About The VP Race

Horse Race Reporting: Comin’ round the bend…

Regular readers already know that I don’t like horse-race journalism, and I generally try to avoid anything that has that stench of handicapping candidates. That said, SWEET JEEBUS JOE, DO NOT PICK SUSAN RICE!

I get it, no matter who Handsome Joe Biden chooses is going to immediately have a target painted on her back, but I hear the benghazi! Benghazi! BENGHAZI!!1!* engines rev’ing already; and of course because she worked so closely with The Kenyan Usurper, the nuts on the right have already defined her! It’s not fair to Rice, but she has conspiracy theorists salivating and that just makes the attack ads all the easier for them.

In the end it is Biden’s choice and he’s lucky because he has such a deep bench from which to choose. I don’t think that for Biden-voters any of the most-often named VP candidates will break their support (or increase it, either), but I do think that some candidates will get Wingnuttia and Possum Hollar riled up. Biden does not need to make it easier for them.

*Full Disclosure: Late Amb. Chris Stevens was a friend of mine from high school, and the b-B-B!!! rantings personally hurts my old circle of friends and his family. They/we have gone through this more than Chris’ memory deserves.

This entry was posted in 2020 Goat Rodeo, Joe Biden. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to About The VP Race

1. Perturbation says:

I’d like to see Tammy Duckworth as Biden’s running mate. She doesn’t shy from pointing out to chickenhawks that she served and sacrificed and telling them in no uncertain terms where they can shove their false patriotism. Just the mention of her name makes Tucker Carlson fill his trousers, and if that isn’t an endorsement I don’t know what is.

2. Dennis Cole says:

And the aroma down-ballot is not so sweet as a rose by any other name: Sen DiFi, and Nasty ol Nancy just gotta hag, er, hang in there for one more ultimate power-trip, er, term in Congress, rather than stepping down, and allowing some fresh new candidates with some Progressive ideas and ambitions to run.

• The only vote I’m NOT casting will be for Prez. I can’t get past the stench. And since I live in CA, no way does my non-vote affect who wins.

Yeah, a whole shitload of Jill Stein voters [spit] felt that way in 2016, too.

Voting for the Lesser Evil is voting against the GREATER EVIL!

• Perturbation says:

Yeah I also live in a state that’s 99% certain to give its electoral votes to Biden. But I’m not playing games with this. Clinton wasn’t my choice in the 2016 primary but I eagerly voted for her in the general, because the choice was between an imperfect candidate and an absolutely monstrous one. I have friends here and also friends in California who loudly, LOUDLY projected their sense online that voting for Clinton would soil one’s hands and when challenged about the choice they were making said, well, I live in a state where it doesn’t matter so I’m not going to dirty my hands voting for her.

But 1) what would happen if every liberal in voter in California made that same calculation? and b) what happens when the things you say online about the imperfect but non-monstrous candidate are consumed by every other liberal who doesn’t live in California?

We get a repeat of 2016 is what happens. I did not vote for Clinton in the 2016 race, and Biden wouldn’t have been my top preference this year, but I will EAGERLY pull the lever for Biden and do everything else I can to see that he gets elected. Because the alternative — another four years of Trump where everything he’s done has been validated by reelection and he’s not even constrained by the need to win another election — is unthinkable. This isn’t the year to play games.

• Czippie L'Shimp says:

I too, live in California, and I will vote for Biden at the top of my lungs. No, he isn’t my pick. Yes, there are any number of wonderful people to choose from who would better represent my positions. I will vote for him because not doing EVERYTHING I can to stop fascism is unacceptable.

I will use this election as a benchmark. If Biden wins by 85%, 15% of the country failed us, and it will be that much harder for us to be taken seriously by the rest of the world. I want to love this country again.

Watching Susan Sarandon in 2016, I learned a valuable lesson about being a white person in America: We white, (presumably Xristian) cis-gendered folks have the luxury and privilege of not having to worry about how NOT voting will affect us. America is the white man’s world.

People with privilege can keep their precious purity and decline to vote, but by not voting privileged people ARE VOTING AGAINST people who don’t have privilege.

California is the Truest Blue and Californians can skip a vote; it won’t matter. But I argue that the place to make a stand is during the primary. You want to shape the party, then work like all Hell to get your preferred candidate the nomination, that’s when it counts.

This year, California was an early king-maker, not only an ATM (like it was when I was living there). Shit, California got to vote so earlier than I ever have — I never had that opportunity when I was living there.

When the rubber hits the road in the general election, suck it up, and if you cannot vote for yourself, then do it for the people who are gonna be hurt if you don’t vote.

• This seems an appropriate time and place to quote the inestimable TBogg:

Your Mumia sweatshirt won’t get you into heaven anymore

A comment left over at digg regarding Ralph Nader:

“The Democrats really hate Nader because he points out the fact that they are asking those of us on the left to vote for them but they aren’t doing anything for us. Did they end funding for the Republican’s crime spree in Iraq? No. Have they moved for UHC? No. Have they tried to stop corporate crimes? No. Have they tried to reform the tax code to be progressive? No. Have they tried to protect homeowners from predatory lenders? No. Have they defended our constitutional rights? No. Take back the FDA from the corporations? No. The FCC? No.
        The Democrats don’t deserve my vote. They aren’t helping the left, why should the left help them?”

Let me see if I can explain it this way:

Every year in Happy Gumdrop Fairy-Tale Land all of the sprites and elves and woodland creatures gather together to pick the Rainbow Sunshine Queen. Everyone is there: the Lollipop Guild, the Star-Twinkle Toddlers, the Sparkly Unicorns, the Cookie Baking Apple-cheeked Grandmothers, the Fluffy Bunny Bund, the Rumbly-Tumbly Pupperoos, the Snowflake Princesses, the Baby Duckies All-In-A-Row, the Laughing Babies, and the Dykes on Bikes. They have a big picnic with cupcakes and gumdrops and pudding pops, stopping only to cast their votes by throwing Magic Wishing Rocks into the Well of Laughter, Comity, and Good Intentions. Afterward they spend the rest of the night dancing and singing and waving glow sticks until dawn when they tumble sleepy-eyed into beds made of the purest and whitest goose down where they dream of angels and clouds of spun sugar.

You don’t live there.

Grow the fuck up.

VOTE MOTHERFUCKERS! VOTE LIKE YOUR LIVES MATTERED ON IT…BECAUSE SOME PEOPLES LIVES DO!

3. osirisopto says:

Don’t underestimate the ability of the DNC to lose an election no matter how fucking easy it would be to win.

Remember H.Clinton refused to say she would fight to raise the minimum wage. That’s all she had to do just speak the words, she wouldn’t have even had to succeed or take time away from her impeachment to try and she would have had almost every poor slob making less than $15 an hour in the country voting for her.

But did she? No.

Choosing Susan Rice as veep would be the perfect way for Establishment Man to fuck this up.

According to the intellectural conservatives MAGAts around these parts, it’s going to be Kamala Harris. They feel it in their gut or something.