Last week saw the beginning of the #ITMFA festivities, and while we learned a lot about what happened, we really learned more about the Rudderless Republican Response to it: 1) None of the witnesses had first hand knowledge of the now infamous July 25th call, and B) no one knows what was the intention of the Mango-hued Shitgibbon. “Ook-ook.,” said the Shitgibbon.
Here’s my favorite moment: Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-Texas) faked a phone call in front of reporters when he was asked about Trump’s mid-hearing tweet about Yovanovitch on Friday. You could see his home screen on his phone.
Over the weekend, we learned details that make the testimony of EU Amb. Gordon Sondland — A FIRST-HAND WITNESS — even more damaging.
- David Holmes (State Department) confirmed William Taylor’s testimony about Sondland’s phone call with Trump, during which Prznint Stupid asked about the status of the investigations (and learned of the status of his ass being loved).
- Tim Morrison testified that Sondland said he (Sondland) was acting on Trump’s orders and at his behest, like a common Giuliani!
- Jennifer Williams is a State Dept. employee currently working for Mike Pence as his special adviser for Russia, who was listening to the entire July 25 call, said Trump bringing up the investigations with Zelensky served to benefit his “personal political agenda” and could “shed some light on possible other motivations” for the halting of military aid. …which resulted in this Tweet:
Tell Jennifer Williams, whoever that is, to read BOTH transcripts of the presidential calls, & see the just released ststement from Ukraine. Then she should meet with the other Never Trumpers, who I don’t know & mostly never even heard of, & work out a better presidential attack!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 17, 2019
…which of course is more witness intimidation. Another charge in the ol’ articles of impeachment? Absolutely! Also/too: it’s utter bullshit. Williams was on the call itself. She doesn’t have to read anything.
COLLATERAL DAMAGE: Pence is now deeply involved as he cannot say he doesn’t know his own aid. Heh.
The Impeachment Week 2 Schedule:
- TUESDAY: Morning session: Jennifer Williams and Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman. Both of them heard the entire call (thus ends the no one heard the call gambit from the GOP). Tuesday afternoon session: Kurt Volker and Tim Morrison.
- WEDNESDAY: Morning session: Amb. Gordon Sondland. Wednesday afternoon session: Laura Cooper and David Hale.
- THURSDAY: Fiona Hill
Axios morning email thingie tells us about what I can only guess is some sort of GOP Hail Mary strategy: Sen. RoJo!
House Republicans are asking Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) for “firsthand information” about Ukraine-related meetings, briefings and conversations with President Trump and EU Ambassador Gordon Sondland.
- A letter from Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio, who’s leading the GOP case, and Rep. Devin Nunes of California, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, asked Johnson for his recollections after attending the inauguration of Ukraine’s president in May.
The senator said yesterday on “Meet the Press” that he had received the letter, and said he’d be working over the weekend on preparing his “telling of events.”
- “I will lay out what I know,” Johnson said. “They’re not going to call me, because certainly Adam Schiff wouldn’t want to be called by the Senate. There’s going to be a separation there. But I think I will reply to that.”
The GOP is putting their money where their Johnson is. This will end well.
If I were a betting man, I’d say Wednesday is the biggest day. Sondland is the key.