Dems Try Symbolic Gestures

Living Typo Steve Mnuchin stars in Goldstinker

Worst. Bond. Villain. Ever. Steve Mnuchin’s criminal defiance to obey a legal request to turn over Comrade Stupid’s taxes to Congress might have consequences for himself!

Axios:

“Much as I like the visual of [throwing people in jail], I think it’s far more practical to consider levying individual fines on the person — not the office — until they comply. You could fine someone $25,000 a day until they comply. You can do that. We’re looking through the history and studying the law to make sure we’re on solid ground.” –House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff

Living typo Steve Mnuchin and his villainess wife, Craven Moorehead

Obviously, $25,000/day  is probably more than most people could afford, but before he was a common Trumpian grifter, Mnunchin’s career was stealing spectacular amounts of money from us serfs in the lead-up to the 2008 market crash, you know, foreclosing on bad real estate debt. So Mnunchin’s wife Louise Linton spends more daily for her Bond Villainess S&M outfits, but it does add up, and with a net worth north of $300M Ameros, he could hold out for, oh… 12 THOUSAND DAYS.

In the immortal words of Lucile Bluth:

Also, let’s see Schiff collect it. Hilarity ensues.

The WaPo:

A House committee issued subpoenas Friday ordering Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Internal Revenue Service Commissioner Charles Rettig to turn over President Trump’s tax returns by next Friday at 5 p.m., according to copies of the subpoenas provided by the committee. House Ways and Means Chair Richard E. Neal (D-Mass.) authorized the subpoenas following months of disagreements with the Trump administration over whether federal law allows Congress to obtain the records.

“The IRS is under a mandatory obligation to provide the information requested,” the subpoenas state. “The IRS has had more than four weeks to comply with the Committee’s straightforward request. Therefore, please see the enclosed subpoena.”

I have not seen a reply from the Treasury, nor a check from Mnuchin.

This entry was posted in Human typo Steve Mnuchin, Little-Kremlin-on-the-Potomac. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Dems Try Symbolic Gestures

1. Scottie says:

Hello TG. As I understand it the civil penalty they can have a court enforce. It doesn’t go through the Ag office. The right of congress to levy fines has been upheld in the past. However those were times in which most people pretended to honor the rules, unlike now were the real fun is in openly breaking them as fast as possible. My question is if the House levies fines on the corrupt crew in the administration, will the Senate Republicans try to fine well known Democrats? Hugs

I don’t think this is going to go anywhere, Scottie. Even if they do somehow fine Mnuchin, I’m sure he will be paid back by We the People .

It’s headline grabbing, but I don’t think it is any more likely to be effective than the legally binding subpoenas have been.

• Astamari says:

The Senate cannot fine the House (and vice-versa). Nor is the USDA involved in this
      since Mnuchin is Secretary of the Treasury not Agriculture.

• Scottie says:

Hello Astamari. I think you misunderstood my comment. The House and Senate can levy fines on people both individually or on departments. They then ask the courts to enforce the fines. The AG I referred to is the Attorney General. Hugs

2. Karla says:

Can we fine him $1 million per day? Then he might sit up and take notice, especially if we froze his bank accounts.

Karla –

I believe that the the sequence would be a judge would issue the order and the AG would be the enforcer, so unlikely. I could be wrong, but I think Schiff has to get a judge, he cannot do it himself.

• Scottie says:

Hello TG. On civil fines the House can issue the fine, then file a suit in court to ask the court to in force the fine. It by passes the AG as it is civil, not criminal. Hugs

And they we have it! Thanks Scottie! –TG

• Scottie says:

Hello TG. The two questions are will a court take up the case and enforce it, and as this has not been used since 1934 will the courts still let let it be used? Hugs

• Sirius Lunacy says:

Would a person who has already refused a subpoena pay any more attention to a court ordered fine? And would it then become a criminal case for failing to pay the fine and end up back with the AG after all?

• Dennis Cole says:

Karla – I think the reason they’re using that $25,000 Amero number is because that’s the upper limit in the statutes they’re looking at. I was reading about this over the weekend, and presumably it’s from a musty, dusty old lawbook from around a century ago.
      So one of the arguments, or rebuttals Mnuchin and his ilk can use is that those statutes are outdated, have never actually been tested in a court of law, and are therefore not applicable.

Murky, uncharted waters ahead, and beware! Sea monsters lurk ‘neath every wave, and you don’t want to discover any shoals by being the very first vessel to run aground on them.

• Karla says:

Dennis –
        So back from when $25K meant something.
        If I was king of the world, I’d index it to inflation. What would it be now?

• Dennis Cole says:

Karla – I’m so disgruntled that I didn’t bother to employ my investigative skills (hah!) as thoroughly as I might have, I just read something about it in my FB News Feed, and clicked on the link, but didn’t delve any further. But it referenced either 1924 or ’34 Codes that were established to deal with this very situation, so after a slight bit of googling, I come up with $25,000 then is equal to approx. $475,820 in today’s Ameros.
        THAT’S almost real moolah, there.

3. paul fredine says:

can’t we just take any fines out of his paycheck…or is he just holding that office as an unpaid hobby?

His hobby, I’m led to believe, is taking selfies with money.

• Dennis Cole says:

Paul –
      That’s another avenue they’re exploring – completely withholding the funds necessary to run their Dep’t., since Congress IS in charge of the checkbook. Problem is, to these millionaires, a measly gov’t. paycheck is just a drop in the bucket, so that withholding his monthly stipend would not affect him a whit. And the bounceback from such an action would be not paying the people who do the actual work, so you’d be punishing those who could least afford it.