Because We Need A Little Class Around This Joint

This thread is spectacular, whether or not you’re a book reader.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Because We Need A Little Class Around This Joint

1. w3ski4me says:

I want a book from the very top shelf.
    w3ski

2. Dennis Cole says:

I don’t know how many of you are familiar with Jenny Lawson, who goes by the moniker, “The Bloggess,” but her lifelong dream has always been to own a bookstore. She finally realized her dream, right in the midst of the pandemic, but she’s been doing OK, from her reports. Here’s one from just the other day, on Independent Bookstore Day:

It’s worth a browse-through, and if you can find it in your heart to make a purchase, please do so, as these small independents need all the help they can get.

• Lsamsa says:

Woohoo. Thanks Dennis for the info. I love reading Jenny Lawson’s blog…found The Bloggess a number of years ago and was immediately hooked. What an incredible woman she is and so bloody funny.
      I haven’t visited for a while, so yes, I’m certainly excited to check it out!

• MDavis says:

There must be some book that I simply must have. I’ll have to go look.

3. skinnydennis says:

My daughter Eva worked 8 years at the Beinecke Library at Yale, in the rare books section, before becoming Archivist at Pacific University in Hillsboro OR. Just a bit proud of her.
    Here’s an interior shot at Yale. That’s a 6 story climate controlled glass enclosed box, “the stacks”.

Exterior is impressive too.

4. purplehead says:

I’m really surprised the Seattle Public Libarry isn’t pictured. It’s really strange and space-wasteful and different and unique from any of those other baroque libarries.

Yes, Purplehead, I wondered about that, too. Also. It’s maddenly beautiful and completely useless.

It was built by Bill Gates, and it runs on Windows, so periodically things go bonkers there. The “art” and annunciator panels go offline, so you not only don’t know what floor the collection you seek is on, but you don’t even know what floor YOU are on; also the inclined floors in the stacks are freaking annoying because really, you still have no idea where you are since there are not floors as you corkscrew your way around. The elevators go to approximate locations, but when Windows quits, well, you just kinda guess and when you get off you get to decide to go up or down the corkscrew because who knows! It’s fun when the book shelving carts get loose, too. Wheeeee!

But the views are spectacular, the lighting is amazing, and even on rainy days you can still see the raw beauty of the Puget Sound. As annoying as it is, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Form over function.