Midday Palate Cleanser

Look at that jerk! Couldn’t Buffy-the-Egg Layer (see what I did there?) get a Lyft like everyone else? No, she couldn’t, she’d rather have some hoomin peddle her over hill and dale. Jerk.

(Hat tip: Scissorhead Purplehead, who is valiantly trying to re-hab me or the entire avian community, depending! That’s dedication to the cause, peeps.)

This entry was posted in Birds Are Jerks, Palate Cleansers. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Midday Palate Cleanser

1. donnah says:

OMG! She has a little helmet on! Squeeeee!

Also, not a jerk. Just adorable.

Also, after a ride like that, does she lay scrambled eggs?

2. Speed Racer Chicken!

3. A night or two after this past Easter I was in a parking lot where I saw 4-5 freshly hatched chicks smashed flat on the asphalt, it was gruesome. Birds were wildly shrieking all over the place in the surrounding trees as a feral cat entered the tragic scene and picked up something black by the lip of the lot’s curb and slunk away like a bastard. From that very spot where the cat made off with the black thing there came a steady stream of deeply loud screams, absolutely desperate and before I knew it I was out of the car and racing toward it. As I neared it, it bolted out toward me for protection. It was a newborn black baby chick. His parents fled in a furious flurry of squawks but, with cats, cars and humans, who could blame them.
    So, a heating pad and big bag of chick starter later, we have Kevin.
    Through Kevin I’ve discovered that birds aren’t really jerks -they just don’t have hands.

Anyway, all these years I had no idea of how affectionate, fun and communicative chickens are. If you ever get the chance to hand-raise one -do it, they bring a lot of joy.

• MDavis says:

I’ve known a few people with pet chickens. From what I gather, the worst thing about a pet chicken is that it doesn’t live very long. They are also a bit vulnerable to predators, but that just gives them a shorter lifespan if they escape your protection at the wrong time.
      Happy times with Kevin!!

My friend and neighbor back in San Jose had some chickens that she named Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria. And they were as nice a pet as could be. She cried like a baby when the first one “went to college.” (I think Pinta was the last one.) It started off that she wanted them for eggs, but they ended up being her pals.

Chickens might be an exception to the Birds are Jerks rule. I’ll have to check with the authorities.

4. donnah says:

Oh, good for you! And for Kevin!

5. purplehead says:

TG, I thought peeps were ducks[-like].

6. Karla says:

I want to know what the unfortunate accident was that caused the hoomin to put a helmet on the chicken in the first place.

7. ming says:

Buffy the Buff Orpington – cute. The helmet must be a little hood to keep her calm riding because “I want to go see someplace new” is something that no chicken said ever.

8. revzafod says:

Ahem; I am not a psychiatrist, nor do I play one on TV, but I would venture a guess that someone’s parents let him watch a certain Alfred Hitchcock movie starring Tippi Hedren at far too young an age.

Not mine! My mom as a youngster got attacked by some birds in Laguna Beach and refused to let us watch that movie. In a great act of rebellion, I watched it as a teen.

9. To enhance this posting, I recommend The Hen Party, by James Thurber.

• MDavis says:

Thurber is always a win.
      The earliest thing I remember seeing/reading of his:
      “one, two, three… ”
      “When does the magic tree drop a jewelled apple?”
      “four, five, six… when I say ‘one thousand'”
      Plop…

10. revzafod says:

Look at that yo-yo,
    That’s the way you do it
    You ride the basket on the YTV.
    That ain’t workin’,
    That’s the way you do it,
    Money for nothin’ and your chicks for free…

with apologies to Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits