Hair Füror’s immigration (non)policies gets 40% approval and 57% disapproval nationally in the latest WashPost-ABC poll. Yay! Maybe we’re not so awful after all!
So while those kinds of numbers seem like a disaster when taken at a flying bird’s eye view, but when the bird is on the ground, the picture is much different. U-oh!
Axios morning email thingie (weird formatting, bullets, embolding is theirs):
“Swing voters in a focus group in Michigan praised President Trump on immigration — a potential Republican strength in one of the states most likely to determine the 2020 winner, Axios’ Alexi McCammond reports from Warren, Mich.
- Why it matters: Trump won Michigan by less than half a percentage point, so keeping every voter on board is vital.
- The lengthy conversation of a focus group doesn’t yield the quantitative insight of a statistically valid poll. But it illuminates how key groups of voters are thinking and talking among themselves…
- The room got really animated when discussing opposition to proposals by 2020 Democrats to give health care to undocumented immigrants.
- Rhonda H. said: “They’ll come from anywhere and get a house and a car, too. … I don’t want to be a jerk. I feel terrible for these people, but there are people in this country who are struggling to survive. We need to focus on the United States.”
- Others mentioned veterans or homeless people in the U.S. who they thought should be prioritized over immigrants.
Eight of the 12 participants, including one Romney-Clinton voter, agreed with this statement: “When we give migrants food, clothing, toiletries, and shelter, all we’re doing is encouraging more of them to come to the U.S., and we don’t want that.”
That sounds a lot like Trump’s populism/nationalism policy has struck a chord, and I don’t think of Michigan as being strictly Possum Hollar. The “struggling to survive” comment seems key to me. So what’s making the Midwest anxious?
They are not losing their jobs to immigrants, the rust belters (is too a wird!) are losing their jobs to Prznint Art-of-the-Deal’s trade wars.
I think that you can directly relate that anxiety to Tariffman’s Trade Wars. Factories in the Rust Belt continue to move offshore because The Russian Usurper is making it impossible for them to operate here. The dairy farmers in the Midwest are being clobbered, and regular farmers have seen their profits fall off a cliff and are in massive loan default territory. So pretty much all the major industries in the midwest are impacted because Prznint McDeals doesn’t understand tariffs, trade, or much of anything else.
Now I know that the 2020 Goat Rodeo contenders come to MPS for policy advice and our deep economic insights, so here it is: tie this back to Prznint Stupid. He won Michigan by a hair-thin margin, less than 1 point, it shouldn’t take much to remind them about cause and effect when they feel anxious.