Midday Palate Cleanser

OK, maybe Penguins are not all jerks.

This entry was posted in Birds Are Jerks, Palate Cleansers. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Midday Palate Cleanser

1. Dennis Cole says:

Can featherless, flightless Pinnipeds really be considered birds? I always thought of them as some kind of weird dinosaur-reject fish-type thingies that became stuck in their own peculiar ecological niche, and thus a whole ‘nother critter altogether.

2. donnah says:

Too much tabasco in Gary’s fish taco today.

3. Sirius Lunacy says:

WAKE UP SHEEPLE! Penguins don’t really exist!!! There are only ‘black and white aquatic birds’!!!

4. sos says:

They ain’t called Rockhopper penguins for no reason. In this case not Northern or Southern, but PUNK !

5. Sirius Lunacy says:

This is what happens when you put a Rock(&Roll)hopper in with a bunch of Gent(oo)s.

6. FELINE MAMA says:

OK ya’ll can throw dissent my way.
    I was gonna post a comical sentence for this. Then, my hubby, ever the animal & general overall nature “know-it-all” saw this and said, “what’s wrong with it? That’s not even normal. It might be hurt(ing) ”
    Well. I couldn’t , ………………….. Boy, do I want him to be Soooo wrong, here !

7. ming says:

Feline Mama,
    Penguins get the zoomies when they’re excited, so enjoy with a clear conscience.

• Sirius Lunacy says:

I was just coming to post the same thing. After reading Feline Mama’s post I headed off to do research on Rockhopper Penguins and the Edinburgh zoo. Rockhoppers get the name because the prefer this mode of travel over the shuffling and belly sliding that other penguins employ. The penguin in the video is named Bruce by the way but I think his middle name is Gary.

I also learned that the Edinburgh Zoo got its first penguins in 1913 when Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen presented them with some king penguins. In 1961 the Norwegian Royal Guards were at the Edinburgh military tattoo and on one of their members, being familiar with the connection between Norway and the penguins, paid a visit to the penguin exhibit. Upon returning home he convinced his regiment to adapt a king penguin. Named Nils Olaf in honor of the man who pushed for the adoption and King Olaf V he was given the honorary rank of lance corporal and was promoted every time the Royal Guard came back to Edinburgh. He died after achieving the rank of sergeant and Nils Olaf II was adopted and started his Royal Guard career as sergeant. We are now up to Nils Olaf III who has been knighted and has achieved the rank of brigadier.

• FELINE MAMA says:

Thank ‘yous’ for your replies!! Seriously!! Esp. you, Sirius, for the thorough explanation! I was awake most of the night. Next time my hubby ‘splains’ sumin’ to me, things such as these, I will come here FIRST!!!

8. beckymaenot says:

I love me some penguins.

9. Big Bad Bald Bastard says: