The End of an Era

Skippy the Bush Kangaroo has gone to the big blogroll in the sky.

It’s a very comprehensive obit and run-down of Skippy’s life and career. I never connected the two of them (Imma moron), but I did know Gil at one point when I was working in comedy (writing) and advertising.

Also, in another blogging shake-up: Shakespeare’s Sister is hanging it up.

(Hat tip: Scissorhead Bluegal)

This entry was posted in blog whoring, blogging. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The End of an Era

1. Blue Gal says:

That is a perfect image for this post. Thanks so much Tengrain. xoxo

2. Astamari says:

Sorry to hear this. I liked his blog. Didn’t know about the rest of his career. How interesting.

3. purplehead says:

Wow. A double whammy.

I’d been reading Skippy for years and years. But content had been getting thinner and thinner, until this year, when it was clear something was amiss. And Liss. She has been in the horrible, nasty battle front with all the weapons she could muster. I am amazed she lasted as long as she did. The vast malevolent opposition just wears on a person. I and so many others appreciated her fight and grace and intelligence and careful sharp observations and words.

What a loss.

4. revzafod says:

Back in 2002 I was dining on the west side of Circular Quay in Sydney with my solar eclipse/SCUBA buddy from Oz, and he suggested I try the ‘roo. When the waiter put the plate on the table, he moved it into place in several hops, while saying “Skip, skip, skip.”.

5. donnah says:

I’ll miss Shakespeare’s Sister. Melissa was smart, diligent, and tough. But she also took things very personally and she had been suffering from a multitude of physical ailments that finally knocked her down. And she lost three beloved cats in relatively rapid succession recently. I know the stress was really overwhelming and while I will miss her writing, I understand, empathize, and send her the best.

6. Big Bad Bald Bastard says:

That’s a blow, he was always entertaining, always enlightening.

7. Condi says:

We’re getting to be of an age where this will happen more and more; I kidded myself when Doghouse went a couple of years ago that it was just an anomaly.

You know, like aging is an anomaly…

8. Mark Fleming says:

He was very encouraging to so many who blogged during the Golden Age and got little notice elsewhere.

9. MDavis says:

So I follow the link and find the author heading for Skippy’s hospital room to visit, but there’s a password.
    Swordfish. It’s always swordfish.
    I weep./