It Keeps Happening

Last night I read news reports about a probable lynching in Southern California, and a story about another black American killed by the police in Atlanta Georgia, this man was shot 3 times in the back as he was fleeing. His crime? He fell asleep in his car in a drive-thru and it inconvenienced some people and they called the cops.

Anyway, we pick up the thread.  Axios:

Atlanta Chief of Police Erika Shields has offered her immediate `resignation, one day after the Georgia Bureau of Investigation began its review into the death of Rayshard Brooks, a 27-year-old, black Atlanta resident, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms told reporters on Saturday.

As much as we want to say it cannot happen here, it happens here all the time. It’s gotta stop.

This entry was posted in Black Lives Matter, racism, White Punks on Dope. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to It Keeps Happening

Until you take away the power of judge, jury and executioner from a police officer nothing will ever change.

• MDavis says:

As long as they have lethal weapons they will have that power.
      As long as the execution of that power results in a paid vacation and qualified immunity protects them from citizen prosecution through the court system there will be little motivation for a cop to opt for conflict resolution rather than execution.

• pwarten says:

and the big reason why police are armed to the teeth is because the NRA’s gunnuttia belief in the right to carry (and use) military-grade firearms compels cops to be similarly armed, because to be fair to them any simple traffic stop can turn into a shootout in this environment.

• MDavis says:

The road to escalation is paved with… shoot outs?

2. artahzen says:

The first rule of “Call the cops” is DO NOT call the cops unless you want someone dead. The only tool they bring to the situation is a gun and the only solution to the situation is to shoot someone. Sometimes it is your sick family member you called for help with. I know personally of a case where the cops shot the son of the house dead, without words, at the kitchen table where he sat with his mother. Sometimes it is a neighbor who is not involved but gets shot anyway. Sometimes it is your dog who wanted to sniff the cop.
    If you break into my house to steal, I will go out another door or window and let you have whatever you want. I will not call the cops. No matter who you are, you do not deserve to die for a TV. Since my only child is on her own, I have nothing to protect that is worth anyone’s life.
    Unless you want someone to die, do not call the cops. I say this with all sincerity, as a old white woman who has seen them in action. I can only shudder in horror at how much people of color have seen and not lived to write the story.

3. w3ski4me says:

I once saved a good friend from suicide. I didn’t take her to the hospital because of cops. The cops found out and wanted to take me to jail too. The friend got 3 days in a mental hospital, during which time they medicated her and then turned my friend against me as well.
    A nasty situation all around.
    Cops don’t belong making mental or medical decisions.
    w3ski

• Dennis Cole says:

w3ski – that’s why I was absolutely delighted to read in today’s paper that in my county, the Supes have decided to shuffle funds around, (not an easy trick in today’s budgeting,) and are creating an entirely new response Agency, staffed with mental health pros, both paid and volunteers, counselors, and the purchase of an older, run-down, abandoned motel to provide housing for that portion of homeless who have the greatest need.

This new program has the unconditional backing of the local Police Chief, and almost all his Dep’t. And both he and our local Sheriff have announced that new tactics and training will be taught at our local Police Academy, new rules of engagement are being discussed, and will likely be put into effect very shortly, and that that even the LE Oversight Committee will be given very little restraints when reviewing cases involving death or severe bodily injury to anyone in confinement or under the control of the police, in any given situation.

Progress. Hard-earned, well fought-for, but it brings about changes that can be painful to endure.

4. MDavis says:

I saw an account of the Atlanta shooting that said the chief was fired, and that statement followed closely on the comment that the cops’ body cams had been turned off.
    I didn’t see why the chief resigned explicitly mentioned either there or in the Axios write up.

5. pwarten says:

I think any police chief should hold off on resigning until he/she fires anybody and everybody even connected to the shooting of unarmed citizens from the cop who pulls the trigger to their immediate supervisors who failed to train and manage their team properly and so on. There is an entire chain that is accountable for the failings of trigger-happy cops and they ALL need to get flushed out when this happens, otherwise the higher ups left untouched will keep allowing it.