Bad Packaging, Cont.

I had to look-up this one, and then it’s pretty funny, I guess? I asked my sister, and she howled.

(Hat tip: Scissorhead Dennis Cole)

This entry was posted in Bad Packaging. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Bad Packaging, Cont.

1. MDavis says:

What would Shari do?

2. Astamari says:

Maybe a different generation but I knew right away who Lamb Chop was supposed to be but this is really a strange offering. Those aren’t even meat, right? (BTW, even as a child, I felt really uncomfortable watching Shari Lewis; she and Lamb Chop were just weird.)

3. donnah says:

Oh, I love it! I used to have a Lamb Chop puppet and thought Shari Lewis was wonderful. Later, when I was an adult and saw interviews with Lewis, I liked her even more. She had a wicked sense of humor.

4. Lsamsa says:

Oh my…this is Lamb Chop!! What is wrong with this store…have you no respect??!! (I’ll give them ‘clever’ though.)
    Okay, sorry, a part of my childhood that I did really enjoy. Shari Lewis was an amazing ventriloquist, better than most & her tv show (late 50’s into early 60’s) captivated many of us then.
    There were interesting lessons to be learned in her shows…indulge me, this one is great IMO.

• MDavis says:

It’s a weird joke. It’s puppets by the pound and I don’t even know if they would have been a good deal in 1979* and I guess I’m old and this is some sort of humor test, because it cracks me up but other people here are taking it a different way. I tell people that I don’t have a sense of humor, allegedly, but i tell jokes anyway. I mostly get laughs from my straight comments and puzzled looks from my jokes. This comment board might explain that.
      *The “best by” date is Mar 02 1979

5. moeman says:

Try the veal.

6. John Jacobs says:

Shari Lewis would have loved this. Her humor was always always very slick and had a lot for adults to laugh at.

7. E.A. Blair says:

I remember her well, probably starting with Captain Kangaroo. She had other puppets, too — I recall Charlie Horse and Hush Puppy, and there were a couple of others. She did a commercial with Lamb Chop (I don’t remember the product being flacked); the commercial ends with a staged argument, and at the end of it, Lamb Chop said, “I oughta give you a sock!”. Lewis said, “Oh, shut up! You are a sock!”, then she pulled the pupped off her hand and tossed it aside.

8. Dennis Cole says:

TG –

All I can say is that if you’re of a certain age, say, 50+, and you didn’t recognize poor Lamb Chop packaged up for consumption, then you had a very deprived childhood. Mine, on the other hand, was quite depraved.

9. JDM says:

A bit of Shari Lewis trivia: she and her husband were big Star Trek fans and lived Scotty; they wrote the episode where Scotty has a love interest. Shari also appeared in a very funny episode of “Man from UNCLE”.

• JDM says:

Should be “loved Scotty”. 🙂

• MDavis says:

That was a good episode with some nice bits. Like:
      Love interest throws Scott across the room. He lands on his butt, smiles dreamily and says “I told you she wouldna hurt me.” Reminds me of a real relationship.

10. Pyed says:

I didn’t exactly howl. I laughed like a hyena. Now everyone is keeping an eye on me in case I suddenly attack.