RIP, Diana Rigg

“Mrs. Peel, we’re needed.”

And with those words, every show began.

I’d be lying if I told you I didn’t have a crush on Diana Rigg from boyhood-on. My first memory of Diana Rigg was I was very ill with an extremely high fever, maybe 8 years old. My parents wheeled in the portable teevee and kept it running so if I woke up in the middle of the night there there would be someone there and I wouldn’t be frightened. Mrs. Peel was on when the fever broke and I’ve been a fan ever since.

Rigg was so much more than Mrs. Peel, and we should all be aware that she was the only Bond girl to get her man. But she’ll always be Mrs. Peel to me. She will be missed.

(UPDATE 1: I didn’t realize I told the story before! Amazingly consistent, tho!)

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to RIP, Diana Rigg

1. Wesley Sandel says:

One look at Ms. Peel in that one-piece leather outfit broke my heart permanently

2. Redhand says:

Sad. Remember her from my boyhood too, and it was cool as hell seeing her still at it in GOT. Gone at 82. The older one gets, the younger that seems. My Dad lasted into his 90s.

3. Sigh… this is all making me feel very old…

4. tengrain says:

2020 sucks eggs.

5. RedDirtGirl says:

I had a cat named after her.

• fuyura says:

I had a cat named Emma: partly after Emma Peel and partly after my grandmother.
      Also once dreamed I got married to Emma Peel in Notre Dame cathedral.

I enjoyed growing up in the 60s

6. Sirius Lunacy says:

She most definitely had M appeal. Vale Diana.

7. Steve-O says:

There were two women who made me want to rush to puberty: Diana Rigg in those catsuits, and Nichelle Nichols. Diana was bad enough, 2020 better leave my Uhura alone.
    Rest easy Queen of Thorns

8. Martin Pollard says:

My memory of Ms. Rigg will be as Mrs. Gillyflower, the delightfully cackling villain of the 2013 Doctor Who episode “The Crimson Horror” from the Eleventh Doctor era (an episode that also starred her daughter, Rachel Stirling, as her blind daughter Ada Gillyflower, and marked the first time the two had acted together).

9. MDavis says:

Mrs. Peel? I did sometimes wonder who manage to land Miss Not-Peel and make her their Mrs.

10. Karla says:

I wanted to be her – either Mrs. Peel, or Diana Rigg. She was a great female role model for the time. I never missed an episode.

11. Dimitrios says:

I loved Diana Rigg as Mrs. Peel (Lord. what a name!)

Again nearly forty years later as Mrs. Bradley in Mrs. Bradley’s Mysteries, Don’t know why the BBC only did one season, but while they ran it was fantastic!.

RIP Dianna Rigg, she’s another great British Dame whose like we will not see again.

12. Pingback: RIP, Diana Rigg – FairAndUNbalanced.com

13. Big Bad bald Bastard says:

Mrs Peel was on when the fever broke and that’s when the fever started.

There are few problems that can’t be solved with a well-placed kick and an arch smile.

14. Sirius Lunacy says:

15. I was a little girl in the 1960’s (born 1960) & Emma Peel was what I wanted to BE when I grew up. Oh those fab boots & those leather outfits & that cool demeanor! & she was a brunette, like I was. The Avengers was one of my favorite shows at the time & of all time. SO COOL.