Bad Marketing, Cont.

Does no one ever read these things?

(H/T: Scissorhead Skinny-D)

This entry was posted in Bad Marketing. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Bad Marketing, Cont.

1. Karla says:

I find the gymnastics our brains go through to see what we want to see while proofreading to be fascinating. It’s why it’s so difficult to proofread your own writing.

2. antiscience says:

Uh, what? I re-read it 3-4 times, and don’t see it. Care to share more explicitly?

• mamadillo says:

I think there’s an age-related problem here. To put it as delicately as I can manage, “gash” was a long-ago euphemism for female genital parts. If you knew the word, then the URL would jump right out at you, hmm? Long ago a book I was reading carried a hyphenation of a word from one page to the next. The last word on the page was the- . The next page started with “rapist”. That was at least 30 years ago, and whenever I see “therapist” in print my poor brain still pronounces it as two words.

There was a store in Campbell, in the South Bay Area named Therapy, but of course being modern design-centric homewares, they hyphenated it on the sign into two lines:
        The-
        Rapey

I just couldn’t go in.

• purplehead says:

I did not know that. Once I realized TG was reading that as “gash” eating and not gas-heating, I was thinking “wound” eating, which is just plain weird, unless one is a fly-larva.

• FELINE MAMA says:

Thank you, antiscience. I thought it was ME! I wasn’t getting it either. And as far as “mamadillo” states, I’m still in the dark. Maybe age related. I’m old.
      But, thanks to all, for the “education”

• antiscience says:

But y’know, I -knew- that … euphemism for a certain ladypart. But just never associated it with …. sigh, I need to work on my dirty mind. Clearly. Too much clean living.

You’ve come to the right place!

• mamadillo says:

I’m 71. Just to play with words one more time: Fifty years ago or so one of my grandmother’s sisters (the one we lovingly referred to as “crazy Aunt Peggy”) phoned to ask what “loponies” were. Much discussion ensued, with three of the other five sisters being called for help. Eventually Peg called back to say she’d found the answer! Yet another badly hyphenated word: poloponies, or as it was printed, po-loponies. Our family never lacked for entertainment.

3. Stephanie Eleanor Leah Avebury says:

Do they make housecalls?

4. Nangleator says:

Might be intentional. I remember seeing a tool van with a message that said, “My tool in your hand puts a smile on my face.”

5. skinnydennis says:

That’s a tongue-in-groove address, so to speak.