Branding and Lifestyling Today

“Nike has their First Amendment right to make individuals such as Colin Kaepernick their brand ambassadors. We have the right to make patriots like Chief Gallagher one of ours.”

–Tyler Merritt, Founder of Nine Line Apparel, in the NYTimes

And thus I learned that former Navy Seal and pardoned war criminal Edward Gallagher has a clothing line called “Salty Frog Gear” which is described as a “coastal lifestyle brand with an edge.” It has a pocket designed to hold a beer bottle.

Edgy, innit?

Gallagher is using his reputation “as a springboard to social media followers and branding opportunities.” And that’s gotta be a sign of our times, that a notorious killer is shilling products on Instagram as an influencer, like a common Tommi Lahren. See if you can spot a theme:

• Total War brand supplements for muscle-building
  • Double Tap coffee beans
  • A T-shirt emblazoned with the title “Waterboarding Instructor”
  • Other merch with the logo, “KILL BAD DUDES” by the company that made the knife Gallagher used to kill a captive [ALLEGEDLY!].

Subtle, innit?

But then there’s this bit of life styling:

Paul Rieckhoff, the founder of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, who has openly criticized Chief Gallagher, said that the square-jawed, blue-eyed SEAL has been a valuable political weapon for the Trump administration.

“Trump is a master of casting, and Gallagher is a perfect fit,” said Mr. Rieckhoff, who now hosts the Angry Americans podcast. “He’s handsome, he’s heroic, he’s got a beautiful wife. He’s a Rambo version of the same story Trump has been telling over and over: The deep state is trying to screw you, the media is bad, and the rich people don’t understand you. But I’ll stick up for you.”

The partnership is valuable for Chief Gallagher, too, Mr. Rieckhoff said, because in raising his profile in conservative circles, he can cash in on book deals, speaking engagements and other business opportunities.

So Gallagher wants to be a brand, a celebrity, and a political influencer and his claim to fame is that Commander Bunnypants pardoned him. I was going to say he’s like a D- Dinesh D’Souza-level celebrity, but I think George Zimmerman (Trayvon’s killer) might be a better analog.

His 15 minutes is ticking.

This entry was posted in The Death of the Social Media. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Branding and Lifestyling Today

1. Steve-O says:

This is causing a dilemma for me. As a pacifist, at least speaking internationally (come at me and I will do my best to put you down. Leave me alone and we are good), the branded phrase of “Kill Bad Dudes” has given me pause.
    Does this mean Chief Gallagher, who to me, seems to be a very bad dude?

2. w3ski4me says:

Bringing up Zimmerman. He must be so jealous right now. He’s tried hard to cash in on his fame as a murdering sob and gotten nothing, and here this Gallagher guy just walks into riches and fame.
    I hope both of them rot in hell.
    w3sk

3. Redhand says:

Is the red displacing the white on that Murrican flag on his shirt a celebration of the blood this murderer has shed?

Just askin’.

4. retiredeng says:

This worm should be branded alright – with a real red hot branding iron.

5. revzafod says:

War Criminal Haiku by Grumpy, Esq, by way of The Rude Pundit

Eddie Gallagher
    Is the George Zimmerman of
    William L. Calleys

6. Abu Scooter says:

Imma repeat the end of the last NYT block quote, because I’m not so sure Gallagher is just another iteration of Zimmerman.

Chief Gagalot has three advantages Zimmerman didn’t: (1) he’s White™ — Zimmerman only had a White™ surname — (2) he has the backing of the current Commander in Chief, and (3) a notable apparel company has already started selling his merchandise. Gagalot here is going to have a much easier time establishing his conservative cred than Zimmerman ever did.

Oh, I forgot reason (4): he’s White™. In short, I’m not even close to ready to say that Chief Gagalot is due only a quarter hour of fame.

7. Infidel753 says:

No, an analog for this would be some Middle Eastern company choosing one of the Boston Marathon bombers (if they were still at liberty) as a pitch man, or using similar marketing to promote the brand of box cutters used by the 9/11 hijackers to seize control of the planes. It’s glamorization of atrocities based on hatred of an entire region and its people.

8. Pingback: Cadet Bone Spurs’ Great Adventure | Mock Paper Scissors