About Last Night… ‘An Ally of the Light’

Here and now, I give you my word: If you entrust me with the presidency, I will draw on the best of us not the worst. I will be an ally of the light not of the darkness.

It was as fine an acceptance speech as any I’ve ever heard or read, and I think that ally of the light is going to remembered long after this era is over. It’s just a lovely way of phrasing something we all kinda know: this is a good v. evil election.

This is as close as Joe came to calling out Lord Damp Nut by name, and it definitely has a bit of Lord of the Rings imagery:

May history be able to say that the end of this chapter of American darkness began here tonight as love and hope and light joined in the battle for the soul of the nation.

The Un-Convention has a lot going for it; we’ve mentioned that it focused so much more on We The People than on the pontificating politicians, the Roll Call Vote as a travelogue is an absolute hit, but here’s something that Axios noted in the their morning email thingie in a series of tweets: the dang thing was hella short! And that is ALWAYS good news!

I’d be lying if I didn’t tell you that Brayden Harrington was the emotional highlight of last night; if you didn’t see it, it’s worth the 2 minutes of your time.

There were many other fine moments, but Brayden gave us a powerful testimonial about Handsome Joe’s kindness and decency. The over-arching theme of the Biden candidacy is, “I Am You.”

Next week we will have American Carnage: More Carnage. Gird yer loins!

This entry was posted in 2020 Goat Rodeo, Joe Biden. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to About Last Night… ‘An Ally of the Light’

1. sos says:

Thankfully LDN is infinitely more stupid than Sauron.

2. laura says:

Next week is going to be a klusterfail of epic proportion. Slap dash, last minute, no one in charge, hate shrikes young and old, brown people booga booga, tax cuts, forced birth, winning, and boat parades. Trumpenvolken blood lusting and airing of grievances as only the sorest of winners can do. As the bodies continue to pile up and the sheer magnitude of the criminality is revealed. I’ll be taking a peek now and again from my couch cushion fort.

• Yes, I saw that essentially the plan is Trump standing up and ranting every night. There may be other speakers telling him how great he is, but No one else is going to get much spotlight if any.

• spotthedog says:

Will “Build The Wall!” be replaced with “Buy The Boat!”?

• ming says:

It will truly be a hate-a-nanny but I’m hoping for some quality counter programming by the Lincoln Project* and the Dims who seem to be getting a little scrappier.

*Yeah Yeah, I know, but they’re landing some body blows, so I don’t care for the moment. Time enough in the future.

3. The current president has cloaked America in darkness for much too long. Too much anger. Too much fear. Too much division. …

Maybe it’a a byproduct of binging on the Star Wars canon last weekend (Mrs BDR had not seen all of them, and sitting in a cool darkened living room watching movies is a good way to spend 110° days…) but is it wrong that I read that and hear it in Yoda’s voice, hmmm?

4. spotthedog says:

Sleepy Joe, gaffe-prone Joe; nope. Just a very fine, well thought out, and well presented speech. I think I’ll vote for him.

Can’t wait until next week. I want to see if Ted Nugent still has teeth.

6. Buttermilk Sky says:

Brayden Harrington is incredibly brave. I fully expect the Trumpoids to accuse the Biden-Harris campaign of “exploiting” him. Because they’re so solicitous of people with disabilities.

• MDavis says:

And we also have heard how solicitous trump is of 13-year old children. IYKWIM

You know somewhere there is a campaign aid telling LDN “that –though funny– you really shouldn’t do an impression of a stuttering 13-year old boy.”

It’s only a matter of time before he takes a swing at stutterers.