The manager of a football team with problematic name (the Cleveland [team]) said that they were gonna change names, and the manage of the the Washington [team] announced that the team will undergo a thorough review of its team’s name.
We will save the Washington [team] some time: It’s bad. It’s really bad. You’e welcome.
Anyway, that of course brings us to sports-mad Lord Damp Nut (with a body mass index of 30.4: Morbidly obese), who you may be surprised to learn, has an opinion:
…and manages to get in a swipe at Senator Professor Warren because: why not?
Not content to stop there, Prznint Stupid decided to blurt out to the only black NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace that he should apologize (to white people?):
If you have not been following the Bubba Wallace story, essentially his crew moved to a new garage and found a noose hanging from the roll-up door. They rightfully asked for an investigation, and it turns out it was there for a long time to pull-down the door, and so therefore not a big deal and not something to apologize for. Oh, despite his claims of plunging ratings, viewership has actually been on the upswing since racing returned in May.
Always be closing, Comrade Stupid.
I can hardly wait until he reads Axios’ morning email thingie:
WNBA jerseys to salute Breonna Taylor
- During opening weekend, “teams will wear special uniforms to seek justice for the women and girls — including Sandra Bland, Breonna Taylor, Vanessa Guillen and many more — who have been the forgotten victims of police brutality and racial violence.”
“Throughout the season, players will wear Nike-branded warm-up shirts that display ‘Black Lives Matter’ on the front,” the league said.
- The back: “Say Her Name.”
Of course, that’s Womens Sports, so our misogynist-n-chief won’t really care. But maybe this item (also from Axios) will grab his attention:
Sports media companies are being forced to address shortcomings in coverage of race, and in their own internal diversity, Axios’ Sara Fischer and Kendall Baker write.
- Disney announced yesterday that ESPN Films will produce an exclusive docuseries on political activist and former NFL player Colin Kaepernick, as part of a larger deal with Kaepernick’s production arm, RA Vision Media.
- The Ringer, owned by Spotify and run by former ESPN personality Bill Simmons, has found itself on defense for its lack of diversity: 85% of the speakers on Ringer podcasts last year were white, per The Ringer Union.
By the numbers: The vast majority of sports journalists are white and male, per the “Associated Press Sports Editors Racial and Gender Report Card” (2018), which evaluated over 75 newspapers and websites.
- Sports editors: 85% white, 90% male.
- Sports reporters: 82% white, 89% male.
- Sports columnists: 80% white, 83% male.
Misogyny and Race? He’ll be on it like white on rice.