Bad Translation, Cont.

Not sure that the sign really says, but I’m also pretty sure I don’t want to know.

(Hat tip: Scissorhead Moeman)

This entry was posted in Bad Translation. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Bad Translation, Cont.

1. Boris says:

No doubt presided over by Professor of Dentistry (Emeritus) Alec Guinness…

2. Sir Nigel says:

Sir Laurence Olivier!

3. Michael McMurtrey says:

Is it safe?

4. StringOnAStick says:

I’m a dental hygienist, and we had such a psycho patient today that a Nazi option bordered on appealing. Holy crap, this person was neurotic and generally nuts, plus rude, obnoxious, and utterly full of shit. Oh, and an anti-vax Dr as well. Figures.

• julesmomcat says:

I’m a dental technician, and that is REALLY SCARY!!

• StringOnAStick says:

We wrote down everything she said or did because this crazy person is a lawsuit waiting to happen. When they say “I’m not going to sue you” while snapping before and after photos of her face because she was sure she would have an allergic reaction to the anesthetic, you know where her mind tends to go. Your only defense is to document everything immediately.

5. dyslexicsue says:

Good over evil is always great

6. CalicoJack says:

Howdy y’all!

I’ve lived abroad for the past 25 years, mostly in Asia. The naming your business Hitler or Nazi thing comes up periodically. It seems to go through fads in the Far East and the Middle East. Really, nothing surprising, except that it always jarring to see.

Huzzah!
    Jack

• StringOnAStick says:

Is there some appeal to using Hitler or Nazi in names that we don’t understand?

• CalicoJack says:

In South Korea and Japan, I always thought it was a way to stick it to America. It always seemed to come up when anti-Americanism was at its highest. Then when people would complain — Western people that is — the excuse would be that it was just a name to them. It didn’t have the same meaning, so they could do what they like. In the ME, I can imagine a similar dynamic at work, but I don’t know for sure.

Huzzah!
        Jack

7. Infidel753 says:

Yes, the Arabic says exactly the same as the English. For many people in Islamic countries, “Nazi” and “Hitler” don’t have the same automatic connotation of evil as they do here — people just know that those things were anti-Jewish, which is still widely considered a respectable position. Anti-Semitism has been a sporadic and often very brutal feature of the Islamic world on and off since the early Middle Ages, just like in the Christian world. To this day books like Mein Kampf and The Protocols of Zion are published and distributed with government approval in some Islamic countries.

To be fair, Westerners are often equally ignorant of the nightmares of other parts of the world. Some people in the West romanticize Genghis Khan, for example, or argue that he wasn’t really as bad as history says. It wouldn’t be very healthy for you to go to China and talk like that.

When I lived in California I once saw the storefront of a business called “Adolph Gasser”. I can’t remember what type of business it was. Nothing to do with Naziism. You’d think that would be the most tasteless name imaginable, but I guess it wasn’t hurting their business too much.

8. Astamari says:

Yes, the Arabic really does say “nazi”. Weird.

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s