Axios alerts us to what should be great beach reading if we could ever safely go to the beach again:
President Trump’s niece writes in her forthcoming book — which Axios has obtained — that on the night her father died at 42 of an alcohol-induced heart attack, the family sent him to the hospital by himself.
- Her uncle Donald went to the movies, she claims.
Why it matters: Mary Trump, a psychologist, portrays her uncle as a “sociopath” whose worldview was shaped by watching his older brother undergoing constant torment from their father.
Among the highlights from “Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created The World’s Most Dangerous Man,” which goes public on July 14.
- The backstory on how she gave the N.Y. Times much of the source material for its 14,000 word investigation of how “President Trump participated in dubious tax schemes during the 1990s, including instances of outright fraud, that greatly increased the fortune he received from his parents.” [Axios‘ Jonathan Swan]
- Claims her uncle tormented his little brother Robert as a child, hiding his favorite Tonka trucks and threatening “to dismantle the trucks in front of him if he didn’t stop crying.” [WashPost]
- Claims he paid someone to take his SATs for him while in high school. “Donald, who never lacked for funds, paid his buddy well,” she wrote. [N.Y. Times]
- Said his sister Maryanne had concerns about his fitness for office and was baffled by his support among evangelicals: “The only time Donald went to church was when the cameras were there,” Mary Trump claims her aunt said. [AP]
I’m sure it will be juicy, I mean these details certainly are. But I already think that Lord Damp Nut is the worst person on earth, I don’t need to buy a book to confirm that.