent could figure out his addy.

Send wolf whistles his way, peeps.

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Hi From Scissorhead DC

1. spotthedog says:

Ride on DC!!! I’m a bike rider too, enjoy!

2. Dennis Cole says:

Yeppers, my new steed. The best part is the motor doesn’t assist unless the operator is pedaling, also, besides, as well. But, it requires no more effort than “chair-marching,” which is simply lifting your legs into the air, alternately, while sitting at your desk. It has 5 PALs, Power-Assist Levels, and an 8-speed derailleur, effectively giving me FORTY gears to choose from. And it barely slows down while going up the steepest hills, I can either choose a lower gear on the Shimano, or press a button for more juice, or use a quick, temporary throttle-boost lever.

It’s the most fun I’ve had since I had to quit riding, from not having the leg-power or the “windage.” Which is why I carry the oxygen, and also my rescue inhaler. And, that ride was a record for me – almost 10 mi.

• is it street-legal? requiring a license?

• Dennis Cole says:

zrm – No, it’s considered a “motor-assisted bicycle,” Class 2, with a speed restrictor set at 20 mph. It WILL go faster, going downhill, (or if you go online and research how to override the governor, but that shortens the motor’s life,) and the other thing I forgot to mention is that bike weighs in at just over 80 lbs, with the oxy tank, two cable-locks and a U-lock. Class 3’s can go up to 25, but any faster than that, they’re considered a “Moped,” just one step down from a scooter.

• Perturbation says:

Probably doesn’t require a license any more than a <100cc scooter requires one. I have a friend with a pedal-assist electric bike who’s described how she loves pacing those intense guys with thighs out to here and the bodysuits and the works, they’ll stand up in their pedals to lose her but she just keeps on them pedaling casually, not breaking a sweat.

• Dennis Cole says:

It’s amazing, and everyone tells me I made a wise investment, because I get a workout at just the right low-impact level, and it’s really all about movement: those leg muscles are the largest on your body, so just lifting and dropping them repeatedly IS a workout – for me, anyway, but you can exert yourself and really make that thing zoom.
        And the other benefit is, barring a flat tire or some similar calamity, as long as I have battery power, it will get me home, no matter how tired I become.

3. Dennis Cole says:

And I should mention that it came fully-equipped, except for the panniers – fenders, a hefty rack that’s rated for 30 kilos, a super-bright LED headlight, (but no taillight,) hydraulic brakes, and all the reflectors required. I spent over 200 hrs researching these bikes before buying this one, so if anyone’s interested in availing themselves of that research, I don’t mind ‘grain giving my email addie to you, to help expedite YOUR choice.

• David L Keller says:

Thanks for the description. There are many people in the coming decade who will get to extend their outdoor exercise and transportation through some form 3-wheeled, or electronic bicycles. I’m paying attention to this.

• spotthedog says:

The booming growth and innovation in e-bike world is amazing. I’m strictly old school leg-powered for the time being but its interesting to know such things are continually being developed and improved, getting my attention too.

4. total biker unwillingness to give up. Ride on, brother!

5. who could have bad intent to such a handsome fella?

6. moeman says:

Fucking awesome !

7. Scottie says:

Hello Dennis. Wonderful and grand. The joy you have for the bike radiates out of you in the picture. Best wishes. Hugs

8. purplehead says:

What a cool set up. And it makes you so happy. Look at that face! I have a couple of friends who now use electric-assist bikes, and their faces look just as radiant as yours. They both have difficulty walking (bad hips, bad knees, bad back, bad neck…”Golden-fucking Years,” my ass. Fucking Golden Years, my ass.) Getting those bikes perked them right up! One of them, on one her first spins, got that thing going 34 mph. In a 25 mph zone. She inadvertently passed a cop. Ooops! She slowed right down. She didn’t think the cop was paying attention because she was on a “bike.” She said it was a blast going that fast. Yikes.

9. Dennis Cole says:

purp – yes, it IS a blast, but going that fast on a bike is a bit unnerving. But that’s when the weight becomes an advantage, because it really is quite stable, and I have many of those same maladies, along with difficulty walking. And being able to “go with the flow,” keeping up with city traffic makes riding through town a breeze, even where there aren’t bike lanes. And I’ve noticed the majority of drivers are courteous, and if they want to pass, they wait till it’s safe.

But because there are a few Bozos out there, I wear all those pads. If I get knocked off, and hit the pavement at 20 – 25 mph, they will offer some protection, and my helmet is rated for up to a 25-mph impact. I figger the few brain cells I have still functioning are worth a $50 brain-bucket.

10. Weird Dave says:

Lookin’ good there kid.

Be well and stay safe.

11. ming says:

Sweet ride – What’s the top speed on that thing? I have a friend who is 83, and old professor of mine, that rides an e-bike these days. I love seeing him out on single-track miles from town. I asked him once if he had ridden bikes all his life. He said not yet. Words of wisdom.

• Dennis Cole says:

My top speed, on level ground, pedaling with some “oomph,” is 21 – 22 mph. I’ve had it up past 30 going downhill, with no assist from either the pedals or motor. There’s a slight adjustment I could make to the “governor” to get it up to 25, but it’s not recommended by the mfr.

And I’ve been riding seriously since I took the training wheels off at around 4 yrs old, and I’ve had to rely on a bike and buses in the past. I bought it to be like a second car, to help make my car last longer, and for the exercise, and even when I had a reliable car, I preferred to ride when the weather’s nice enough.

12. beckymaenot says:

Nice rig. I love the way you smile DC. KFG- (the motto of me and mine- .Keep. Fucking. Going.) Lotsa love from Atlanta.