About the Eviction EO…

About the Eviction Protection Executive Order Hair Füror decreed:

President Donald Trump’s vow to protect millions of Americans from the threat of eviction has one serious shortcoming: It would do nothing to help the vast majority of the country’s tenants.

Lawmakers have been unable to agree on extending a federal moratorium on evictions as part of their negotiations over the next economic relief package. But the ban itself shields barely a quarter of the nation’s 44 million rental units — only residents of buildings that have federally guaranteed mortgages.

The rest live in rentals with private mortgages, and millions of them could face eviction even if the federal government extends the ban because dozens of states have either offered tenants no protection or have let their own moratoriums expire.

Our pals over at Electoral Vote look at the possibility of law suits:

If the Democrats decide to sue, one issue is standing. The eviction XO is probably the easiest to go after. All they need to do is find someone who rents out a room in his house (or an apartment) with a tenant months in arrears on the rent and who could normally be evicted. This “landlord” is clearly damaged by the order and would have standing to sue. For the student loan order, a bank or holder of a student loan would have standing. For the others, maybe the House itself.

In other words, the EO is largely toothless and would not have applied to most vulnerable people anyway.

This entry was posted in Lord Damp Nut, The Russian Usurper, The Miracle of the Trump Economy. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to About the Eviction EO…

1. Stony Pillow says:

Biden and the rest of the Democratic leadership should unify behind a message that any Federal employee who obeys an illegal order to seize the election will not only be fired but will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Bet they don’t, though. True colors and all.

2. Dennis Cole says:

When millions upon millions have suffered the ultimate in indignities – being stripped *by their very own Gov’t. of shelter, food, and even the means to sustain basic levels of those – and THEN they’re told they can’t vote without an address…….do you think maybe they’ll become upset enough to overthrow this petty tyrant? To finally march on Washington DC?

I sure hope so, but I’m ready right now. But instead of marching, I’d have to roll; I’m back in the wheelchair again, fightin hard to regain use of my legs, and I’ve been cut-off of my pain meds by my Dr, with no explanation.

Oh, DC, eff no!

We wish we could help (speaking for everyone)

• Dennis Cole says:

It’s no big deal, it’s not like I’m severely crippled, it’s just the Neuropathy; it’s an almost unbearable burning sensation, along with debilitating “pins & needles” feelings, which are more like walking with your shoes filled with broken glass, while having barbed wire wrapped tightly around your calves.
        The pain meds I was on were meant to help reduce my dependency on Fentanyl, but they turned out to be harmful to my liver, although my Pain Mgmt specialist accused me of somehow wrecking my liver by other means, and wanting to return to the Fentanyl, which worked so well previously, but the DEA and FDA are putting extreme pressure on the Drs who dispense them, to stop ASAP. It was such a tiny amount, but it helped diminish the pain enough I could walk almost normally, and function quite well, without appearing to be “all doped-up.”
        And, since the closure of all the gyms here in Cali, I can no longer practice my Aqua Aerobics at the Therapy Pool at my local YMCA, which was THE most beneficial form of exercise for me. I got to a point where I could actually jog in the water, which I lost the ability to do years ago, on dry land.
        So that’s what my new ebike is for – a replacement for that, but riding it just doesn’t provide the proper amount or type of exercise my legs & feet need, so I’m sort of at a nadir; I just gotta grit my teeth one more day, until I can speak to the mgr of the Pain Clinic.

• osirisopto says:

yes, very sorry to hear this DC

• CalicoJack says:

Howdy DC!

I’m sorry to hear about your ailment. You certainly are putting your best forward, but it cannot be easy. I’m hoping for your visit to the manager of the Pain Management Clinic. Let us know how it turns out. If they don’t hook you up, I’ve got a cousin… I’m just saying.

Huzzah!
      Jack

3. Infidel753 says:

I was rather horrified when I read Electoral-Vote’s take on this. Just imagine the optics of Trump issuing an order to protect (some) tenants from eviction and the Democrats supporting a lawsuit to allow evictions to go forward. Terrible. That one action all by itself, if the Democrats were dumb enough to do it, could probably cost us the whole election. It doesn’t matter that Trump’s order wouldn’t have done much good anyway — voters would react to their perception of which side each party is on.

Luckily Pelosi has shown she’s smarter than that. The smart thing to do would be to focus on the payroll tax “holiday”, which is of only marginal benefit to people who have jobs (and of none at all to those who don’t), and is pretty obviously an attack on Social Security.

Yeah, I had a similar boxed-in moment, Infidel. I don’t think that the Dems are going to fall into that trap, per se, but the whole set of executive orders is untenable.

Here’s where I think the curtain is pulled back: you either get a relief check or you don’t. Reality hits right at that moment.

• osirisopto says:

Fortunately with LDN involved you know he’s going to screw it up. If he hasn’t already.

I’ve heard so many different things about this EO I don’t know what to believe.

The story I’d like most to believe is that the EO is simply a directing HUD to evaluate the need for an eviction moratorium on a property by property basis.

I’ll wait to hear what DemocracyNow has to say before I believe anything about this.

4. Eck! says:

if your evicted you loose you ability to vote.. your address of record is not valid.
    That is what the present govenrment wants.

Eck!

Eck –

That’s true, but you can file a change of address, and it can be to a POBox and in many states you can list a public place as your legal address including public parks (but you do need to know the address of the park; google helps here). It’s a lot of hoops to jump through, but you need an address for any assistance.

And I think you can get a provisional ballot either way, but again, I think someone going homeless has a lot of things to deal with that probably rank higher than voting.

5. CalicoJack says:

Howdy y’all!

They say Trump is a counter-puncher which means he is so executive dysfunctional that he cannot initiate or sustain, but only react. This is a case in point. Because his narcissism won’t let him do anything that might pierce his mighty veil of narcissistic delusion, he cannot actually do anything that might is able to be objectively judged as succeeding or failing. He’s got a photo op and bragging rights. As long as no one looks too closely — Fox News and the GOP won’t — no one will notice that he’s not actually done anything to better the average person’s life. Like most of his “achievements,” these “executive orders” are just so much smoke and bluster and will screw the average person in their end.

The only real solution is focus on the big picture and not the minutiae. The only pertinent question is “who can get us out of his mess?” and not “is x this a ‘good’ policy or not?”

Huzzah!