Our Future, Today

Think pieces abound that office workers will be at home because the technology is so easy now and proven to work…

This entry was posted in Bad Tech, Technology. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Our Future, Today

1. Dennis Cole says:

Will this be the impetus for large-scale improvements to certain areas of the Infrastructure? Will it raise a clamor for equality, to bring fiber-optic high-speed connections to every inner city neighborhood? Will the next generation thank us effusively, for coming up with the concept that you can be a wage-slave while still sitting at home?

Nah, they’ll likely try to stuff us back into our old routines, miring us in 19th century work practices, instead of smoothly and seamlessly eliding us into a Brave New (work) World, filled with gleaming gadgets and populated by happy stay-at-homers. (Homers?)

2. YellowDog says:

My office is still trying to get Teams to work. We can’t use it when we log into our virtual desktops, and if we access it via the internet, we don’t have video. I have periodic “meetings” with people from around the country, but the meetings are via teleconference because everyone uses a different platform–Zoom, Webex, Adobe Connect, or Jabber. Now, there is Google Meet. It’s like 1985 and everyone has a machine-specific version of MS-DOS.

• We have been using Teams pretty much only as a chat tool; although I think I accidentally made a Teams video call the other day.

I currently have my Cisco desk IP phone transferred to my cell so when I call people back they ignore the unknown number, our office shared line on the same phone running in Jabber (which I keep forgetting to start…but that’s ok no one’s calling us there anyway.)

At least we’re all using Zoom though, managing umpteen different video chat clients would be a nightmare.

one of our elderly emeritus-but-still-doing-stuff-for-the-college profs called yesterday, his wireless mouse died so his ‘computer didn’t work’..he couldn’t get it open to change the battery and so we tried facetime so I could try to walk him through it. We were able to connect, then took several minutes to talk him though flipping the camera to the back so I could see the mouse…whereupon I was treated to a gloriously clear and sharp view…of his ceiling fan…

Google makes tools pretty much only for themselves and then spring them on us and wonder why they fail to catch on (Other than the Search, that is). I think that their testing consists of Larry and Sergie saying, “show us how we profit from it.”

• YellowDog says:

Ah, memories. In the early 80’s, I was the first one in my department with a PC (256k of ram and two floppy drives). I became the go-to-guy for computer questions. Later, when I left academia, I had a Compaq 386 and a Sun Station, and I became the go-to-guy, again. One of my colleagues would call me at home with questions, even after I changed jobs. Now, I use a Mac, at home and at work, but I somehow end up helping colleagues with our Windows virtual desktops.

• Dennis Cole says:

I’d like to interject here – “*Porque no los MS-DOS?”

• YellowDog says:

Sometimes I wonder why not MS-DOS. I tried the 1st release of Windows circa 1985; I’m still not impressed.

3. M. Bouffant says:

Another reason not to return:

After Coronavirus, Office Workers Might Face Unexpected Health Threats
    Stagnant plumbing systems in emptied commercial buildings could put returning employees at risk of Legionnaires’ and other illnesses.

• Dennis Cole says:

M-
      I think that the Hydroxychloroxy and the “Lies-All” will be sufficient to disinfect every workplace in America, making it TOTALLY SAFE to return to work. And of course it’s optional; we wouldn’t want to deprive ANY business owner of his basic Freedoms. Freedoms to make “killer profits,” free from any worries about the families of your deceased employees suing your sorry ass, and free to perpetuate the myth of “American exceptionalism.”

I think at this point, we’re pretty much done with the 13th Amendment…