A little music to get you in the mood?
First, the set-up courtesy of Axios:
|19 Democratic candidates visited the Iowa Democratic Party’s Hall of Fame yesterday to deliver a five-minute campaign pitch to a throng of state party activists — and they hit the stage with a walk-out song of their own choosing, per TIME’s Lissandra Villa:
- Michael Bennet: “The Rising,” Bruce Springsteen
- Cory Booker: “Lovely Day,” Bill Withers
- Steve Bullock: “Small Town,” John Mellencamp
- Pete Buttigieg: “Never Giving Up,” Batchelor
- Bill de Blasio: “Rudie Can’t Fail,” The Clash
- John Delaney: “I’ve Been Everywhere,” Johnny Cash
- Tulsi Gabbard: “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
- Kirsten Gillibrand: “Good as Hell,” Lizzo
- Kamala Harris: “Work That,” Mary J. Blige
- John Hickenlooper: “Good Life,” OneRepublic
- Jay Inslee: “Mr. Blue Sky,” Electric Light Orchestra
- Amy Klobuchar: “The Bullpen,” Dessa
- Beto O’Rourke: “Clampdown,” The Clash
- Tim Ryan: “Old Town Road,” Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus
- Bernie Sanders: “Power to the People,” John Lennon
- Eric Swalwell: “Caught Up in the Country,” Rodney Atkins
- Elizabeth Warren: “9 to 5,” Dolly Parton
- Marianne Williamson: “Higher Ground,” Stevie Wonder
- Andrew Yang: “Return of the Mack,” Mark Morrison
For the most point, I think that these are pretty good songs for the candidates! I like that The Clash is making a strong showing. Not all of the songs are spot-on, of course. But we’re not here to slag on the Democrats, we are here to slag on the Republicans!
For 1/17 of 1/3 of a point towards your midterm test, select a song for Comrade Stupid and explain your choice.
For a bonus, you can direct your musical chops to ANY Republican of your choice and pretend s/he is running and choose a song for him/her.
This entry was posted in music
, Pop Quiz!
. Bookmark the permalink