Great Signs, Cont.

I never thought I’d live long enough to see a librarian request someone yell.

(Hat tip: Scissorhead Dennis Cole)

This entry was posted in Great Signs. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Great Signs, Cont.

1. Dennis Cole says:

Sadly, every branch of my County Library system closed down even before Guv Newsom’s “Stay-home Order, and sealed off the books and the media drop-off boxes. They made an announcement recently that they DO plan on reopening, but just the sheer logistics of disinfecting every item when it gets returned, as well as ensuring every patron entering is checked for “priors” and has their temp observed upon entry, while also ensuring that every single item touched by a patron remains un-contaminated, presents unusual & almost insurmountable challenges.
    They DID, however, pay staff to maintain the “Digital Library,” while also adding to it, by getting permissions & approvals from all the various different publishers, as well as authors themselves, so that the future looks quite rosy for the future, since Digital Access is going to be of paramount importance.

• Astamari says:

If it’s a physical book or journal, note that the virus does not do well at all on paper or cloth. Also, all the library has to do is the move any returned item to a room where it can be quarantined for 5 days then it is definitely safe. The virus likes humans not books.

• Dennis Cole says:

Astamari – that’s one of the logistical difficulties, because they need warehouse space that’s equal to double the size of the existing branches, in order to sequester & quarantine returned materials, because it requires no single item touching any other; books have to maintain social distancing too, ya know. And the Head Librarian is consulting closely with our County Health Commissioner – who’s done a fantastic job, btw – as to how long such a quarantine should be, and how to allow patrons to return safely inside the library. Which has a large number of homeless, who come to use the computers, or the bathroom, or to read and relax, and I can already hear the tremendous clamor coming from fully-fledged tax-paying patriots who will object strenuously to their presence.

2. donnah says:

Keith, honey, out your lunch in the fridge. There are squirrels, apparently.

3. tengrain says:

Scissorhead Laura –

You give me too much credit (but thank you); your comment was held up because of the key word list I set up because of the, um, threatening comments the Xristian Theocrats have lately been making here. Almost everyone here has been caught up in it at some point, don’t feel singled out.

(It took me a while to see what was happening: dinner and dishes and assorted chores.)

I’m glad it worked out for you, tho, and I trashed it, as you requested.

4. sos says:

Ironically the “Teach Your Squirrel to Talk” book is over due. Coincidence? I think not! Keith’s boned.

5. Sirius Lunacy says:

Now I want to know where this is so I can go there and yell “SQUIRREL” just to really confuse them.