Lying with Statistics

This is instructive, and I gotta give Fox News some props here. They stopped the interview to insert some fact checking when Lord Damp Nut goes off into disinformation, and will someone explain to me why other news stations don’t do this?

To clarify what Wallace said not so eloquently is that the info that the 4th Reich is using is not complete: the White House cherry picked not just which countries to include, but who to exclude so that the ranking of our terribly Trump-Virus results would appear better.

Axios morning email thingie:

After Wallace informed Trump that the U.S. has the seventh-highest mortality rate in the world, the president asked White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany to provide them with statistics.

• McEnany handed Trump a chart from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control that left off countries that have lower rates than the U.S.
  • The chart also showed that Brazil and South Korea have lower mortality rates than the U.S., but Trump still accused Wallace of being “fake news.”
  • The U.S. has a mortality rate of 3.8%, seventh in Johns Hopkins University’s list of the 20 countries with the highest mortality rate.

This is really a wild interview; I can only watch it in snips because I can feel my ears throbbing as my anger rises.

This entry was posted in Fox News, Lord Damp Nut, The Russian Usurper, Pandemics. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Lying with Statistics

1. Stony Pillow says:

We need a national registry of a hundred million people who mutually pledge to each other their Lives, their Fortunes, and their sacred Honor in support of the results of the election. It should be a national mark of shame not to have your name on that list.

2. Perturbation says:

I can’t even stand to hear his asshole voice on the radio for 20 seconds. Video…my god, the asshole facial expressions, asshole hand gestures, asshole hair, asshole flop-sweat, he even somehow manages to sit in a chair like a total asshole.

This bit is even better, Wallace fact-checking Trump on the difficulty of the cognitive test he can’t stop bragging about passing. “It’s not the hardest test! There’s a picture and it says ‘What’s that?’ and it’s an elephant!”

• sos says:

Sure, the FIRST question is “What is this animal?”. But then, like at the end of the test, you have to remember the animal.

Bigly, big league hard, strongly.

• spotthedog says:

Perhaps the first test that he honestly passed on his own? No wonder he’s proud.

• MDavis says:

You could be right. I don’t think he realizes what being given this test implies. If he did, he wouldn’t be bragging.

• Dennis Cole says:

MD – it could be that he asked for it, nay, DEMANDED it!

“And while you’re at it, gimme that test, that, that, you know the one; with the clock, and the Granimals, I LOVE THAT one! Can I take it again, huh, can I? Coz I’m, like, SO good at it, and I know I’m better at it than almost anyone else….hell, I AM better at it then anybody else! I’d like to see Senile Joe do as good. He probly couldn’t even finish it, that last part is so hard!”

3. donnah says:

I have read all sorts of quotes about this interview on the Twitter Machine. I think I’ll bite the bullet and watxh, because it sounds like Chris Wallace has Trump for lunch.

• Bruce388 says:

Yeah, as much as I hate looking at him and listening to his voice, it’ll be fun to watch him thrash around in the tar pit.

Math is not hard if you know how to cherry-pick the numbers but cherry-picking the numbers makes you look like a damn fool especially during the information age. Meanwhile, in the real world…..

For the purpose of this demonstration, I am only dealing with the top 26 countries with the highest number of cases. 26 so that China is included because that’s where the Trump Virus started, as LDN loves to point out. Data is from Woldometers. Top 5 countries listed per category.

#1 in total cases? USA. Followed by Brazil, India, Russia & South Africa (China #26) [Reminder: #26 is last]
    #1 in total deaths? USA. Followed by Brazil, UK, Mexico & Italy (China #19)
    #1 in total recovered? USA. Followed by Brazil, India, Russia & Chile (China #20)
    #1 in active cases? USA. Followed by Brazil, India, Russia & South Africa (China #24)
    #1 in serious/critical condition? USA. Followed by India, Brazil, Iran & Russia. (China #24)
    #1 in total cases/1M population? Qatar!! Followed by Chile, the USA, Peru & Brazil. (Yay!
    We’re #3) (China #26)
    #1 in deaths/1M population? UK. Followed by Spain, Italy, France, Chile and the USA coming in at #6. (China #26)
    #1 in total tests? China! (Oops. There’s China.) Followed by USA, Russia, India & UK
    #1 in test/1M population? UK. Followed by Russia, Qatar, USA & Spain. (China #10)

5. osirisopto says:

Hold on a second. Are we sure that’s the real MHSG?
    I swear I saw him listening there for a second. It looked like he was actually paying attention to what the faux news speaker was speaking, too.

6. Dennis Cole says:

I can’t bear to watch to the end, but is this the one where he calls it off, or cuts it short, and then on the way out, he was heard to mutter to his aides, “100 degrees out there! Whose bright fuckin idea WAS this?”

The standard, “3 guesses and the first 2 don’t count” applies here

7. MDavis says:

First clip I saw from this interview was Wallace stopping LDN with his “Biden and Bernie signed a compact to defund the police” nonsense. They did sign an agreement and LDN had his hired help (MacAninny[sp]) bring a copy of the 100 page document. (Chris Wallace voice-over: “Defunding the police was not in the memo of understanding”)
    I guess it is time to go watch the whole thing.
    Fox News – too little, too late when the country is descending into fascism

8. Buttermilk Sky says:

What animal is the symbol of the Republican Party?