Housekeeping Note

MPS World HQ

I’m using the new WordPress interface; it’s eff’ing slow and it’s AWFUL; an absolute dog’s dinner. Mistakes will be abundant for a while, FYI.

(But on the bright side, I have something new to blame the typos on! YAY! )

This entry was posted in snark, The Small Print. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Housekeeping Note

1. revzafod says:

You’re a handsome fella, TG, if a bit hairy, but I like the collar.

• M. Bouffant says:

Not everyone has the nerve to give themselves a quarantine trim.

• revzafod says:

Are you shitting me? I’ve cut my own hair since 1962, with a few years in Germany and Vietnam where I went to barbers. Install an accordion-style mirror for rear views, use a comb and barber scissors, and I became the barber who cuts his own hair. I must have saved tens of thousands over 58 years to spend on my choice of vices.

2. M. Bouffant says:

Is this another damn conspiracy? Bugger was telling us Buggerers that their new interface would be happening “in late June”. Then it was “in July”. I am not anticipating it, & the delay certainly doesn’t make me more confident.

3. julesmomcat says:

“But on the bright side, I have something new to blame the typos on! YAY! ”
    As Dad always said, “A piss-poor excuse is better than none, at all.” As for WordPress – we don’t blame you, at all; you learn to work with whatcha (is too a wurd!) got.

4. If by “the new WordPress interface” you mean the Gutenberg abomination (default editor since WP 5.3.2, or thereabouts, as I gather), you’re not alone in thinking it’s crap. Fortunately, there is something that can be done: https://www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/how-to-disable-gutenberg-and-keep-the-classic-editor-in-wordpress/

Sadly, no. WordPress.com users cannot install plugins. I can avoid using Guttenberg by continuously creating new posts outside of the dashboard, but it is a pain to keep going back and forth.

• Oh, sad to hear that — I didn’t realise you were on WordPress.com. Maybe you need a better host then? (As it happens, I’m a co-founder of a co-op that does just that; hosts WP, that is 🙂 Aaaanyway, dunno anything about WordPress.com, but don’t they respond to user requests, like say, “can I get a non-sucky post editor please”?

In the beginning, I hosted on my own server, but WP was updating so often (seriously there was a period where it was DAILY) that I couldn’t keep up and stuff was breaking constantly. I finally decided it was worth it for them to do the updates, and so here I am.

But it was weird because there was like a flash! and Gutenberg was the default. I’ve already complained. (I think in 2018 they asked me to be a pilot and after I gave them my feedback, I never heard from them again. Very telling.)

As I said, I found the work-around to get to the old interface, but it takes a little re-training to get to it. I can use the new one, but lord love a duck, it is slow, and Previews do not work so it’s really hard to tell if it will look like what you want it to look like.

5. skinnydennis says:

Testing testing

6. Karla says:

Hence my 4 comments a few posts back — they were never showing up, so I thought I had mis-clicked.

7. Infidel753 says:

WordPress is doing this too?? The new Blogger interface blows dog too. I’m hoping they’ve gotten enough blowback from users to keep the old one as well. And this is just a year or so after Tumblr buggered itself by banning sexually-explicit material. These platforms are run by idiots.

8. Scottie says:

Hello TG. I tried it a year or so ago and hated it. For my type of posting it is a nightmare. So I switched back. Recently everytime I click the write button I get a box asking me to try it and switch. I refuse every time. The box used to say it was mandatory starting June 1st, but now it just says in the future it will be mandatory. I will continue to ignore the Gutenberg pain in the ass as long as possible. Other than that I like WordPress. Can you switch back? Hugs

9. I refuse to use it.

10. It’s kinda astounding that these big platforms (WP.com & Blogger) would be so tone-deaf that they (a) force a major change like this on their users without notice and especially (b) not offer the very easy solution to keep the “classic editor” (not exactly a gem that one either).

As tengrain testifies, maintaining your own WP install may be a major pain also — this is exactly why we chose to form a co-op to do just this: maintain a single install and use it amongst ourselves and a handful of customers (about 30-40 sites); a very flexible solution in that we do offer a set of plugins (that we deem stable enough), when needed, for non-nerd users. The founders are nerds, so the admin stuff is somewhat natural for us. You could maybe look at a similar solution: pool a few blog houses, get a decent sysadmin to do the maintenance, and share the WP install within yourselves, having some say in which plugins are available and so on?

As for “Other than that I like WordPress”: it is indeed an astonishingly stable and good system, considering it having been made with PHP https://whydoesitsuck.com/why-does-php-suck/ 🙂