What’s On Your Mind (Open Thread)

Our pal Infidel753 is still dealing with personal issue, and there is no linkage today. I know all good Scissorheads stand with me when I say that we are thinking about Infidel today and we look forward to his eventual return.

Talk amongst yourselves. Smoke if you got’em.

Consider this an open thread: what’s on YOUR mind?

This entry was posted in snark. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to What’s On Your Mind (Open Thread)

1. Dennis Cole says:

G’mornin’, TG –

Got lots on my mind today, what with all the disembodied craniums spewing their fetid miasmas, and the Newzpapers containing nothing but doom & gloom along with some astounding revelations regarding our wasted efforts in Afghanistan, and all the rest of the hot messes that I’m deluged with, to the point where it all needs close scrutiny, followed by some serious editing, and then collating.

But instead of dealing with all that crap, I’m just gonna go outside and enjoy this beautiful day, by performing some projects that will take my mind off of all the bullshit. The veggie garden’s been put to bed for the winter (SWIDT?), and it only needs a final tuck-in of the covers. (Tip: Real, actual BS is quite welcome in the garden, when it’s mixed into a compendium of other organic material.) Mulcy away! I say.
    And the local Flea Mkt beckons, even though I don’t need ANY more earthly possessions; most times it’s fun to just sit and relax with my bev of choice and simply perform some people-watching. Most humans are fascinating to observe in a non-native habitat. Or maybe retail locations ARE the normal human habitations. Further study is required.

I was at my bookclub which this month met at one of our local breweries (I will not bother to tell you the name of the person who suggested this course of action), and it was a good break from the insanity.

I have some sourdough rising (I wanted to try a challah to see how that works, and I will say: not promising), so I will focus on that tonight. I have no idea what happened on the Sunday Talkies (nothing, probably, since they are now only infomercials from the Villagers to the other Villagers), and I will be reheating the cassoulet for dinner soon.

Peace-out,

2. Dennis Cole says:

Mulch, not mulcy, lol.

3. Condolences, strength & peace to Infidel753.
    As for open threads and minds, if you ever have the chance to raise a rooster, do it.
    Day after last Easter I’d found a day-old chick abandoned and in dire distress at the local Mickey D’s -and it’s been non-stop fascination and hilarity ever since. Cuddly and affectionate feathered dogs, who knew? Loyal, attentive, highly communicative and intelligent, what a buddy Kevin is. As for crowing, it only happens a couple times a day and his aggressive randiness is chilled neatly with (and upon) his most beloved stuffed pink bunny rabbit, Peep. Natural scavengers, he eats just about anything and waits patiently under the dinner table with his two (equally hopeful) canine housemates. Anyway, he’s been a fun-filled and enlightening discovery of an animal so easily overlooked and misunderstood. Befriend a rooster, you won’t regret it.

• Diane says:

You keep him in the house?

• Sure do.
        Not only does he do droppings in specific (tiled) areas, they’re tiny and encased in a yolk-like substance that prevents staining and stink. A piece of toilet or tissue paper and it’s done.
        Unlike the dogs (and the cat), he not only doesn’t pee but he also doesn’t track 4 paws of filth and debris through the door when he comes in from the outside.
        He has no interest in going on tables and counters and just marches, on foot, around the house. He does use his wings to fly up onto the bed with the dogs for cuddle times or to jump off a lap.
        He’s a far cleaner animal than the other 3.
        He stays in the yard happily and voluntarily (he chases off other chickens and birds that near the property) and comes when called, inside or out. If you prefer not to uyell, he’ll come running if you slap your thigh repetitively.
        Those with roosters will know this one … -when you or he wants to know where the other is, he or I will give a “frat boy” shout-out and he (or I) will respond in kind (to let the other know current location) … he trained me on this communication and it’s really cool. His hearing is so fine that I can sit, inside the house, and (when I’m wondering where he is) I’ll give out a quiet and low grumbled “cawww’ and he’ll respond immediately -from way across the yard outside.

• ali redford says:

This is so cool! I’d not heard of it being possible, to have a rooster as a pet, though I have heard of hens as pets. This is awesome-thank you!

• Diane says:

I never heard of a rooster being in the house before. Thanks for the information.

• I’d never heard of it either.
        It just came to be naturally, on account of his size/vulnerability when he was tiny, alone and needing a heating pad for his (blanket covered) sleeping quarters (-now a 3x3x3 dog kennel, sans heating pad).
        He also loves to go on car cruises, joyfully watching cars go by all the while comically “ooooohing” and “ahhhhhing” at them in awe (especially trucks). He wears a harness for restraint in the car and enjoys being harness-hung, dangling from the clothes hanger clip over the back window (great visibility without craning his neck).
        Kevin also a great admirer of himself and will stand before the mirror, looking at himself endlessly.
        He knows the word (and meaning) of “no!” and will occasionally argue softly (murmuring objections) but will always relent.
        A dog begs with it’s eyes, even when it’s got your attention but Kevin will beg with his eyes and once he’s got your attention he will physically indicate his needs by tapping (a door to go out, a glass or water bowl for water, a box or bag for food (or the fridge for a snack) etc., and so on, just very direct & clear (“I want THIS”) communication.
        But, best of all is hugging him, cradling him warmly like a football, stroking him and feeling him press up against you reciprocally while wrapping his head to tuck it under your ear.
        PS -if you want to sleep later than the crack of dawn, just keep his sleeping quarters light-proof.

• ming says:

We love all of our roosters. There’s Leggy, and Sea Biscuit, and Goldilocks, and Spot, and Darrel and his other brother Darrel, and Redi-Roo. They all have different personalities… that is except for Darrel and Darrel, nobody can tell those two apart. Leggy and Goldilocks are the feistiest. They attack my feet in the morning and give me stink-eye. Somehow that makes them my favorites.

• Darrel and Darrel, hysterical. 7 roosters is intense! Whew.
        They are the most marvelous, unique and individual beings.

• ming says:

I forgot Gorgeous George, so there are 8 roosters total. They really are interesting. Some of them get along with each other and can share a flock of hens peacefully. Leggy, Biscuit, and Goldilocks have their own flocks and will not tolerate others. A good rooster is the sheriff that maintains the peace within the flock. They can be very protective so I move slow and am careful around them because they can strike you pretty hard with their spurs if the get a mind to.

• purplehead says:

I just love this thread. Years ago, when I lived out in the county, we had chickens. A neighbor had too many to deal with, so they gave us a bunch to raise for our meat. Sure. Right. I was a city kid, had never been around farm-type animals. We quickly turned the donkey house (that’s another story) into a chicken coop. And so, eventually, we had eggs. And eggs. And eggs. Cool how that works. One of our hens was the sweetest animal. She followed us around, clucking and cooing. She loved to be picked up and held, petted, and carried about. I soon learned to talk chicken. (I can do a mean chicken.) And loved to go into the fowl and rabbit building at the county fair every summer, and announce myself to all the chickens in there. All of a sudden the place would turn quiet, as all the birds would stand in alert, shake-shake their heads, eyes wide. And then start to answer back. Even the roosters would start clucking like a hen that had just laid an egg, which is not rooster talk. Most of my friends would not accompany me into the chicken house, and would pretend not to know me.

Meat? Nope. No way.

• ming says:

I know. I had to quit eating chicken too. The fresh eggs are wonderful. The girls are laying about 90 per day right now which should pick up in January when the days start getting longer.

4. Diane says:

I can’t listen to anymore trump. It’s been 24/7 since he came down the escalator. I’m feeling the trump burn out very badly. It hit me like a ton of bricks today.
    I dropped my car off at the garage for state inspection tomorrow. I’ve got soft rock music on and I’m trying to put my head into another place. I just might practice this self care for the rest of the month. Next year will be rough.

5. donnah says:

I’m glad that I’m not the only one who feels like she (or he) needs a break. Our political news cycle is like trying to sip from a firehose. It comes too fast, too much, too often.
    In addition to prepping for Christmas and all that it entails, I’ve begun a new rughooking project. This piece is a tribute to a long-ago heroine of mine, Helen Keller. I’m using hand-dyed wool strips pulled with a hook through the linen I drew my design onto. I want to get it finished by August.

Merry Christmas to all!

6. donnah says:

In case you want to see it!

• ali redford says:

That is already, and will be, beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! I love Helen Keller, too.

7. ali redford says:

OK, the water here is quite pleasant, so I’ll jump in. Our local animal shelter opened last week, so I got to start back volunteering. I do a couple of days every other week. It is unfortunate; we have a dog back in who we used to have at the temporary shelter before it closed. She got a foster then, and we had high hopes, as she was their only pet. She’s so loving, and is a beautiful dog. She does not get along with anyone who is not human, and this is a problem, because wherever she is is her yard. We have several kitties, of course. There are 2 colony rooms for those that get along well with each other, but each cat has their own enclosure, too. Last week was a big spay week, so we deepcleaned everything. We have a few more doggies, too, each charming in their own way, and so fun! Pet therapy rocks.
    I, too, am tired of Trump. I can’t say I dread his voice even more than I dread GW’s voice, but it is equal. I so wish Trump would just pull a Palin, and then go away.
    DH will be retiring in not quite 2 years, so I’m hoping things in general will hold together, and then we can go somewhere pretty where people are mostly nice to each other. (To be brief.) Thanks!

8. Trying to figure out how to make a little bracket to fit on the edge of my stockpot to hold a cooking thermometer probe; we recently got an instantpot clone (to replace our 10-ish year old cheap crockpot what died) and I’ve taken to making yogurt in it. You gotta heat the milk to 180° while stirring and I’m tired of it dropping into the pot…

Plus I have time off between christmas and new years (they close down the University, since almost no one is there during the break; apparently saves a ton of money on heating nd such) and SWMBO has requested I come up with a list of “things to do around the house” so we can compare them, and then do what she wants us to do 🙂

9. Redhand says:

Sorry to hear about infidel. Sounds quite serious.
    I sympathize with @Diane’s comment that

I don’t feel that I can let up, however. He’s an existential threat to our entire country and has shown, if nothing else, that the GOP is too. His one “accomplishment” is making clear that “it can happen here,” and by “it” I mean the perversion of our country into a fascist state.

The years since he was installed in office have been a particular nightmare for me since my immigrant clientele are one of his main targets. Practicing immigration law has become excruciating stressful.

I hold out hope that the poll numbers in KY and SC mean we have a chance to defeat both McConnell and Graham in 2020, in addition to Trump. They are the worst US Senators in my life since they are actively subverting constitutional processes to prop up a vicious wannabe dictator.

This madness has to be stopped, and there needs to be some genuine and essential retribution meted out if we win.

I draw a lot of strength from the blog communities where I comment: here, over at TPM and a special favorite, The Rectification of Names, over in NYC, as well as Driftglass and Bluegal’s Professional Left podcasts every Friday.

There’s strength in numbers, people, and we are the majority.

• ali redford says:

Oh, I hope so, too, as to SC and KY. I know the kiddoes here in South Central KS are stressed about things in general, and they’re not really old enough to be stressed about so much. I remember when I was their age, the MLK Jr. and RFK assassinations stressed me, and led to me paying good attention, but I hate that kiddoes have to worry about their friends disappearing because of how they look.