The Mask of the Mango Death

Axios alerts us:

Situational awareness: Florida passed 100K confirmed coronavirus cases today, and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott warned that COVID-19 is spreading at an “unacceptable rate” in his state.

The WaPo afternoon Trump-Virus round-up email thingie:

At least 10 states, including Texas, California, Florida and Arizona, reported their highest weekly infection rates in recent days as 29 states logged increases. The national average is rising again after a month-long plateau while millions of Americans return to work, places of worship, restaurants and rallies.

The data suggests that wherever governments roll back quarantine rules, covid-19 rushes in to fill the void, which health experts predicted months ago. “But there is little sign that states are reconsidering politically popular decisions to open the economy,” our national desk reported.

NBC Miami:

One week ago, Miami-Dade’s largest hospital system saw its seven-day average COVID caseload settle into a 10-week low of 101 inpatients.

Then it hit.

“Looks like the second round of COVID is upon us,” said Martha Baker, president of the union that represents healthcare workers at Jackson.

A 50% increase in just one week…

“”This time we’re starting to see younger patients coming in,” Ellis said. “So more of 30-, 40-year-old patients coming in, late 20s.”

I know I sound like a skipping CD (I am an old and my metaphors are oldish), but everyone needs to follow best practices NOW, even the jaded Yutes of today:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Max Parsell hasn’t been wearing a mask during the coronavirus pandemic and doesn’t intend to start. It’s a matter of principle.

“Making individual decisions is the American way,” Parsell, a 29-year-old lineman for a power company, said as he picked up his lunch at a barbecue joint at a rural crossroads south of Jacksonville. “I’ll social distance from you if you want, but I don’t want the government telling me I have to wear a mask.”

Parsell need not worry: Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) has not made mask-wearing mandatory here in Florida. That’s in sharp contrast with what’s happening more than 2,000 miles away in California, where Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) on Thursday reacted to rising ­caseloads by making ­mask-wearing mandatory.

Also in the WaPo email thingie:

I’ve been seeing the valve kind a lot in Seattle, it never dawned on me that the purpose of the valve was to 1-way vent it. I figured it was like some sort of filter.

That’s really stupid.

And now I know.

This entry was posted in Distancing, Flush The Toilet Properly, masks, Pandemics, Shelter-in-Place, Shut Yo Mouth Fools, Wash Yo Hands Fools. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Mask of the Mango Death

1. I have one of those masks (in fact I really REALLY reccomend them https://rzmask.com/pages/covid-19-faqs They’re really REALLY good masks to wear in a wood shop or doing yardwork if you have allergies) but they explicitly say they don’t work both ways.

Now I wonder if I couldn’t just put a couple circles of cloth over the vent to make it work as it should…hmmm.

I can attest to the ‘simple cloth’ masks comfort. The ones we made are more than comfortable enough to put on and not take off again until you’re out of the public spaces.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/msqc/tutorial/DIY-face-mask is the instructions I followed.

We made several from about a half-yard of fabric.

• emjayay says:

I have one home made fabric mask. The problem is that without that metal bit at the top that even the blue pleated papery ones have (it’s between layers so you can’t see it, unlike on the molded construction type ones) you cannot mold them to fit and more air can enter at the top and worse more humid breath will exit there and fog your glasses.

• MDavis says:

I’ve seen recommendations for using bread ties, a bit of wire (like 16 gauge or smaller) or pipe cleaners (I guess they are called “fuzzy sticks” now that tobacco isn’t as omnipresent) and then making a little pocket for them in your mask. For a while, fuzzy sticks, elastic and precut 100% fat quarters were just gone from our local store, We’re still usually out of bandannas.

2. Making individual decisions Being a selfish entitled prick is the American Conservative way,” Parsell, a 29-year-old lineman for a power company, said as he picked up his lunch at a barbecue joint at a rural crossroads south of Jacksonville. “I’ll social distance from you if you want, but I don’t want the government telling me I have to wear a mask. don’t give a flying fuck about other people so fuck your feelings.”

There. Translated from the Cletus.

3. Oneofthebobs says:

If you want to know more, this is a good explanation of how N95 masks work.

4. donnah says:

Ya know, this is not rocket surgery. The specialists have come to the conclusion that wearing a mask saves your life. You can get them from multiple sources now and they mostly are inexpensive. Anyone claiming that their personal freedom is being threatened has an inordinately high opinion of themselves and they put the rest of us at risk.

Wanna be a patriot? Wear a damned mask!

• MDavis says:

Wearing a mask reduces your risk a bit, but more so for those around you.
      It’s when everyone wears a mask that they work best.
      There is even “the pee meme” out there to explain for you.
      It gets a “true” rating on truthorfiction – it’s a pretty accurate description except for that whole thing where you’d probably notice if someone peed on you, where you might not if someone aerosolized on you.

5. osirisopto says:

The valve mask is the Libertarian mask. The proof is that they’re everywhere in the wealthiest parts of Silicon Valley.

Y’all know the libertarian motto right? “I got mine, fuck you.”

6. robginchicago says:

Actually, some of the valved masks do contain filters within the valve itself.

7. I wonder if some of these numbskulls consider it an equally horrific affront to their FREEDUMMMMBBBB!!! that the government with the explicit threat of criminal prosecution and potentially lifetime designation as a sex offender requires them to wear clothing in public?

8. Robert Mcneilly says:

Ima try and make a mask out dryer lint and shoelaces.😂