Saturday Palate Cleanser

King James:

Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson:

Tho’ Nature, red in tooth and claw…

So what’s growing in your garden?

(Hat tip: Cuteropolis via Scissorhead Purplehead)

This entry was posted in cats, Palate Cleansers. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Saturday Palate Cleanser

1. The Match says:

So far just peas and herbs (tarragon, Italian parsley, dill, fennel, rosemary and thyme). The smartpots are ready for tomatoes. I’ll get some lacinto kale and chiogga beets in the ground in the next couple of days

2. tengrain says:

Very nice!

My lovage is popping up, the thyme never went away, and I am relieved to see that the tarragon is returning. I tried using a fleece over the bed this winter, but I’ve been a bad community gardener since the pandemic started and I have not been down there to harvest. BUT there should be some fennel, beets and radicchio and lettuces underneath.

Are chiogga beets really as stripey as they say?

3. julesmomcat says:

As one who has two brown thumbs, I stand in awe of all of you who can grow stuff. Keep up the great work!

4. purplehead says:

I just finished poking/turning the garden plot with my swell broadfork. The last couple of years it took me three days to do that. This year, it took nine… Hmmm. Seems time has stood still. But the broadfork is so much kinder to the worms than a stinky, noisy, back-wrenching churning rototiller.

It’s too early to plant plants here; it’s still freezing at night. I am about to put in some pea and kale seeds, though. But damn, that cot tree always has to bloom so darn early that the flowers either fall off from frost or the pollinating insects are not out and about. Last year I harvested 12. Twelve cots. Had great peaches and nectarines, though. They bloom later. And gallons and gallons of raspberries (≈20).

So, nothing to harvest, eating-wise, yet, but the nectarine, viburnum (oh the spicy sweet scent around the yard and house!), golden and wax currants, sarvisberries are in full bloom. The yard is just so tidy this year (for a yard of mostly native plants) because, hey, I am so fortunate to have something to do outside that keeps me distant from the human race. Such as weeding. Bet there will be a LOT of tidy yards and gardens around town this year.

5. We don’t have a big garden, just herbs, but with the April rise in temp (It’s 84 right now) the (now) wild cilantro is bolting in the pot with the chives (which are also blooming furiously.) and so is my parsley.

The wild daisies are going nuts though, and the first tiny buds are starting to appear on the prickly pear cactus.

My mom inherited all of the green thumb in our family so everything in my yard must survive pretty serious neglect. I put in a drip system to keep our pots watered, and I mow down the weeds as needed, but I pretty much rely on Mother Nature to keep things alive…

• Mary Ellen Sandahl says:

Very pretty and interesting,BruceDR – what re the little red flowers? Gilia?
      I’ve got lots of cleanup to do, and other cleanup that I can’t do without pro tree-guy help, which I can’t afford . But the anemones and May apple are looking good, and the usual pool of blue from the chionodoxa-gone-wild at the front of the house. We really didn’t have a winter to speak of here in northern NJ; but spring is always so welcome, no matter what. Mr. and Ms. Red-bellied Woodpecker court and converse in the 60-ft high branches of the maples still bare against the sky, flashing the scarlet on their heads very visibly even at that distance

• They’re Globe Mallow, https://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_spam2.pdf a native wildflower species. They’ve been slowly taking over parts my yard. Our landscaping philosophy is….“we bought a huge fenced yard for our dogs, that happily had a house on it for us” so anything that survives the 4-footers is good. 🙂 so far we have 5 well-established native perennials that just ‘showed up’ in the yard.

The Globe Mallows, The Fleabane Daisies, some Desert Hyacinth, Climbing Milkweed and Desert Primrose in the late spring. Pix of them are in the two albums below.

IMGP3380
        IMGP2369

It’s the laziest way to landscape known to man 🙂 Most of the summer it’s just dirt…I”m never going to make the cover of Good Homes and Gardens at this rate 🙂

6. MDavis says:

The tumbleweeds are blowing around, the weird prickly weeds are sprouting their new crop and the cottonwoods are leafing out. Our area has also sprouted a couple of new feral-ish cats, two tiny things that sit in the neighbor’s weeds and stare at our house until hubby brings them something to eat.

• Mary Ellen Sandahl says:

May as well bow to the inevitable? Some households have force-fields around them that kittehs can sense, and I wouldn’t be surprised if yours is one of them.

• MDavis says:

I think the other ferals and feral-ish cats tell each other where the eats are. Hubby has a soft spot for the innocent – and he considers abandoned cats to be innocent.
        I happen to agree with him on this.

7. Pyed says:

Hmmm. Who knew that Pyewacket was a perennial?

8. ming says:

Lettuce, spinach, tomato’s, rosemary, basil, broccoli and cucumbers in the greenhouse. We also picked up this years chicks on Friday. Squeee! definitely not jerks.

9. ming says: