News That Will Drive You To Drink

‘There need to be mass protests’: Authoritarianism experts say time is running out for Americans to stop Trump

It’s a good, terrifying piece. Please read it.

I’m jaded and cynical, and after watching the largest world-wide protest in history before the Iraq Invasion, I do not think that protests work, except to make the protesters feel better. And I absolutely do not think that Trump and his merry band of thieves could care less. Also, about 40% of the country is cheering-on the creeping fascism and authoritarianism; and the other 60% are watching The Bachelor and binging on streaming services. Possum Hollar would counter-protest from their Medicare scooters, and seriously: which story do you think that the NYTimes (and the rest of our failed political media) would cover?

That said, a general strike might work (which, I know, I know, has even less of a chance of ever happening). You gotta hit the fascists in the bank account. That’s what they are terrified of, not having some shouty people in intersections that they never have their drivers go through.

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to News That Will Drive You To Drink

  1. Ralph Wiggam says:

    The protests that work are the ones that stop traffic, stop commerce, stop government. Look back at the civil rights protest, the Memphis Garbage Strike. Look at the anti war strikes at the 1968 Democratic convention. Protest work if they bring the process to a grinding halt.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Astamari says:

    The Daily Mirror in German. They’re a good paper. We all need to vote early and often for the end of Trump and the GOP disease.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. w3ski4me says:

    I was there for the Berkeley Anti War protests. I was trying to finish High School in all the chaos. What seemed to make a difference was when the grannies and kids in strollers were there protesting too. They couldn’t gas the strollers and get away with it on the nightly news. Gassing students was almost popular with a certain set.
    We have to get the word out that it isn’t just the dirty hippies that demand justice. We aren’t laughable dupes or commies or any of that crap they throw at us.
    We are the rest of America and we are sick of being made fun of and derided as not Americans.
    Hell yes let’s hit the streets again, but we have to start with all of us this time.
    w3ski

    Liked by 2 people

  4. Ten Bears says:

    Throw a monkey wrench in it. Find ways to disrupt things without doing harm.

    Defacing currency requires their removal from circulation, which cost the banks the time spent by a clerk to find and set them aside, cost the government the time a clerk spends recording the bill out of circulation and finally the cost of someone burning them. Speaker magnets scramble the shit out of electronic devices, fit in the palm of your hand and require only a few seconds proximity (ATMs are a bad target: cameras). Crickets are easy to get and hard to get rid of.

    I was in a few protests back when, worked then but … I don’t think so now.

    Liked by 2 people

  5. Infidel753 says:

    We had mass protests — the Women’s Marches, and it’s not obvious that they had any effect, except to make the protesters feel better.

    Mass protests and general strikes are often necessary in a dictatorship, but they are not how leaders are brought down in a democracy, nor should they be. You get rid of someone like Trump by defeating him in an election. We’ve already wasted a lot of time and energy on things like the Mueller report and impeachment which were just distractions from the election. There are barely over eight months to go now. We don’t have time to spend on yet another distraction.

    And protests that target ordinary voters for harassment (by blocking traffic, for example), can easily be counterproductive. (Remember, what matters is how people react, not how you think they should react.) If the existing local authorities can’t keep the streets clear and the traffic and commerce flowing, people will turn to those who promise they can. Trump could gain hugely in popularity by cracking down on the “spoiled-brat anarchists” making cities unlivable.

    The election. There is only the election. There was always only the election.

    Liked by 1 person

  6. donnah says:

    First they came for the Socialists and I did not speak out-because I was not a Socialist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out-because I was not a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out- because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak for me.

    Pastor Martin Niemöeller

    We’re running out of time to speak out. Whether we take to the streets or stand in line to vote, we must speak out, and loudly.

    Liked by 2 people

Comments are closed.