RIP, TIM CONWAY

Tim Conway, one of the truly great comics, has left us. The world seems a little duller, suddenly. He was 85.

There is probably no finer comic pairing that Tim Conway and Harvey Korman on the Carol Burnett Show, and if there is, I would love to know about it.

Spend some time googling Conway today and have a laugh or two (or two hundred); it really is the best tribute you can make, and it’s the one he would want.

Flags at MPS World HQ will be at half-mast today. Conway will be missed.

This entry was posted in Dead Celebrities. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to RIP, TIM CONWAY

1. Kiwiwriter says:

He was one-third of that brilliant trio that supported Carol Burnett: him, Harvey Korman, and Vicki Lawrence.

You could see them trying to keep from breaking up at some of their funnier sketches on her show.

2. MDavis says:

I’ll tell our flag guy.

3. Steve-O says:

One of my favorites:

4. moeman says:

R.I.P. Tim Conway.

Some of his comedic work on The Carol Burnett Show literally had me crying tears of laughter.

5. Rocky D says:

One of the funniest people ever. And funny can get us through a lot. Sad that he’s gone.

6. tengrain says:

I would love to see a script for any of his skits, because I’m sure it would consist of just the set-up (“Tim is a nervous first-time dentist…) and a list of props, and just let him do his bidness. The bit with the novacaine is genius.

I do think that while Conway liked the roar of the audience, I think he really performed for his cast-mates. I always thought that was his real audience.

If there is a Pantheon of Comedy, the Carol Burnett Show must be near the top.

7. there was a local actor, Gerard Nugent that was a gifted actor as well as a physical comedy genius. We saw him once in The Nerd reduce the rest of the cast to incomprehensibility, and then he just ad libbed and riffed, which gave them no chance to recover. Laura Gordon spent the entire interlude staring fixedly down into her teacup. It was hilarious, and all I could think of was the sketches on Carol Burnett where Tim Conway would do that.

8. FELINE MAMA says:

If you could NOT laugh hysterically when Mr. Korman & Mr. Conway had the script, you were DEAD!.. By far the GREATEST comedic team of all.
    I am a true die-hard Laurel & Hardy fan, but, these guys were Different!!
    FM haz a BIG TIME SADZ today!!

9. E.A. Blair says:

Back in my college days, I got pulled in to a debate on the greatest comedy team ever (I think the CB show was still on the air back then, so everybody overlooked it). The answers were pretty traditional – Abbot & Costello, Smothers Brothers, Marx Brothers, Martin & Lewis, Rowan & Martin, Nichold & May, Stiller & Meara. When my turn came to nominate, I said, “Michael Maltese and Charles M. Jones”. If you don’t know who they are, Google ’em.

Speak!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s