PSA: Useful Tool in the Age Of COVID-19

(Hat tip: Secret Scissorhead @NamelessCynic)

You guys, here’s a really useful tool for tracking COVID-19 in your county, courtesy of The Weather Channel (OK, IBM).

Enter your Zip Code in the search bar at the top (you might have to clear King County WA first) and see what is going on where you live.

This entry was posted in Pandemics. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to PSA: Useful Tool in the Age Of COVID-19

1. ming says:

It’s about 2 days behind for my county according my county’s website.

King County had a great site, but then decided to outsource it to SalesForce’s wholly-owned subsidiary Tableau, and promptly it stopped working. As we know, everything is better and more efficient if the Private Sector does it. A total FAIL for Tableau.

King County is updating the info daily, so Weather Channel shows the most recent data, and as Tableau shows us nothing, well, this is as good as it gets for us. Also, I can check for the rest of my family.

• MDavis says:

I took notes from that first site and brought them into work to discuss LOA – HR ignored them, but did say LOA is not going to get me fired. Changes daily by the minute.

• purplehead says:

Likewise for where I live. It’s at least two to four days behind reality.

2. sos says:

Johns Hopkins has a pretty up-to-date site here:
    Your state DHS may even be better, although I have detected some data inconsistencies with WI’s.

• sos says:

This is also a very good resource:

• MDavis says:

Yeah, Johns Hopkins went to state level reporting for a while, but now they have gone back to county-wide for the U.S. There is a lot of territory here with few people, so that helps a lot in seeing what is going on here. It does not yet show our (alleged) first county case, though.
      Scuttlebutt is there’s someone from here who tried to get the test locally and was offered one if he would pay $1.4K – he didn’t have that, so he drove himself 60 miles to a town where he tested (for free!) positive.
      Charming county we live in – even if it turns out to be a false rumor it’s easier to believe it because medical coverage is so bad here. It is that bad.

• w3ski4me says:

There was a story here in my part of Ca. that spoke of a woman who wanted to be tested but had no symptoms or documented exposure, so she was to be charged I believe $1600. bucks.
        Stories are flying like bird poop in the wind at the parrot house.
        w3ski

• MDavis says:

If Poe’s law is holding up to the (experimental?) anecdotal evidence, then your area also has crappy medical systems in place.
        Alas.

• w3ski4me says:

Local hospital has all of 52 beds, total. They do have a circus tent outside now though. Can’t get much less care than that.
        w3ski

• MDavis says:

That sounds pretty bad, Poe’s law rules again. Is it true? Who cares, it might as well be.

3. I have been following Chris Martenson on YouTube since early January. the information and daily updates have been out there but the willfully ignorant have willfully ignored it. so here we are. Daily death totals and exponential growth. So much information, so much ignoring.

4. w3ski4me says:

Don’t give up hope. We haven’t found a cure yet and that may be the source of the Zombies!
    What was that “Will Smith” movie about some cure gone wild?
    w3ski

5. Front page of todays paper is: first death in our county is a 54 YO woman who had a fever, aches starting March 15 , started coughing, got negative flu and strep tests, Covid test came back positive (after doc did chest x-ray saw pneumonia and ordered the covid test and waited THREE DAYS! for it to come back) she started having problems breathing, Doc advised her to go to the hospital, she did, and was dead within an hour. 10 days from first symptoms to dead.

54. Fuck me we’re both north of that.

Other front page article is that our state health dept director is forcasting peak infections in the state to mid April, peak hospitalizations in early May. We need 13000 more hospital beds, 1300 more ICU beds. Arizona is in the bottom 10 states for hosiptal beds per capita, we have 16,000 now, 1500 ICU beds. So yeah we need to double this by May.

Maybe NOW fucking Gov. “Il Deuce” Ducey will pay attention to President Governor Cuomo “We are your future!” instead of Mango Mussolini.

For a LOT of folks around the country it’s starting to sink in that Shit be gettin’ real, yo!

• ming says:

First death in my county was a 58 year old male (my age). It was someone I knew, but not well. His wife is sick. It looks like she will make it. Two acquaintances of my wife have been airlifted to another hospital and I know of three other people in my circle of acquaintances that are sick but not hospitalized. It’s been real for awhile.

And as of this afternoon, the US is #1 in confirmed cases. The really fucked up thing is that we are just ramping up.

Ming –

Sorry for the loss in your community. So far, I don’t know anyone here who has died. We’re totally eff’ed. — TG

• ming says:

It is coming for all of us and our family and friends. It just got here sooner than a lot of places. Be safe and well everyone.

• MDavis says:

Ming, stay as safe as you can.
        Condolences for losses and illnesses in your circle thus far.

• ming says:

Thanks MD. The response from our community has been amazing. We shut down a about two weeks ago, well ahead of the the state and federal guidlines. I’ve been tracking the numbers daily and our local curve is dropping off while the rest of the country is ramping up. This is going to be a long haul. Stay safe and healthy.

• MDavis says:

Thank you ming. We’re doing our best. Hubby has medical needs that have us going to the big city for treatments. At some point the risks of presenting ourselves are going to outweigh the benefits of receiving the treatments. So far they are allowing us to go in together, an exception to the rule of “one patient at a time and no visitors”.

6. Dennis Cole says:

Thanks, BDR – at 67, and with numerous health issues, (I once contracted pneumonia FOUR TIMES in less than a year’s time, and on one occasion, it was hospital acquired,) I’m in the EXTREMELY high-risk category. CHF’s the “big one,” as it causes several problems all on its own, such as difficulty breathing, and the possibility of “cascading organ failure.”

My heart is severely weakened, and it only pumps at about 30 – 35% of normal, which means my liver, my kidneys, spleen & pancreas are receiving a reduced blood-supply, and they’re not liking it. Understandable, of course – none of us could last long on one one-third of our normal food rations, although internment-camp survivors attest to the resiliency of the human body.

There IS some good news here – I was first diagnosed in 2014, and told, “Now would be a good time to get your affairs in order, as you may only have a coupla years left,” so I’ve beaten my “best by” date by quite a few years, considering, and unless the Virus knocks me out for the count, I feel as if I could go a few more, by observing my diet and continuing my exercise program. Which, due to the closures of my gym and the local parks makes it rather difficult to do so, but I’m very adaptable. Nowadays, a “walk around the block” is quite the treat, after being house-bound all day, and I’m able to perform a few simple calisthenic exercises in the privacy my own backyard.

And I’m ever-so-grateful to my fellow Scissorheads; without youse guys, I wouldn’t have kept my mental health in the state it’s in.

7. While on the subject, this came over the transom just now in Apple News https://www.wired.com/story/the-ibuprofen-debate-reveals-the-danger-of-covid-19-rumors/

Good information; I’d read the French Health department warning.

tldr; Most doctors think it’s okay to use ibuprofen for pain and fever if you have covid-19…

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s