Layers

“Daria” —one of the greatest animated teen series ever— featured the theme song You’re Standing On My Neck as a sort of anthem for the ’90s disaffected youth, essentially about how suburban conformity was suffocating them.

And now we have an actual suffocation from an evil cop kneeling on George Floyd’s neck, and protests all over the world plaintively saying, “I Cannot Breath.” Everytime I hear that phrase, the theme from Daria starts playing in the back of my head. La-la-la-la.

So I was just randomly looking for the band Splendora to see if there was a live version (there’s not, or at least my Google-fu couldn’t track it down, but boy-howdy, are there a lot of covers!), and this version popped up (which might be the most emotionless, Daria-esque performance ever):

I don’t know if it really is Russian, but if it is, then there are layers of meaning here, and bravo to Pink Slippers.

This entry was posted in music, Pop Culture. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Layers

If I didn’t know any better I’d say that Derek Chauvin has awoken a sleeping giant with years of pent up anger. I have an old high school friend who now lives in Italy. There they are watching what’s happening in the US with alarm and are afraid they are witnessing the collapse of a failed state.

2. Martin Pollard says:

“Daria” is one of my all-time favorite animated series. In face, I liked it so much that I ran a fan site (Outpost Daria) for over 13 years, until I shut it down due to life getting in the way (and the fact that it started to be more chore, less fun).

My high school was enough like Lawndale High that I could put classmate names to every character in the show, oddly except for myself. I still have some Daria patches somewhere (they used to be on my messenger bag and I took them off when I got a new bag, but never got around to putting them on again), I have the remastered DVDs, some of the books… and on and on and on.

3. another kiwi says:

Good turnout in New Zealand. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300025024/black-lives-matter-marches-thousands-of-kiwis-peacefully-protest-against-racism
    They copped a lot of flack, especially from the RW who want to get haircuts, because we are still in social distancing mode but there hasn’t been a new case for 14 days so it may have not been dangerous.

4. I loved Daria! I keep meaning to watch it in full – thanks for the reminder!

5. Karla says:

My daughter and I used to watch Daria together. We both loved it so much that I bought her the DVD set of the entire series. (That’s how long ago it was when I bought it — people bought DVDs of movies and TV series!) I need to watch that again.

• Martin Pollard says:

Many of us still do. 😉 I use streaming services, but I refuse to rely on them and their whims if I want to re-watch something, only to find that it’s been removed (or altered; hello, Disney!). I usually rip them to MP4s and play them from a USB drive, or from a flash drive on my phone or tablet. All under my control, whenever and wherever I want.