Buy Nothing Day is Friday

Be sharp!

We are all being manipulated to spend money we don’t have on things we don’t need, so that the big chain stores can show a year-over-year profit. You have the power and ability to say no to rank consumerism. Every dollar you do NOT spend is a dollar that they do NOT have to donate to Trump. Put your values where your mouths are.

If you do have the itch to spend some Ameros, spend it locally at your neighborhood Mom & Pop stores. The money stays in your community (as opposed to going to the Waltons in gawd only knows where in Possum Hollar) and acts as a multiplier.

I’d like to make a new argument: If you are a person of means, please sit this one out and let the not-so-wealthy people have a shot at the (alleged) Great Deals. You don’t need that thing at 15% off, but it might be the only way your friends and neighbors can afford it.

I would add that spending your hard-earned money at used book stores and Goodwill is also a very fine thing to do: Goodwill puts it to use in jobs training programs amongst other purposes (don’t confuse Goodwill with the Salvation Army, and seriously the Army can go get eff’ed), and so not only does your money stay local it helps to grow your local economy and community directly.

I will add one last request to this post: please be kind to the people working on these sale days. They are not the societal problems that their employers may be, and many of them are working today/tonight/tomorrow because the rent is due. These horrible sales are really tough on them, and they’ve given up time with their families to spend time helping you.

Tengrain (Yer Local Communist)

This entry was posted in Buy Nothing Day, holidays. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Buy Nothing Day is Friday

1. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

Amen! I don’t think any scissorheads are the type to mistreat ‘the help’. There is nothing worse than a bully, and bullies who abuse waitstaff and retail workers are the absolute worst.

2. donnah says:

Thanks for making some very important points, TG.

May I add my thanks for keeping this place up and running, providing us with humor and information and relevance for difficult times. I love coming here and am thankful for your hard work.

3. What donnah said!

I don’t say it often enough, but this joint is an island of sanity in my days; thank you all for being here, and thanks to Tengrain for keeping the lights on!

• julesmomcat says:

Ditto what BDR said!
      And – My 12 g-grandkids are getting booklets I’ve printed and comb-bound, detailing their ancestry going back into the 1100’s; plus, their families are getting a taste of history – cookies and the recipes handed down from my g-grandmothers, something they can get nowhere else; just keeping history alive.

4. Racer X says:

Very important points about supporting local businesses! I wish everyone knew these.

5. StringOnAStick says:

I appreciate the humor you bring to the table every day. We need it now more than ever.

6. kathywompus says:

I bought another bottle of vodka this morning. I hope that’s OK 🙂

I underestimated.

I’m also amassing a pile of stuff to take to Goodwill in the next week or so.

Ordering most of my gifts on Monday.

7. Pingback: Required Listening: On The Media’s “Purple” | Mock Paper Scissors

8. kathywompus says:

If you ever find yourself near Glassboro, New Jersey, c’mon by, I’ll have plenty vodka.

I cook a mean Quiche Lorraine too 🙂