Bad News For Boris

(Hat tip: Secret Scissorhead @NamelessCynic)

Axios Alert:

Less than 24 hours after entering the hospital, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has entered the ICU and deputized one of his ministers.

• The big picture: This is a stark reminder for all people about the importance of continuity of governance. Johnson was the first major world leader diagnosed with the coronavirus.

Honest-to-blog, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry, but I do note that Lord Damp Nut and his Walking Termite Buffet Mike Pence have been side-by-side at his daily MAGA-Virus rallies.

Our SOB has the best luck ever. But I interrupted.

Statement from No. 10: “Since Sunday evening, the Prime Minister has been under the care of doctors at St Thomas’ Hospital, in London, after being admitted with persistent symptoms of coronavirus.”

• “Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the Prime Minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital.”
  • “The PM has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who is the First Secretary of State, to deputise for him where necessary.”

Flashback: It’s been less than a month since the U.K. tried another approach, shooting for herd immunitybefore realizing it would overwhelm their National Health Service. Now the U.K. faces one of Europe’s worst outbreaks.

I’m not wishing ill on anyone. I’ll leave that up to the Brits to make their opinion known.

This entry was posted in Pandemics. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Bad News For Boris

1. And Boris was bragging about continuing to shake hands with everyone, including to the people he met at hospitals

I think that Lord Dampnut isn’t getting the ‘rona out of professional courtesy of one deadly pathogen we have no immunity to to another…

2. I’ll also point out that the whole ‘herd immunity’ bs is part and parcel of Richard Epsteins’ PhD dissertation in Dunning-Krugerism that Jared the Wonder Boy and Peter “Fuck Science!” Navarro have been leaning on to advise Lord Dampnut to ignore those weenie science nerds like Fauci.

3. donnah says:

Sending Boris my thoughts, which aren’t very nice, and prayers, which aren’t worth a thing.

4. Dennis Cole says:

Is he on a ventilator, I wonder? I’m sure they found one for him somewhere.

And here’s another thought, continuing my “conspiracy theory” tRump and VP Pence have both had just as much exposure, from what I’ve seen, yet they remain hale & hearty. How can this be?

Well, this IS Covid19, meaning it made its first appearance in 2019, and it’s not too far-fetched to think that USAMRID was studying this as soon as it reared its ugly head, (or even before,) and they developed a vaccine, which is why tRump has been heard to say, “I’m not worried, I’m not going to get it.”

• This is an administration where key advisers have literally butt-dialed reporters and blabbed out details of the scam.

An administration where an all-hands WH staff meeting admonishing them to stop leaking to the press, was leaked to the press multiple times within 15 minutes.

DO you really think they could keep a vaccine secret????

• Dennis Cole says:

BDR – yes, I think it’s entirely within the realm of reason and reality, to suspect them of having something that at the very least somewhat mitigates the effects and/or severity of the Virus, and those who have “partaken of the cure” have been instructed in no uncertain terms to NOT mention it, under penalty of death.

Was it back in early March, or late Feb, when Drumpf was rushed to Walter Reed hospital with an “Unknown affliction,” in the middle of the night, and speculation was running rampant that it was a heart attack, but no explanation was ever given, just that “the Prezinit is fine, he’s back in the White House, and is planning on playing golf in a day or two.”

Or maybe I DID read way too much dystopian SF as an impressionable yute, because that scenario has been the plot premise of many a movie and novel, and even in short-story form.

And does anyone else type dyslexically? I have to proofread my comments 2 or even 3 times, due to my OBC, which I don’t like to call it that, I prefer “gifted with an ability to focus intently.”

• Dennis Cole says:

maryp – it’s not the first time this allegation arose, and it won’t be the last.

“It now appears there are two strains of “severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)” — the virus responsible for COVID-19 — that struck Wuhan, China in December 2019.” Which only serves to “muddy the waters,” since SARS has been with us in ever-changing and mutating forms for so many years, and has been examined in so many different laboratories that anything is possible, including a “mistaken or accidental release” to actually weaponizing it. https://www.ibtimes.com/coronavirus-mutation-confirmed-scientists-found-two-types-covid-19-infecting-world-2934239

“Wherever it came from, it’s far from the first coronavirus to make humans sick. The scientific name of the current virus is SARS-CoV-2 because it is similar to the one that caused the outbreak of SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, from 2002 to 2004. Another virus like this one caused MERS, or Middle East respiratory syndrome, which first appeared in 2012. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, all these viruses are known as a betacoronavirus, one of four subgroups of coronavirus, and all most likely originated from a single animal population.” https://health.usnews.com/conditions/articles/human-coronavirus-types

There’s a buttload of info out there to pick and choose from to formulate your OWN conspiracy theory.

• maryplumbago says:

I don’t normally go for conspiracy theories, but with trump or some of our so called enemies, you have to wonder at times..and we’ll really never know.
        Thanks for the links

Maryplmbago –

I didn’t mean to pile on, mea culpa.

The thing is that reasonable people want to ascribe a motive to Lord Damp Nut’s actions, see a master plan. The truth is that he’s so chaotic that there cannot be a master plan. He’s incapable of following anything, even his own lies.

He’s as frothy and frantic as a beagle in a vacuum cleaner factory.

Well, the Extinction Chronicles is using the very right-leaning Business Insider (which really only have expertise in, well, bidness), which is using the very right-leaning UK Daily Mail (which is about as reliable as any Fox News outlet) as their only source, and they are phrasing every un-founded opinion in this (conspiracy theory?) story with a “may have” or “may be”.

I don’t think BI/Daily Fail are trustworthy sources. I don’t know the Extinction Chronicles at all, but I don’t think that they are a conspiracy site.

There was an article in a recent MIT email thingie (maybe last week?) that was debunking the theory that this is a bio-engineered weapon. It seems that bio-engineered organisms have tell-tale “fingerprints” in their DNA sequencing and COVID-19 does not.

• Dennis Cole says:

TG – I wasn’t presenting my links as True Fact,” I was merely trying to get the point across that this Virus has been a around for a while, and it keeps mutating, so Scientists keep a close eye on it, along with other pandemic-causing diseases, which is how they’re so confident it wasn’t an accidental release .

And I left out the part about how weaponizing a virus like this is such a lousy idea, unless YOUR country’s lab(s) designed it and propagated it successfully, ALONG WITH an antidote/cure AND a vaccine, to protect those who are deemed to deserve protection, in your country only. There’s no way of controlling its spread, of confining it to just your enemy’s country , and you sure won’t gain any allies by using it, and then threatening to unleash it on others.

And all I want is an explanation for why tRump, Pence, and many of the denizens of the upper levels of chicanery haven’t contracted it yet, despite so many instances of coming into contact with people who later caught it, and several of them dying. They’ve got to have something, it’s just too small a pool to be so resistant after so many exposures.

• maryplumbago says:

Agree…been wondering the same thing

5. Osirisopto says:

Whatever happened to the man with the worst toupee in the world?

• Karla says:

Who, Rand Paul?
      It seems no one has heard anything from him since a couple of days after he tested positive around Mar 24. DuckDuckGo has got nothing recent.

From this afternoons Politico email thingie:

@RandPaul: “I appreciate all the best wishes I have received. I have been retested and I am negative. I have started volunteering at a local hospital to assist those in my community who are in need of medical help, including Coronavirus patients. Together we will overcome this!”

We’re really not having any luck with this virus.

6. Buttermilk Sky says:

From the London Review of Books, April 2:

“On a conference call with the CEOs of sixty manufacturing businesses, urging a collective effort to produce more ventilators for the NHS, Johnson reportedly referred to the plan as ‘Operation Last Gasp.'”

Not so funny now.

7. Pyed says:

Certainly whatever those effete Brits can do, red blooded Americans can do.

No matter what your state of origin, your economic situation, your color, your ethnic background, your religion, or even your political persuasion, if ever, and whenever, you see your president, slip down your mask and cough in his direction.