Amazon To Go (please)

(Hat tip: Scissorhead Willis)

The new check-outless, full-scale, Amazon Grocery Store opens today and is about a 15-minute walk for me. I do not plan to go.

As much as I hate the self-serve Krogers’ check-out (I purposely wait in line at the one, staffed, checkout; it’s a small protest but it is mine), I don’t want to contribute to the demise of workers, and I absolutely do not want to put money into Bezos’ pockets any more than I must.

Anyway, some more on Amazon’s store is here and here.

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Amazon To Go (please)

1. “Shoppers check-in with their phones while the shelf weight sensors log selections like the world’s largest minibar. “

Oh this is going to be fun to game.

1) Pick up cheap thing from shelf 1.
    2) Pick up expensive thing from shelf 2
    3) Put cheap thing on shelf 2, cancelling picking up expensive thing
    4) Profit!

I for one do not wish to shop in a store with more intrusive security than a gorram casino, personally, though I’ll admit I do use the self-checkouts in Krogers quite often,mainly because the checkout lines are 5 deep usually, and invariably I get behind the old lady whose transaction requires seven separate price checks and payment process rivals negotiating an IMF bridge loan for a third-world country.

Snowbird season suuuuux.

2. donnah says:

We are kindred spirits, TG. I do not want to scan my own groceries. There are cashiers and baggers at my local Kroger grocery who have been there for twenty years. My store has hired some special needs baggers over the years and I refuse to contribute to them losing their jobs. They know me, they speak to me by name, and I know them, too.

Money has nothing to do with customer satisfaction and a sense of community. Do not take these away from us.

• ali redford says:

I’m right here with this. Our Kroger doesn’t have a self-checkout, even, though if they did, I wouldn’t use it. Around every other month, I have to go to Walmart to get the one thing I can’t get elsewhere. I stand in line there to be checked out, and I’m amazed at the number of people who do that, too. Nobody likes it, but we like the people who have to work there.

3. Dennis Cole says:

Big Brother (Bezos) is watching, while Little Sister is down at the County Human Services offices, trying in vain to get Food Stamps to help feed her children, now that she’s been laid off from her job as a checker at the local Grab-n-Go.

And this HAS to be like the World’s Greatest Challenge, when it comes to shoplifting. Lemme just put on my wig and my false Preggo Tummy, and using the ol’ “Switcheroo” BDR has so kindly brought to our attention, I’ll be feasting like a King tonite! (Oh, and I should probly shave the beard, besides, as well.)

4. Heim says:

My local store has a person who encourages people to use the self checkout lines but will no longer even speak to me. I see union retirees using the self checkout and shake my head.

5. retiredeng says:

We do our main grocery shopping at Market Basket. As far as I know there are no self checkouts at any of the chain’s stores. I say main shopping since we like to buy most meat and fish at other stores where the quality is better. And our local Market Basket is the busiest of all the grocery stores in the area with 20 registers.

6. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

I always use the checkout with the cashier. I leaned long ago that the job you save just might be your own.

7. Ralph Wiggam says:

I have a plan to create jobs and cut profits for Bezos. Go to the store, get a basket and fill it with non-perishable items from all parts of the store. Then push it to a busy aisle and go home. At some point a person will have to restock all the items and Bezos will have to pay them. You have just created a job and a paycheck. Be proud and fuck Bezos and the Waltons every chance you get!

8. TheOtherHank says:

I have been RIF-ed enough times that I don’t want to contribute to someone else getting laid off because it saves the corporataion money for me to do someone else’s job for free. Besides, I don’t see the shelf prices going down.
    But it turns out I am not completely able to resist the self checkout. I have rules:
    1) I will not wait in line for a self checkout
    2) I will not weigh anything
    3) I will not scan more than two items.
    If one of the self serve things is available when I walk by and I’m only holding one or two things, I will succumb; but I feel bad about it.