Pop Quiz!

Every Crisis Deserves A Cocktail

And speaking of heroes…

OK that was pretty funny! She also said that it was always cocktail hour in a crisis, which is pretty solid advice.

I don’t have the ingredients for it, but if I did I would probably make the Hemingway Daiquiri, or it’s bastard offspring, the Papa Doble:

Hemingway (circa 1937)
Makes one – build in a cocktail shaker over ice.

• 2 oz best quality white rum
  • 1 teaspoon fresh grapefruit juice
  • 1 teaspoon maraschino liqueur
  • ½ oz fresh lime juice

Papa Doble (circa 1947):
Makes enough to share or declare a dividend – build in a cocktail shaker over ice.

• 3 ¾ oz best quality white rum
  • 2 oz fresh lime juice
  • 2 oz fresh grapefruit juice
  • 6 drops maraschino liqueur

So what is your crisis cocktail of choice? In the comments on a bar napkin, please.

This entry was posted in Pop Quiz!. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Pop Quiz!

1. Never been much of a cocktail person. More of a ale person myself.

Lately I’ve been sampling some local ones, like Barrio’s Hipsterville Hazy and Citrazona https://barriobrewing.co/our-beer/

Also, Founders is getting some serious distribution here, even my local Frys carrys it: Founders All-Day IPA. Picked some up last time we were in Ohio, and quite enjoyed it.

2. moeman says:

Mojito in the daytime, Dark and Stormy in the evening.

Yeah, I like rum. Preferably Eldorado or Mount Gay.

3. Steve-O says:

Bourbon.
    Oh, cocktail.
    Bourbon.

4. ming says:

Manhattan
    2 oz rye whiskey
    1/2 oz vermouth
    dash Angostura bitters
    2 Fabbri Amarena cherries with a dollop of juice

If you don’t have the ingredients, bourbon straight up is an acceptable substitute.

5. Dennis Cole says:

“Urp” Thanking the stars above that almost all of the dozen or so microbreweries nearby are offering “growler pickups,” meaning that they will fill a special 32 – 40 oz. container with whatever you request, and you drive right up, having paid by card during your order, and they exchange a full one for an empty, which they will then sterilize. And thanking Gov Newsom for allowing this.

When I “go out” to a decent restaurant I usually order a Rye Old-fashioned, NOT the syrupy sweet kind your grandma liked, either:

INGREDIENTS
    1 1/2 parts Knob Creek® Straight Rye Whiskey, or whatever brand you enjoy.
    Pinch of Brown Sugar
    3 dashes Bitters
    Splash Water
    Grapefruit Peel
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Muddle grapefruit, sugar, bitters and splash of water in rocks glass. Pour in whiskey and ice. Stir and enjoy.

6. The Match says:

Amaro and bourbon. I don’t know if it has a name, but I once saw it called an Old Man.
    A Manhattan will suffice. I look forward to a $5.00 Manhattan at Jules Mae if and when they reopen.
    And a proper, old school Martini at Vito’s.
    And an Old Fashioned at Matsu… Followed by a Suntory Highball to go with the happy hour yellowtail sashimi don.

I think about this alot…

7. quakerinabasement says:

Rye. Or Irish.
    Up.

8. Karla says:

Single-malt scotch whisky.
    In a glass. I’m not desperate enough to drink from the bottle yet.
    I’m a highlander — one of my favorites is Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14-year-old
    not a big fan of the Islays.
    Lowland is my second choice.

9. Pyed says:

I drink rum, or whiskey if I can’t get rum, but to my taste, gin tastes like rat piss, and vodka tastes like someone was doing medical testing on the rat before it relieved it’s bladder.

10. purplehead says:

Carbonated water. Neat.

• MDavis says:

I’m not the only one with this favorite, even here. I was getting neurotic.
      If I’m feeling nostalgic I might put in a twist of lemon or lime in my soda (er, carbonated water) and a bunch of ice.
      Everyday drink is grapefruit soda (Squirt is my brand). That’s every day as in one of them every day.
      In the morning it’s espresso, dark roast, made into a fancy drink with chocolate and hazelnut creamer.

MDavis –

Squirt rules.

That is all.

• Dennis Cole says:

I used to drink what I called “Squirt-drivers,” a delightful concoction consisting of one large “shot” of vodka, and then a mixture of OJ and Squirt, which ratio can only be established by trial & error.

And they say my trial will begin as soon as all this blows over, for all those errors I ever made in my life.

11. paul fredine says:

margarita, any time.

12. Sirius Lunacy says:

I put the lime in the coconut rum
    and drink them boat togetter
    Put the lime in the coconut rum
    Den I feel better