Heads-Up: Both Sides Don’t

News at 11.

Our failed political press is at it again with headlines like CNN’s:

Congress nowhere near deal; unemployment benefit to expire

and Newsweek

Congress Unemployment Gridlock Leaves 25 Million on Brink of Income Crisis

and the NYTimes

With Jobless Aid Set to Lapse, Lawmakers Fail to Agree on Extension

and The Wapo

Congress Flails as Coronavirus ravages the nation and the economy stalls

It’s subtle, but it is still a Both Sides framing.  The simple truth is that the GOP cannot get their act together and when combined with their base instinct that poor people deserve NOTHING and that the gubmint cannot help, the economic crisis that Americans are facing as we go over the cliff into unemployment and desperate times is not because both sides cannot, it is because one side, the GOP will not.

The Republicans cannot even agree amongst themselves what they want. FFS, #MoscowMitch sent the Senate home on Thursday. They are not even negotiating. Nancy Pelosi had representatives from the 4th Reich (Mnuchin and Meadows) in her office over the weekend trying to work something out.

INCH BY INCH Negotiators who are crafting the next coronavirus relief package are slowly — and let me repeat, slowly — making progress toward a deal. Speaker Nancy Pelosi hosted White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin for a meeting in her office over the weekend, where they were able to at least lay out where each side agrees and disagrees. The same group is expected to meet again today, as August recess remains on hold and the extra jobless benefits have expired.

In Pelosi’s own words: “Today’s meeting was more productive than our previous discussions, but no agreement can be reached yet. Work will continue on a staff level tomorrow. Leader Schumer and I will meet again with Secretary Mnuchin and Chief of Staff Meadows on Monday,” she wrote in a “Dear Colleague” letter on Saturday. The latest on where things stand from Bres: https://politi.co/3hUoya6.

So, you know, this is dangerous turf because it legitimizes Republicans by making the problem shared. Don’t believe me? The WaPo again:

Congress deeply unpopular again as gridlock on coronavirus relief has real-life consequences

I hate thought exercises, but here we go: you can improve any of the headlines by replacing “Congress” (or lawmakers) with Republicans.

This entry was posted in Our Failed Political Press. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Heads-Up: Both Sides Don’t

1. Dennis Cole says:

But that would be one-siderism, and we can’t have that, no sir, no maam, noway, nohow. Think of the repercussions! Why, tRump might demand that they stop printing and selling their paper products and digital recreations, just like he’s doing with Tik-Tok.

But where he gets that authority is shrouded in mystery, wrapped in an enigma, and covered by Congress. Or the Senate. Or both sides, or sumthin. Because you know he’ll at least make that threat.

2. Dennis Cole says:

Caitlin, once again, has an excellent essay on this very subject, along with some admonishments (that we clearly deserve,) and some other goodies. I rarely feel let-down after reading her, and I’m often inspired.

And right off the bat Caitlin does BOTH SIDES with Biden and Trump dystopia.

When she’s good, she’s very good.

• Dennis Cole says:

But she’s right. The only difference I perceive is their visage; otherwise, it’s the same corporate-controllers, pushing the same ultimate agenda – World Domination – using different-looking and different-sounding puppets.

DC –

I strongly disagree.

Look, if you want to tell me American Capitalism is terrible, I couldn’t agree more. And if you want to tell me that American Democracy is failing, I’ll say it stinks on ice. But when you tell me that there is no difference between a fascist, proto dictator and his opponent, I want you to explain what you mean.

• Dennis Cole says:

TG – it’s all about appearances. It appears as if we’re getting a choice, but not much will change, really with Biden in charge. Mindless war-mongering and Imperialism will prevail, only it will be disguised as “plain-old vanilla ice cream.” The descent into Fascism will continue, although the PWB will apply some slight braking. It’s inevitable, it was set up this way maybe a century ago, and nothing’s really changed. I don’t see how anyone can stop it, not just one single individual, not at this point.

The Dims (wanna) giveth – Soc Sec, Medicare, Obamacare, while the Rethug’s only desire is to tear it all down, so like the schizo society we ARE, we continue to vacillate, thinking we have some input.

So maybe you can explain to me how Biden was FORCED on us by the DNC, despite the majority’s disgust with it, just like they did with Hillary. I’ve gone from being a mild-mannered Centrist-Demo, to a frothing, raging, extreme-Left lunatic, all without changing my stance or attitude one iota.

We’re under their control, and we’ll never get anywhere else without a full-blown Revolutionary Civil War.

DC –

Joe Biden won the most states’ primaries (17,660,139 votes; Bernie: 9,378,376; Warren: 2,780,873), starting with North Carolina. All those people might be surprised to learn that the DNC foisted Biden on them against their will. As everyone here knows by now, I was an enthusiastic supporter of Sen. Professor Warren, but she didn’t win enough votes to win the nomination. I was disappointed by that, too, and even though she didn’t have a chance by the time Washington voted (and had already dropped out of the race), I voted for her anyway.

The DNC are the people who raise the money. It’s dirty work shaking people down, and if I were king of the forest we wouldn’t have these stupid never-ending campaigns, Citizens United would be thrown out, and all elections would be publicly financed. But I don’t rule the forest and this is the system we got.

Hate the DNC all you want, but hate them for the right reason(s).

• Lofgren says:

What the hell was that?

• Dennis Cole says:

“Life is so very, very much more beautiful and boundless than the flat, finite and predictable world we’re told about by those who’ve been appointed by the powerful to describe reality to us.”

Kill Your TV

• lofgren says:

She sounds like a crazy person ranting on a street corner. Barely coherent, certainly not cohesive, only tangentially related to the real world.

3. Pingback: ‘Both Sides Do It’ Is False | personnelente