Bad Signs, Cont.

(Scissorhead Dennis Cole)

Hmmm…

This entry was posted in Bad Signs, Blog Against Theocracy, Pandemics. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Bad Signs, Cont.

1. Bruce388 says:

Churches also have lightning rods. That darned God.

2. Ralph Wiggam says:

Clearly a case of insufficient thoughts and prayers.

3. YellowDog says:

There is already active debate in the Catholic Church over receiving communion on the tongue vs communion in the hand. I would ask the altar boys their preference and go with that.

4. “praise the Lord and pass the ammunition sanitation”.

5. laura says:

I’m getting “A Vibe” from the Piranha Brothers lurking behind the font.

6. M. Bouffant says:

“Please do not spit in the Holy Water. Thank you.”

7. I am being totally fucking serious here, because I am totally fucking someone that deals with this kind of stuff at work every day. This is not funny to me. I am glad to be part of a church that loves and trusts God and believes in fucking science. Jesus Christ, what the hell are you all thinking.

Tengrain knows I have a BIG sense of humor and a rather irreverent one at that, and he knows I am a person of faith. If you want to make fun of us for a million things, go ahead, but that science is part of the mix in the Catholic church, and actual medicine, I am in full stop. FFS there would not be science if not for the church, although the church has had dark periods of trying to undo science, for the most part it is part of the canon. A goddam priest came up with the Big Bang theory. At the time, other scientists mocked him, go figure.

Sorry I am crabby about this stuff. Ten, you know I rarely react to any of your posts about faith, but I have to talk to people all day because they think the church is heretical for taking the water out of the font. (Which so far my workplace has not done.) JFC you cannot please anyone.

Rant over after waiting a sufficiently long time to consider whether or not to post this, but I love Tengrain who is a dear friend, so I trust he will hear me where I coming from.

Fran –

No worries. I like the discussion, as you know. And as I’ve said to you before, I wish I had faith but I don’t even have faith that the next Kleenex will pop up.

Others: please note that Fran has been here since the blog’s beginning in, oh, 2006 or so, and we’ve been face-to-face friends since 2007. We text nearly daily.

• Dennis Cole says:

Fran – I’m not sure if I’ve encountered you here before, but your rant IS valid, by all means.

Let me explain: As a “Recovered Catholic” I thought more than twice about submitting this, but then I decided I had to, because at times like these, it’s not only fair to poke fun at institutions, I feel it’s necessary. And I’m sure TG suffered a moment of angst before posting it, but judging by the comments, I’d say it has done what I meant it to; bring some of these lofty and self-entitled establishments down a notch or two, spark some interesting responses, and simply have a good chuckle. Because if I’m not given – or even prevented from taking some time out for some snarkish comedy, then life would become unbearable. And I’m only hanging on by a weak thread as it is.

• MDavis says:

I’m glad you posted. Now I don’t have to figure out how to say a weaker version of the same thing. (sci fi reference – don’t remember story, but probably from Analog, circa 1985 – (Irish?) nuns find alien in the surf and report in suitably confidential manner to scientist who rushes to save alien from uneducated nuns, only to find they have care for alien carefully and with scientific thought afore-hand, having been trained in a Jesuit college. I believe this story ended with me researching Jesuits and learning that George Carlin was educated in same. )

8. quakerinabasement says:

Yeah, I applaud this church. Consider the alternative: “No need for science! Our deity will preserve us!” Now that would be irresponsible.