The Evening Quote

Remember that trip to Europe when Cadet Bone Spurs wouldn’t go to put down a wreath at the American Cemetery, claiming that the rain wouldn’t let him helicopter there and the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him, but we all thought it was because he was worried about his wig getting mussed up? Turns out we were right! (emphasis mine)

“Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day.”

“In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit [to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018], Trump said, ‘Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.’ In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as ‘suckers’ for getting killed.”

Anyone still think Admiral Weener could get the military on-board for an armed coup?

Well then, whaddabout this quote:

On Memorial Day 2017, Trump visited Arlington National Cemetery, a short drive from the White House. He was accompanied on this visit by John Kelly, who was then the secretary of homeland security, and who would, a short time later, be named the White House chief of staff. The two men were set to visit Section 60, the 14-acre area of the cemetery that is the burial ground for those killed in America’s most recent wars. Kelly’s son Robert is buried in Section 60. A first lieutenant in the Marine Corps, Robert Kelly was killed in 2010 in Afghanistan. He was 29. Trump was meant, on this visit, to join John Kelly in paying respects at his son’s grave, and to comfort the families of other fallen service members. But according to sources with knowledge of this visit, Trump, while standing by Robert Kelly’s grave, turned directly to his father and said, “I don’t get it. What was in it for them?” Kelly (who declined to comment for this story) initially believed, people close to him said, that Trump was making a ham-handed reference to the selflessness of America’s all-volunteer force. But later he came to realize that Trump simply does not understand non-transactional life choices.

I’d put it about 0% that he has any support from the military.

This entry was posted in 2020 Goat Rodeo, Lord Damp Nut, The Russian Usurper. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Evening Quote

1. “I don’t get it. What was in it for them?”

Let us not forget…this occurred before Kelly took the job as Trump’s Chief of Staff…

I would have spit on trumps shoes and resigned on the spot.

But then I don’t have that gnawing and heroin-esque jones for power and influence that it takes to be a member of the Trump administration.

I don’t know how Kelly can live with himself having served that sociopathic monster as long as he did; my god the sheer amount of shit he had to eat in that job….

2. purplehead says:

So Fetid Felon is saying if someone shot him dead, he’s a loser? OK, then.

I like people who weren’t captured. I like people that weren’t dead either. Vote for me.

4. Redhand says:

So this is what he really thinks of “our great military,” as he likes to call it. I think we all knew this based on what he said about McCain, so the only thing that really surprises me is that he’s so fucking stupid he’s oblivious to the impact that these statements have on others. It’s the verbal equivalent of him being on stage at one of his Nuremberg Rallies, dropping his trousers, and literally wiping his ass with the flag.

He deserves some kind of gruesome medieval execution, but I’ll settle for criminal prosecutions that hound him the rest of his rotten life.

5. Astamari says:

The latest poll from a military pollster has him at 49% but that was before this explosive article. I think many military don’t ordinarily pay much attention to politics but if they get this active, contemptuous dissing of their heroes from the C-in-C, there’s going to be a lot of anger. Whether that translates into votes this year is anyone’s guess.

It’s a mad year. Nothing is normal.

6. Infidel753 says:

WTF. This is beyond words.

7. Sirius Lunacy says:

The only reason Trump cares about dead soldiers is that then they can’t march in an inaugural parade to honor HIM.

8. YellowDog says:

As soon as you read it, you know it’s true. It is essential Trump that you do nothing for anyone else and nothing without getting paid. The presidency is a grift and a dictatorship would be a better grift.

YellowDog,

Yeah, that’s pretty clear. But his floor of support (and ceiling) are never changing. I don’t know if even this will peel any of them away.

• YellowDog says:

I won’t affect the 30% base that thinks he was sent by their god to smite the libtards. Nor will it affect the ass-sniffing toadies (hat tip to Wilson or Schmidt for that one–I don’t remember which; either could have said it) who have tied their grift to his grift. But it may pick off enough “independents” in places where that makes a difference. I am not hopeful for a big effect. We passed peak Trump outrage long ago.

9. Pingback: The Laddie Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks | Mock Paper Scissors