Midday Palate Cleanser

Which reminds me of Sylvester and the Kangaroo.

Sylvester Junior be reaching for the paper bag, methinks.

(Hat tip: Scissorhead Dennis Cole)

This entry was posted in cats, Palate Cleansers. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Midday Palate Cleanser

1. Scottie says:

Hello TG. The owner better get that cat inside fast. Possums are really dangerous and full of diseases. They can seriously injury and kill cats and dogs. Hugs

• Dennis Cole says:

Hi, Scottie – I agree on the dangerous part, but I’m not so sure about them being disease-ridden. I know they’re a valuable part of the ecosystem, because they’ll eat things other animals won’t, like ticks and other harmful insects. They’re also nocturnal, so if you see one in the daytime, it’s either sick, or in some kind of distress, or it’s moving to a different home, and should be avoided. I’m not saying wait until nighttime to outside and play with them, but I have had several interactions with them without coming to any harm at all.

And yes, they’re butt-ugly, and they hiss for a reason; they’re telling you to back off, but usually the worst they do is lie down and “play possum.”

PS – Pogo was a possum. Who doesn’t like Pogo?

• Scottie says:

Hello Dennis. We have them around here also. They like to eat the little”berries” that drop from one of the types of palm trees. They like to burrow under the skittings of our homes and nest under them to have young. They are almost as destructive under a home as armadillos. Both of them tear out your A/C duct pipes and use the insulation to make nests. Hugs

Opossums carry diseases such as leptospirosis, tuberculosis, relapsing fever, tularemia, spotted fever, toxoplasmosis, coccidiosis, trichomoniasis, and Chagas disease. They may also be infested with fleas, ticks, mites, and lice. Opossums are hosts for cat and dog fleas, especially in urban environments.

• MDavis says:

Those things have a mouthful of teeth that look like a baby T-Rex’s.
      When they were fairly new to the Pacific Northwest, news got out to watch your horses (I knew someone who had one) because they could get sick from drinking from puddles. The reason… possum pee. It put your equines at risk of some disease new to the area, as possums were also new to the area.
      They look like prehistoric rats.

2. FELINE MAMA says:

“MAAAAAAAAAA !!!”

3. donnah says:

Ima side with Mittens here, because once a while ago a possum made its way onto my back porch and hissed at me when I opened the back door. Scary! Ugly! Ratty tail!

One got in my house in California, and it was my dog’s greatest triumph: he cornered the beast, which immediately played dead. That dog strutted around for weeks after that. He felt he was the stuff of legends.

(Me, I swept the poor thing into a box and put it outside to wake up later.)

4. julesmomcat says:

Around here in middle TN, possums rarely look both ways before crossing the street, so quite a few end up decorating the double-yellows. Keeps their population within limits. The REAL overlords, here, are some ginormous raccoons, whose attitudes are completely pissed off, 100% of the time!

• MDavis says:

About a year after possums showed up in western Washington (and you knew, because they were all over the roads) I heard a new joke, during the flood season.
      “Why did the salmon cross the road?”
      “To show the possum that it can be done.”

5. Dennis Cole says:

And the expression on poor Muffin’s face? Priceless! It’s almost as if his owner is feeding the possums on purpose, and has been caught red-handed in this terrible act of betrayal.

6. Ten Bears says:

The thing is… when you feed them stray critters it attracts bigger critters that eat the stray critters. And Muffin. Coyotes (pronounced kai-yote), coywolves and the occasional raptor.

That said, I’ve had a regular party goin’ on out there: opossum, skunk, ‘coons. That big old black tom cat just looks at ’em. When I first met him he was sportin’ a rip along his jaw that looks to me like he got real lucky, mere small critters are of no consequence.