‘Oops,’ Said Faceberg (Part Infinity)

So lifelike.

From the MIT email thingie:

Health misinformation pages got half a billion views on Facebook in April

The news: Pages spreading health misinformation got an estimated 3.8 billion views on Facebook in the year up to May 2020, according to analysis by human rights group Avaaz. Views peaked at nearly half a billion in April 2020 alone, just as the pandemic was rapidly escalating globally, it found. Content from 10 websites spreading health misinformation received almost four times as many estimated views on Facebook as content from 10 reliable sources, such as the WHO or CDC.

What can be done about it? Arguably, Facebook could just ban the websites Avaaz has identified. The company promised to start taking a more proactive approach to fact-checking and removing covid-19 misinformation in April, but stopped short at saying it would alert people who have viewed or shared falsehoods. In its report, Avaaz says that taking this step could start to make a big dent in the number of people who believe in misinformation. It also says that Facebook needs to “detox” its algorithm by downgrading misinformation posts in people’s news feeds, thus decreasing their reach.

Facebook is the worst. They won’t do anything, count on it.

This entry was posted in Facebook or Faceberg, Our Failed Social Media, Social Media. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to ‘Oops,’ Said Faceberg (Part Infinity)

  1. beckymaenot says:

    Quit Facebook. You won’t miss it.

    Liked by 2 people

    • tengrain says:

      Seconded.

      Liked by 2 people

    • sos says:

      Research by activist group Avaaz found health misinformation relating to the pandemic was viewed 3.8bn times on the social media site [Facebook] in the last year. Just 16 per cent of all misinformation analysed in the study carried a warning label, with the remaining 84 per cent remaining online without a warning.

      tl;dr: Facebook is literally* killing us.

      *yes, literally not “figuratively”

      Liked by 3 people

    • Perturbation says:

      I quit in January after 10 years, and the main thing I’m missing is seeing otherwise intelligent friends behave like the kind of idiots that Facebook turns everyone into.

      Liked by 2 people

Comments are closed.